Skip to main content

tv   To the Contrary With Bonnie Erbe  WHUT  September 18, 2010 11:00am-11:30am EDT

11:00 am
>> the new 2011 lexus i.s. it isn't real performance unless it's wielded with precision. >> the life technologies foundation is proud to support "to the contrary" on pbs. our foundation seeks to advance science education and to further society's understanding of the life sciences including the impact of genomics on the practice of medicine. >> and by: sam's club, committed to small business. and the spirit of the entrepreneur. and proud to support pbs's "to the contrary" with bonnie erbe. additional funding provided by: the colcom foundation the charles a. frueauff foundation and by the sanofi aventis foundation. >> this week on "to the contrary" california's
11:01 am
senator barbara boxer versus carly fiorina. then, for the first time, more women earned doctoral degrees than men. hello, i'm bonnie erbe. welcome to "to the contrary," a discussion of news and social trends from diverse perspectives. senate seat. this week, tea party candidates pulled off surprising wins in state primaries with the biggest win going to christine o'donnell in the delaware senate race. sarah palin's endorsement loomed large on tuesday. some say the real test of palin's political sway will be in california, where republican
11:02 am
candidate carly fiorina hopes to unseat three-term democratic senator barbara boxer. we asked boxer and fiorina to square off in separate interviews, responding to the same questions. true to form, they don't even agree on whether today's women have achieved parity. >> when have always been equal. equally good. equally bad. and we deserve our chance. so i'm glad the republican party has turned to their women. it's good. >> obviously not yet. it is still true that in too many industries women still aren't necessarily paid in the same way for the same work as men. it is still true that women in positions of responsibility are scrutinized in character tour different than men. i know that personally, i mean i started as a secretary. i typed and i filed and i
11:03 am
answered the phones in a nine-person company. and ultimately i became a chief executive. >> i think we also have to acknowledge that there's been a great deal of progress made. >> with the race this close endorsements can pack a lot of muscle. especially one from sarah palin. fiorina is part of pack of mama grizzlies. >> she's a hugely important and meaningful figure to a whole set of very important voters. >> sarah palin's endorsement does several things. number one, it just shows how out of touch with california carly fiorina is. sarah palin's reasons for endorsing her was clear. she's anti-choice. she's for drill baby drill.
11:04 am
and that she believes that you should have all of the guns that you want even if you're on the terrorist watch list. ok? so that puts her out of step so it sends a signal to people who don't know carly fiorina that this is who she really is. now, on the bright side for carly fiorina is that there is no question sarah palin has a following in the tea party. now fiorina has made a big run for the tea party endorsement and so it does energize the tea party voters and, therefore, i have to energize the other voters, the mainstream voters, >> since she first won the senate seat in 1992, senator boxer has been outspoken advocate of abortion rights. california as a whole is less the center or this issue. its voters haven't elected anyone who opposes abortion rights statewide since governor george deukmejian won in 1982. but carly fiorina hopes to change that. >> well, california also hasn't elected a republican senator for almost 30 years. it doesn't mean the past is necessarily prologue. >> i believe that life begins at conception, so in political terms, that would make me pro-life. and i am there because of the
11:05 am
personal issues i have had in my life. and i've held these beliefs for a long time. i recognize and appreciate that not everyone agrees with me on that issue. but the truth is most people don't agree with barbara boxer, who is quite extreme on this issue. she supports partial-birth abortion. she's said babies don't have rights until they leave the hospital. she believes that taxpayers should be funding abortion. most people don't agree with her either. >> the fact of the matter is that she is highly anti-choice right now. she is so radical, bonnie, on this issue that she positions herself on the right of every republican senator, female senator. several of them are not pro-choice but they don't want to overturn roe v. wade, which is the law that stopped women from being put in jail and doctors from being put in jail >> but the top issue isn't abortion rights. both capped dates agree it's jobs.
11:06 am
>> and on that i feel on very solid ground because we know that we are going through the worst recession since the great depression. i don't sugarcoat it; i know how hard it is. and i believe very, very strongly that if we hadn't taken the steps that we took to pass an economic recovery act, to -- my opponent would have voted against it. barbara boxer believes bigger government, thicker regulations, higher taxes and more debt is the answer. she will point to bills that she supported say they're job creating bigs. she called the stimulus bill, a job-creation bill. but it didn't create jobs. she will call some of the bills that have passed in the last couple of weeks job-creation jobs but they're not. so she can say all kinds of things. i think what i will continue to focus on is what is her track record? what are the factual results of
11:07 am
her track record? and what are the factual results of the bills she's taken. and i will contrast those with a life run in the real world. i know how to create a job. i've done it. i've met a payroll. i started in a small business. i know how to cut billions of dollars worth of expenditures. she hasn't done any of those things. and she hasn't helped the people of california. >> my opponent is running very strongly on her record as the hewlett packard ceo. what she doesn't tell voters and i have to tell them this, is that she was fired from that job after laying off 30,000 workers shipping jobs to china to europe to india to malaysia. all other countries. she created jobs in other countries. she hurt people deeply. and when she got fired herself, she got a $21 million severance pay. now that's why i think she doesn't get the fact that people need a few hundred dollars a week to survive in unemployment.
11:08 am
>> well, i think barbara boxer when she says that i shouldn't run because i laid people off, she demonstrates her lack of understanding about the choices of businesses in all sizes that need to make in tough times. yes, id that make tough choices in tough times. and the hardest thing for a leader to do is to tell someone that they don't have a job anymore. but in this stays families and businesses are making tough choices every day. the reason so many people are out of work here is because businesses are having to lay people off. and so what enrages people in the state of california is while they are making tough choices barbara boxer is running around saying, let's tax more, let's >> from the economy to health care. the majority of californians support the health care law president obama signed in march. 58% also believe more needs to be done to fix the healthcare system.
11:09 am
fiorina has been outspoken in her disapproval of the current law after being diagnosed with breast cancer in february 2009, she says she has seen firsthand what changes need to be made to the health care system. and this law doesn't do it. >> well, the battle with cancer, i'm one of the lucky ones. i have seen the best and the worst of our healthcare system. i know the survival rates of i know how important the doctor-patient relationship is. believe this health care bill has to be repealed because it is so fatally flawed. it puts government task force in the middle of this patient-doctor relationship. it drives up the cost of healthcare. it does nothing to improve the accessibility of healthcare, and it is not compassion to throw 16 medicaid, a program that is already underfunded, a program that is vastly underfunded here in california. >> health care reform was a
11:10 am
tremendous accomplishment for this president and the congress. i think people want to see it move forward if there are problems, my opponent wants to repeal it. imagine repealing all those things. and putting the insurance companies back in charge allowing them to walk away. allow them to say, nope, you had cancer before, you have a preexisting kin, forget it. >> polls have candidates in a virtual tie. the outcome won't just affect the people of california analysts say it could signal a significant change for the national political screen. >> my race is one of the clearest choices in the nation. you just name the issue and pretty much my opponent and me are on different sides. so i think it's important that everybody pays attention to it so as i said when we started talking about women and politics. i am all for the republicans choosing women to represent them, but then the choice becomes between the two
11:11 am
candidates. and to me as a woman who cares about women, who cares about families, who cares about this economy, who cares about the environment, who cares about freedom and peace and all those things, what's important is what are the positions of the women, what are the positions of the men, and what does it mean for our families. >> all the senate races that are going on. all the congressional races going on all across the country lots of people are paying attention to. because i think people have the sense that this is about more than a single feat. this is really a battle of pretty different ideas. barbara boxer and i couldn't have a more different set of ideas about what we need to do going forward. and we could not have more different life experiences. >> why is this race so significant? what does it mean somebody in iowa if fiorina wins or boxer snips. >> i'm not surprised if you look
11:12 am
at barbara boxer who is a liberal democrat she has always run an uphill race even in progressive california and she wins. watch out, fiorina. >> i this it's important for the country to see two powerful women running against each other for a powerful position, sends a great message. also shows that discontinue contrast wherever we're going. that's important nationally. >> i think it's also important to remember that we talk about liberal california. california has very many conservative areas. and it's not as liberal in the voting as people think it is. i think it's going to be a ties rate. it's important for the rest of the country to see this is the mama grizzly versus the established well-known candidate. >> i think this is american sending a signal they want a shift in the balance of power in washington.
11:13 am
>> why do you say that -- >> this race in particular? >> i think it's one very clear example. because the people that are going to make the biggest difference in this race are these independent voters. independent voters that moved away from obama a year ago and are really concerned about economic issues and spending. >> but even though they're running statistically insignificant difference. boxer is still two points ahead in the polls. typically as these kinds of situations get closer to election day, we're going to see independence dents not vote for the tea party candidate. >> except in extremely conservative states. >> sure. i think the difference is, you can label her whatever you want. i don't know that she would go around and tie a cape on saying she's that the. she's saying -- >> these aggressively purr suited the tea party wing and sarah palin. >> these aggressively pursuing independents, conservatives, republicans. what you're saying is party affiliation -- >> you can't go after all those groups at the same time.
11:14 am
>> of course you can. when you don't have a job you're not a republican or democrat you're a person looking for a job. it's hard to believe that the people that got you in the mess, the people that are part of the institutional washington are the ones that are going to -- >> these running as a far right republican in a grow says sieve state. the only reason she's running as well as she is, is because we're in the middle of a deep recession and everybody is hurting. and everybody is mad. i mean, here is where women's issues may come to the floor as we get to the election day. where she doesn't have any idea what to do about the economy any better than boxer. you look where she stands on abortion. and on women's issues. i don't think california is going to go with a pro choice woman. >> pro-life woman. >> i don't believe so. >> i'm sorry. i don't think that, number one, that the difference between the electorate how they choose voters come down to abortion, not in this climate.
11:15 am
that has been an issue in the past. i think that because of the economy, that is what is going to determine how people vote. california made up of 25% independent voters or unaffiliated voters, that's a pretty large chunk. if that is -- those are going to make the difference. >> i want to ask, about fiorina said it's not true that stimulus package created jobs. >> it is true. >> wait! not permanent jobs. but many, many jobs. hundreds and thousands of jobs. i mean, that inaccuracy. plus, i want to ask you whether people who desperately need a job are going to look at these two candidates and say, fiorina made the tough choices made -- put 30,000 americans out of work. do i really want her in congress cutting costs and cutting my unemployment benefits? or do i want barbara boxer who is going to support -- >> first of all i disagree with
11:16 am
the creation of job issue in california. today the "los angeles times" came out with a story that showed that the economic stimulus package was signed in to law, california lost 455,000 jobs. it's pretty clear with the 12.3% unemployment rate that jobs have not been created in california. went up some 10.8% to 12.3 in the last year and a half. jobs are hemorrhaging still in california. i also think that people look at a c.e.o. and they understand someone who has real life practical experience, tough choices will be made do they think that someone who has been in the business world, doesn't understand the importance of creating jobs versus career politician who wants to expand government that doesn't work -- >> i think she understands the importance of creating jobs. creating them overseas. the importance of creating them here, number one. number two, i just like to say in this state of missouri, in the last three weeks one of the first stimulus projects was completed which was a bridge, created new jobs and it was
11:17 am
hailed as the first completed stimulus project. other thing talking about hemorrhaging of jobs and loss of jobs how many more would have been lost but for the stimulus package. how many school teachers, how many police officers, how many firemen, would have been laid off public service is not there. i don't think we can go, wow, stimulus package did not work. it was sucked up by states that were hemorrhaging a a lot of small business owners in california recognize that to be competitive that large employers are going to other states. they're looking at other viabilities, they're trying to do whatever they can to get their own family's economies moving. >> and looking for new fresh ideas. when they look at federal government they say you're expanding the role of federal government, causing debt, we don't see that this is going to benefit our state. >> i tell you -- >> the republicans. because they just passed the small business bill that the president has been trying to get for months now. finally them come back and when
11:18 am
we try to get them to do something about small businesses for six months, they went home, heard people say, pass obama's bill. it passed the senate and going to pass before we go home. >> too little too late. >> wait. >> hold on a second let's wrap up this was big week in terms of primaries and other states than california. the most talked about one is o'donnell's win, a woman in delaware. a very outspoken in the words of karl rove saying nutty things to the point of saying nutty things like, masturbation is adultery which i can't quite figure that one out at all is the other -- who is being cheated on there? but tea party candidates, will they as in the case of ron paul in kentucky win a lot of new senate seats for the republicans or as the case with o'donnell or the g.o.p. has written her off as some kind of freak, are they
11:19 am
going to cost republican seats in the senate? >> i think that the tea party movement is fantastic. i'm glad to see that kind of grass roots involvement in what is happening here. however, in the game of politics this is now -- is the big boy. and i think it's demographic. the tea party movement in general election in delaware may be a little bit more problematic because, i don't know if the electorate statewide in delaware is going to elect someone as conservative as o'donnell. where as in kentucky, and other places i think that in the south, south carolina, those areas are think the tea party movement energizes folks, brings people out and huge enthusiasm about -- >> would it work in already republican states. it doesn't work in the bash -- >> we don't know that. >> does it do more than that? does it cost republican seats they otherwise might have won? >> all i can say, is thank you tea party republicans in
11:20 am
delaware. >> the female candidates to female doctorates. women have conquered the final frontier of higher education-doctoral degrees. this, according to a new report showing for the first time women received the majority of ph.d.s during the 2008-2009 school year. women have long outnumbered men in undergraduate and graduate studies, earning 57% of bachelor's degrees and 59% of master's degrees. in recent years women also achieved parity with men in law and medical studies. but male dominance in engineering and mathematics helped men hold onto their majority in doctoral studies up until now. and although men still earn close to 80% of engineering phds, women have taken the lead in other fields, including social and behavioral sciences, education, and health sciences, an area where women now earn 70%
11:21 am
of doctorates. so, leslie sanchez i want to go back to the first question that -- >> tea party? >> no. firina and boxer answered which is, with women now earning more b.a.s in liberal arts and now phds are women, have we 'cheat parity or not? >> it depends on your definition of we've come a long way, no doubt you look at the more opportunity, more women opening their own businesses, the flexibility is there. and women are still forced to make very tough choices, stay home and take care of the family, move out of the workforce for a period of auto time then on-ramp back in. very competitive. more corporations trying to help do that. but i think you different angle, speaking at university campuses there's a lot of concern among administrators that men are not matching the number of women applying and entering, even
11:22 am
undergraduate they want to make sure we're continuing to build an educated workforce. that's the overall -- >> this is no where near parity. first of all a fair number of these phds are in education, we need more of them. but -- >> which doesn't pay as well as hi-tech -- >> dominate in the upper end of the -- >> so-called science, tech -- stem jobs. >> and education, they still dominate in the upper end that have field. but, if you look at women across the board, you got to give these women credit. because this is the time when having a phd won't get you far far because the universities are using these phds as contract employees, these women have a lot of guts but if you look at the fields they are in and i want them to keep pushing because they have broken one barrier, now we've got to break the barriers across the board for phds not only in pushing in other areas, in other fields
11:23 am
besides the ones where we beer beginning. >> not only women are they competing against men, they're also competing on a global scale as well. the number of jobs and phds in stem areas, science, technology, engineering, math we are falling behind from foreign pet terse in these areas. we need to boost our workforce overall. i saw a study by the american association of university women that came out this year, that talked about the despair tee between women, why aren't there more women in these fields of studies. still stems back to the gender disparities and stereotype beginning in elementary and middle school. they said, this was combination of several studies looking at the various factors. they showed where teachers and parents got involved and encouraged girls and told them, you can be -- you are just as good as boys in math that that helps encouraged women in to going to those fields of study. so we need to keep encouraging
11:24 am
our girls to get those phds and become engineers. >> or retrain parents or something because when you say about ten years ago i went to carnegie melon which has excellent school of computer science, they were trying to recruit girls, one of the students i interviewed told me the same thing you just said about how little girl will say, oh, i want a computer. they will get a doll. and the little boy will ask for computer he gets one. when i'm making -- we're not making any progress in that area? did do you that for your kids? >> well first of all i have two sons. i'm worried now because they could achieve more if they were women. [laughter] i agree with you. on a lot of what you just said. i know when i got my juris doctor. >> , a phd, i don't know what your statistics were, 21% of my law school class was women now it's 55% in law school. i think it is what we're teaching early on encouragement
11:25 am
that we're giving children saying you can do just as well as the woman. >> all right. and that's it for this edition of "to the contrary." next week health and human services secretary explains how health care reform will impact your life starting now. please join us on the web for "to the contrary extra" and whether your views are in agreement or to the contrary, please join us next time. >> funding for "to the contrary" provided by: >> the new 2011 lexus is. it isn't real performance unless it's wielded with precision. >> the life technologies foundation is proud to support "to the contrary" on pbs. our foundation seeks to advance science education and to further
11:26 am
society's understanding of the life sciences including the impact of genomics on the practice of medicine. >> and by: sam's club, committed to small business. and the spirit of the entrepreneur. and proud to support pbs's "to the contrary" with bonnie erbe. additional funding provided by: the colcom foundation the charles a. frueauff foundation and by the sanofi aventis foundation. for videotapes of "to the contrary", please contact federal news service at 1-888-343-1940.
11:27 am
11:28 am
11:29 am
(exclaiming) (laughing)

584 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on