Skip to main content

tv   Kasie DC  MSNBC  May 27, 2018 4:00pm-6:00pm PDT

4:00 pm
♪ ♪ welcome to "kasie d.c." i'm kasie hunt. we are live every sunday from washington from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. eastern. tonight, plans for a north korea summit hit a snag. as an initial coin offering from the white house falls flat. plus, my exclusive conversation with senator james lankford. we talk about the president's insistence his campaign was spied on and we learn the senator is working secretly behind closed doors with a bipartisan group to resolve daca. but first, we are trying to answer a simple question. will the president actually be able to have a summit on june 12th with north korean leader kim jong-un after he abruptly
4:01 pm
canceled it? on friday, "the new york times" wrote the following. quote, a senior white house official told reporters that even if the meeting were reinstated holding it on june 12 would be impossible given the lack of time needed. president trump 1307bded on twitter with this false accusation. quote, the failing "the new york times" quotes a senior white house official who doesn't exist, use real people, not phony sources. the source was, in fact, a senior white house official speaking to a large group of reporters in the white house briefing room. we journalists try as hard as we can to always identify our sources on the record so that we can tell you, our viewers, watchers, listeners, why you should trust our information. sometimes we agree to allow people to speak anonymously. we'll refer to that as talking on background. nbc news does know the identity of this official, although we're not identifying him because we agreed not to. we, however, do not invent people. if we did, we would and should
4:02 pm
lose our jobs. but i digress. this is one small example of a phenomenon, really a strategy of president trump's to undermine the press. here's 60 minutes leslie stahl explaining a conversation she had with the president before he had taken office. >> at one point he started to attack the press. and i said, you know, that is getting tired. why are you doing this? you're doing it over and over and it's boring and it's time to end that. you know, you've won the nomination. and why do you keep hammering at this? and he said, you know why i do it? i do it to discredit you all and demean you all so when you write negative stories about me no one will believe you. he said that. so, put that in your head for a minute. >> indeed. so, what does this strategy, these attacks on the press and more importantly, the attacks on the credibility of the information that you are able to learn through the press?
4:03 pm
what does this strategy mean for our democracy? consider what dan balls at the washington post wrote in this morning's paper. quote, if the president's goal is to poison the reception to whatever bob mueller's findings turn out to be, as seems evident from what he and his allies have done, he is making progress. here's the president's lawyer rudy giuliani spelling it out even more clearly. giuliani was asked if his comments about the mueller probe are part of an intentional strategy to undermine the mueller investigation. >> they are giving us the material to do it. of course, we have to do it in defending the president. we're defending to a large extent -- remember, dana, we're defending here, it is for public opinion because eventually the decision here is going to be impeach, not impeach. remember the congress, democrat and republican are going to be informed a lot by their constituents. our jury as it should be is the american people and the american people, yes, are republicans, largely, independents, pretty
4:04 pm
substantially, and even some democrats now question the legitimacy of it. >> to impeach or not impeach. i'd like to welcome my panel to talk more about this. white house correspondent for reuters jeff mason. associate editor and columnist for real clear politics amy today art. former deputy secretary of defense msnbc analyst evelyn. and former congresswoman of maryland, donna edwards. thank you for coming in on this memorial day weekend which has not -- the pace is not what we're used to in the trump administration despite the holiday. jeff, i want to start with you because as i understand it, you were in that background briefing at the white house this past week. were you -- i'm not even sure i feel like i should ask if you were surprised this is a tact the president decided to take with regards to this. it is a little jarring for him to deny the existence of his own aide. >> it is jarring. i remember even very early on in his administration he would encourage or tweet or say reporters need to use sources with their names.
4:05 pm
i printed it out and hung it up in a little office that we work in behind the white house because so often white house officials who do speak to us very frequently white house press officials speak to us, say i can tell you this on background, which as you identified to your viewers means not with attribution to their names. they do it all the time. we, of course, would also prefer to use names. it always makes the story stronger, makes the package stronger. but that's not always the rules they play by. >> you at one point ran the white house correspondents association. we've been talking about this now several days. we were just showing maggie haberman's tweet on screen, of course "the new york times" reporter involved in this. what is the steps the correspondents association can take in a situation like this? >> that is a good question. i mean, i don't speak for the correspondents association any more, but i do think it's important for reporters whether we are all covering the white house or covering other aspects of washington or other beats around the country to stand up
4:06 pm
for truth, to call it out when something like this happens. in this case the president obviously saying something that is untrue. i think we can band together on that. and then as i repeated over and over again when i was president of the correspondents association, i think the best way we fight back is by doing good work. >> a.b. todstodardt, we want it be about the things we're writing. if we have sling ands arrows, that's part of the job. there has been a lot of republican criticism of the media over the decades. newt gingrich, we were not a favorite of his. but this does seem to be different than the kind of criticism that oftentimes politicians have thrown at the media in the past. >> well, leslie stall laid it out. president trump made it clear as a candidate. he made it very clear as the nominee. and then as president-elect and then as president that he is going to run against the media because it works. it works with his base. it works with even people who aren't even really trump
4:07 pm
supporters. republicans who believe that the media is too liberal, is biased. and then independents which are skeptical of the whole process. >> and giuliani there was claiming oh, there are some democrats who feel this way too now. >> it is a very obvious strategy. they're not trying to hide it. giuliani made it very clear he is not a legal counsel right now to the president. he's playing his spokesman on tv basically about the mueller investigation whenever he can get the chance. and it makes trump happy and he fights back and says things like rigged and illegitimate and that's what he's doing. he's making it very clear. what's frightening obviously is that it works. and what dan balls is talking about today is just how much this has become sort of tribal gladiators and the way that trump and his spokesman and sort of the pro trump media and his members of sort of this group on the hill of members of congressmen who speak for him
4:08 pm
trash anyone who defends bob mueller, he's brought his numbers way down to the point republicans don't believe anything mueller will come up with. >> i'm glad you brought up dan's column. i have more i want to share. the gap between the jeff flakes of the republican party and what increasingly is a pro-trump majority is how the president has been successful shaping opinion ahead of whatever judgment is levelled by the special counsel and his team. here's majority whip in the senate john cornyn talking with hugh hugh et about what the president has termed as spygate. >> can you explain the difference between a, quote, confidential informant, close quote, and a spy? >> well, you really can't. i mean, spies typically i think of in terms of foreign powers. but here, the fbi was involved in a counter intelligence investigation, i presume, and used somebody who had contacted
4:09 pm
various subjects of their investigation to communicate back to the fbi what they found out. i guess for all practical purposes, for most people it wouldn't be any different. >> donna edwards, i'm kind of going back in my head to that clip of rudy giuliani we showed at the top of the show where he said, look, this is going to come down to impeach or not impeach question. he was acknowledging at its core there is a legal framework, but impeachment is a political question. democrats in your party have been saying they can't get ahead of the american public. they need to let the investigation take its course, have the findings come out. and then perhaps if the political will is there, there might be a way to move forward. but it does seem as though the president and his team are swaying public opinion without much pushback necessarily from democrats. what's your take? >> well, without pushback from republicans either. and i think that part of what's happening -- >> fair. >> it's a one-sided argument
4:10 pm
because obviously bob mueller can't and won't come out and say, no, this is what we're looking at, this is the direction we're headed in. the president out there who is able to -- and i would say the press should stop using two and three sill balanyllable words at a lie. >> john cusack. >> it's much easier to understand, the public will get that. and the president has lied repeatedly because he has an intent to confuse the public. and i think by not calling it that, what happens is that the president is able to characterize things so that the american public is confused and you can see that in some of this recent polling. but it's a one-sided argument. when bob mueller comes out with his final report as we all expect that he will, and more, perhaps more convictions, but certainly more indictments than then the public will have an opportunity. republicans cannot continue to sit on the side line while the president really dismantles the
4:11 pm
system. >> evelyn parker? >> i agree with that. i spent seven years working for the senate arms services committee, one of the most bipartisan committees in the senate probably on the hill. and, you know, we always believed that nobody has the right to their own facts. and you get the facts together as republicans and democrats. so, the other thing we saw earlier this week as you well know was this attempt to get facts just to republicans. again, about the spygate thing to amp it up. >> right. you're talking about the meetings at the department of justice and information that those republicans on the hill were asking for. >> correct. and i mean, in and of itself meetings to get information, fine. but they should be bipartisan, especially when it is about an investigation of the executive branch. so, i think the biggest problem is this not calling a spade a spade. certainly falsehood is okay, but lie is even better. and then bipartisan, the republicans need to speak out and defend the institutions, the truth and the process. >> we didn't even touch on either the fact that there were white house officials at the
4:12 pm
beginning of those meetings who may or may not have had the right to see that information. through all of this, of course, the president maintains that he and kim jong-un could still meet for an historic summit in singapore on june 12. the president confirmed on twitter today that a team of u.s. officials has arrived in north korea to, quote, make arrangements for the summit. and here's what the president had to say about it last night. >> a lot of people are working on it. it's moving along very nicely, so we're looking at june 12th in singapore. that hasn't changed. and it's moving along pretty well so we'll see what happens. >> those comments came after a surprise meeting between kim jong-un and south korean president moon jae-in yesterday. afterwards president moon said north korea remains committed to holding talks with president trump and to completing the denuclearization of the peninsula. evelyn, i want to get you to weigh in on this broadly, but
4:13 pm
first, jeff mason, are you going to singapore on june 12, or are you staying home? i'm so confused. >> the fact that the president last week so very clearly canceled the summit -- >> it was a letter. >> not even the tweet. later also in his remarks that day at the white house, he said, who knows, maybe it will still happen on june 12. he's been leaving the door very wide open for that despite the very dramatic cancellation letter. he wants to go. he wants this to happen. and -- >> so, how did the letter evolve, then? obviously somebody convinced him this is the right thing to do or is this another impulsive, i'm going to send this because i want them to know i'm willing to do it? >> i think they were responding to a comment marc made the night before and which we'll either meet you for a summit or a nuclear showdown. the president and others decided we can't have a meeting under these circumstances. but he still wants to go. and so the key question there is
4:14 pm
whether or not they can agree ahead of time that denuclearization will be the outcome of that meeting. and that seems to be where the south koreans and the north koreans have discussed a little bit and what the u.s., no doubt, is pushing for in advance. >> evelyn, i want to give you the last word here. what is your -- i was honestly surprised at the way some of the comments in the wake of the cancellation of the summit broke down on capitol hill. i was up there talking to republicans and democrats. it actually seemed to be a pretty universal feeling that going forward with the summit, assuming that denuclearization is on the table, was really the right move. i mean, do you see an area where there is a nobel peace prize in donald trump's future if he can pull this off? >> well, i mean, in a very distant future because the north koreans -- as we know, their goal is not to denuclearize, to give up their nuclear weapons program. they say very clearly we want to denuclearize the peninsula and that's a whole 'nother ball of wax because that probably means removing u.s. forces.
4:15 pm
it means more than nuclear things when you ask the north koreans face to face. >> right. >> but it's a process and this is the whole problem. everyone is for a dialogue and a discussion basically opening a negotiation. and getting to some kind of freeze and then, sure, great. if one day we can get the north koreans to give up their nuclear weapons, fine. i think the president, this back and forth, isn't very helpful. first he got spooked, to answer the question you asked jeff, he got spooked by the north koreans not showing up for some working level meetings and i think he thought maybe they're not going to show up at my meeting. >> right. >> so this meeting between moon and kim -- the south korean and north korean leaders respectively -- was basically to test, okay, you guys are coming, right? trump doesn't want to show up -- >> yes, i think there was also -- there were also comparisons that involved breaking up with the girl before she can break up with you. anyway, of course we would be remiss if we did not note that the white house issued a historic coin for this event
4:16 pm
featuring the likenesses of the president and kim jong-un. the initial coin offering was $24.95 on the white house gift shop website. now if you want one, you only have to pay 19.95. so, not the strongest start for that commemorative decorative coin. who knows. maybe one day it will be worth a lot more than that. anyway, just ahead, my exclusive interview with republican senator james lankford. we talk about whether the president's favorite #spygate is a fair description. his answer is no, at least, not yet. and as we go to break, a state of emergency in maryland. this is dramatic video of brown waters rushing down main street as flash floods strike ellicott city, not that far from where we are here. emergency rescue is underway. 13 miles from baltimore, it was devastated by similar flood waters in july of 2016. we are going to be watching this story. our thoughts and prayers are with our neighbors. we will keep you updated on that.
4:17 pm
"kasie d.c." is back after this. , stuck down here between your seat and your console, playing a little hide-n-seek. cold... warmer... warmer... ah boiling. jackpot. and if you've got cut-rate car insurance, you could be picking up these charges yourself. so get allstate, where agents help keep you protected from mayhem... ...like me. mayhem is everywhere. are you in good hands? powerful skincare,s now light-as-air a breakthrough moisturizer whipped for instant absorption feel a light-as-air finish in a flash new olay whips ageless
4:18 pm
and help you feel more strength & energy in just 2 weeks. i'll take that. ensure high protein, with 16 grams of protein and 4 grams of sugar. ensure® with 16 grams of protein heartburn and gas?ar. ♪ now fight both fast new tums chewy bites with gas relief all in one relief of heartburn and gas ♪ ♪ tum tum tum tums new tums chewy bites with gas relief
4:19 pm
sure. mom,what's up son?alk? i can't be your it guy anymore. what? you guys have xfinity. you can do this. what's a good wifi password, mom? you still have to visit us. i will. no. make that the password: "you_stillóhave_toóvisit_us." that's a good one. [ chuckles ] download the xfinity my account app and set a password you can easily remember. one more way comcast is working to fit into your life, not the other way around.
4:20 pm
welcome back to "kasie d.c." this week congressional leaders from both parties were briefed on those highly classified documents related to the russia investigation. rudy giuliani now says the president's own legal team wants a briefing on this classified information as well. i asked republican senator james lankford who sits on the senate intelligence committee about the risks surrounding these briefings. when we sat down for an exclusive interview this week.
4:21 pm
the department of justice this week showed highly classified documents to members of congress at the demand of the house intelligence chairman devin nunes. they are, we are told, documents that involve a top secret intelligence source. you are a member of the intelligence committee. we hear all the time about the need to protect sources and methods. was this something that hurt national security, these demands? >> if it gets out, yes. otherwise it's normal. there is a group called the gang of 8 you hear talked about. so, they have access to a lot of information that typically only the president has access to. so, it's not uncommon for them to have access to sources and methods. >> democrats are upset that emmet flood, the white house lawyer, was included in this meeting. do you think his presence was appropriate? >> i don't think it's appropriate if he saw the classified documents. my understanding was he was at the beginning of the meeting when they were setting it up, but wasn't present when actually the documents were shown. those documents need to be highly classified and kept in
4:22 pm
very close hold. if you're affecting sources and methods that is long term national security issues. >> do you think the department of justice acted 100% ethically and a politically in launching this counter intelligence investigation into president trump? >> interestingly enough, that is actually one of the questions we've had for a while. it is a basic question to say how did the investigation begin? what started it? now, we have a set of answers from the justice department for the past year basically to say, this is how it began. now there is a question for the first time in a while to say, is that really how it began? because the time line is not matching up. what's helpful in these documents -- and i haven't gone through them yet, i'm not in the gang of 8, we will go through some of the these documents in the days ahead. but as we go through these documents we are trying to answer the basic question, how did the investigation begin, when did it begin. >> the president of the united states is accusing the fbi of spying on his campaign. do you think that is an accurate characterization? >> i don't think it is a good characterization yet. i think they were doing an investigation.
4:23 pm
from what i've seen they were asking questions and trying to get additional information. my concern is why were they asking questions at that moment, why were they engaged. was there enough information to say, yes, they should go to the next level to get additional information. >> should he be calling this spygate, or is that misleading to americans? >> i would say the president can call it whatever he wants to call it. he always has a unique name for everybody and everything. that's just his way. >> you don't see this as potentially dangerous or injecting politics into the mueller investigation? >> we're actually asking the questions to be able to find out why and what. this may end up being entirely normal at the end of it or may be a bigger issue. if the time line is different now and we find out when this investigation was done and when this informant was planted, if it was done at a time different than what we were told by the fbi in the past, that is a pretty big issue. why was he planted before they started the investigation. that is an entirely different issue. there are great people at the fbi. that's why it gets lost in this.
4:24 pm
there are tremendous number of patriots that work for the fbi all over the country and alameda over the world. i don't want them to get bechimeb besmirched. we have to separate out the thousands, 35,000 plus great folks of the fbi from one or two bad actors that might have been there that made an unwise decision. but we don't know that yet. >> do you still have confidence in rod rosenstein? >> i do. i think he is continuing to be able to make hard decisions. he has a lot of hard decisions in front of him. >> the president won't say he has faith in rosenstein. a shame. it's a tough call. the has been clear he doesn't like the investigation he, he wants it to move on. he sees it as a distraction in the white house. i'm sure there are conversations about this. he's been passionate from the beginning, he didn't do any collusion, nobody around him did any collusion. he wants this to be resolved and go away. i said over and over again i think it's best for the president and the presidency to have a full good investigation and settle this for the american
4:25 pm
people one way or the other so we can move on. >> do you think it is sufficient for the d.o.j. to use the inspector general to investigate the origins of their investigation or do they need to go further? some of your colleagues in the house on the republican side have called for a special counsel to investigate the investigators. >> i think the first step is an inspector general. if the inspector general michael horowitz has been a nonpolitical person. if he comes back and says, hey, i've got some things i'm not getting access to, not getting answers to, then we have to be able to push to the next level. let's let the i.g. do his work and get that resolved. i have confidence in michael horowitz and he'll do a good job. >> i want to ask you about somebody from your home state of oklahoma, scott pruitt, the epa administrator. do you have any concerns about the ethical decisions he's made, the spending? you're a fiscal hawk. he spent $43,000 on a phone booth without asking congress. he was supposed to ask if he spent $5,000. >> i've known him a long time just as the attorney general in
4:26 pm
oklahoma. this is not a random stranger i just met. i know him, i know his family. scott walking into government, i don't think did everything exactly right, but the office of government ethics is going through and looking at every single detail. to be able to make that evaluation. they are going to get the report back as well as the inspector general as you know, to be able to walk through and give the report to the president and decisions be made. there's a lot he has done right. >> an interesting conversation there with senator lankford. evelyn farkas, you were watching and had some reaction to what he was explaining about spygate, this fbi informant and the origin of where this all might have started. >> yes, i was trying not to jump out of my seat during this because, look, the spy issue was we were spying on the russians. and if you remember, you think back to the summer before the election, what was happening? we had media reports about the russians and their interactions with the trump people. i don't know this for a fact, but my guess is it began with the cia with other -- our
4:27 pm
foreign intelligence agencies saying, hey, these russians are meeting with people. these russians are talking about this, that and the other thing, right? we picked up on it. it takes a little while before that gets solid enough where people want to say to the fbi, okay, step in now and look at americans. i mean, it's not an easy step to go from looking at russians to looking at americans. >> you're saying you think this originated with our foreign intelligence services. >> in every bone of my body, i believe that our people who were watching the russians, maybe other countries, i don't know. i know very well what our source ands methods are vis-a-vis russia. we had excellent infell jensen all the way up until i left in october 2015. and i didn't change as far as i know. so, we would have known -- we could have, we could have known, i should say, we could have picked up on something. so i don't know for sure, but in my gut, i believe that we, the american government, saw this first emanating from overseas. >> a.b. stoddart, i spoke to
4:28 pm
some folks on capitol hill every day, who are frequently skeptical of the president. who say they want know more about the origins of this investigation and this decision, and that there is something that the justice department knows or perhaps that they did act incorrectly. what is your sense of -- >> i've had those same conversations. i think what people need to do is look at the reputation of the inspector general horowitz and of bob mueller and they need to go to the internet in 2018 or have someone print the report out for them when each one comes out and they need to assess it on their own without watching the narrative and the pro-trump media or from congressman devin nunes or from the mainstream media if they distrust it because both of those men have excellent reputations and everyone is waiting for their sort of honest untainted assessments of what went on. the interesting thing people have to remember is paul manafort was acting for years as a russian agent.
4:29 pm
paul manafort was on our intelligence radar screen since 2013. the reason you come in with wfb, the idea they had informants having conversations is how you would act if you were trying to protect the political health of that campaign. it's really hard to make the argument it was politically motivated in the end, brought down donald trump and elected hillary clinton. >> when we continue, we're going hear more from senator lankford on why he doesn't see the president as a role model for his children. plus, last week we brought you kiersten gillibrand who said they should stop dragging their feet and pass sexual harassment legislation. of course hollywood still reckoning with its own problems and that can make for some awkward television. just ask the cast of "arrested development." we're going to talk about all of that up next. -♪ he's got legs of lumber and arms of steel ♪
4:30 pm
♪ he eats a bowl of hammers at every meal ♪ ♪ he holds your house in the palm of his hand ♪ ♪ he's your home and auto man ♪ big jim, he's got you covered ♪ ♪ great big jim, there ain't no other ♪ -so, this is covered, right? -yes, ma'am. take care of it for you right now. giddyup! hi! this is jamie. we need some help. woman: i stay active by staying in rhythm. and to keep up this pace, i drink boost optimum. boost optimum with 5 in 1 advanced nutrition helps support muscle, energy, bone, normal immune function, and vision. boost optimum. be up for life. boost optimum. if his denture can cope with... a steak. luckily for him, he uses super poligrip. it helps give him 65% more chewing power. leaving brad to dig in and enjoy. super poligrip.
4:31 pm
is it to carry cargo... greatness of an suv? or to carry on a legacy? its show of strength... or its sign of intelligence? in crossing harsh terrain... or breaking new ground? this is the mercedes-benz suv family. greatness comes in many forms. lease the glc300 for just $449 a month at your local mercedes-benz dealer. mercedes-benz. the best or nothing. one picky customer shouldn't take all your time. need something printed? the business advisors at office depot can assist with exactly what your business needs to grow. get your coupon for 20% off services, technology and more at office depot and officedepot.com.
4:32 pm
technology and more no one thought much of itm at all.l people said it just made a mess until exxonmobil scientists put it to the test. they thought someday it could become fuel and power our cars wouldn't that be cool? and that's why exxonmobil scientists think it's not small at all. energy lives here.
4:33 pm
so, a remarkable sight this week. a handcuffed harvey weinstein surrendering to authorities in new york city. charged with rape and other charges. if convicted he could spend decades in prison. the three charges involve two different women, but nearly 100 others have accused weinstein of sexual misconduct, claims that he has denied through his lawyer. meanwhile, on capitol hill, the
4:34 pm
senate passed a bill to overhaul its sexual harassment policies, including a provision that will force lawmakers to pay back taxpayers if settlement they are found good morning of harassment. joining us now from new york is culture writer for "the new york times." he had an interview with the cast of arrested development that made big headlines and i think is indicative of where we stand right now. it's great to see you in your new context, not strictly on the trump campaign bus. >> i sleep a lot more now. >> i'm jealous actually just a little bit. but, no, you're doing wonderful work as always. and i want to touch on weinstein briefly, but then i'm very interested in this interview you did with the cast of arrested development. the weinstein images, though, did stick out to me, it does seem as though this me too movement and the sea change in our culture when we saw bill cosby finally convicted, now we are seeing this, when there wasn't any before. >> it is remarkable on many
4:35 pm
levels. harvey weinstein was a towering figure both in the film industry and also in politics. and so there's way more left. he's under investigation in l.a., london, "the wall street journal" broke earlier this week he's facing federal investigations. so there's way more to be told of the harvey weinstein saga. but on top of that, just this week we talked about the arrested development cast. we talked about morgan freeman which cnn broke a couple days ago. it opened the floodgates, right? louis c.k., all these names ensnared because harvey weinstein, the women that came forward, opened the floodgates for an entire industry -- several industries including as you mention congress, to reckon with how women and men and gender i am balances, how they are reckoned with in the context of work. >> so, i want to talk also about your interview. jeffrey tambor, one of the actors of arrested development.
4:36 pm
he was accused of sexual harassment by a fellow cast member. he denies that claim. so, it was a remarkable scene that played out during the interview. here is a piece of it with the cast of arrested development that has been getting so much attention and we'll talk about it on the other side. >> it is a very amorphis process, this [ bleep ] thing. it is a breeding ground for atypical behavior and certain people have certain processiones. >> that doesn't mean it's acceptable. >> i just realized in this conversation, i have to let go of being angry. he never crossed the line on our show with any, you know e sexual whatever. verbally, yes, he harassed me, but he did apologize. i have to let it go and i have to give you a chance to, to, you know, for us to be friends again.
4:37 pm
>> absolutely. >> it's hard because obviously jason says this happens all the time in like almost 60 years of working. i've never had anybody yell at me like that on a set and it's har hard to deal with. i'm over it now. i just let it go right here for "the new york times." >> and so jason has apologized for the way he conducted himself in that interview because -- i was floored when i read this, that he was essentially sitting there, jessica walter is across from him saying, no, actually this doesn't happen all the time, this isn't normal, this isn't how it's supposed to be. and jason says this happens all the time. >> we certainly weren't the only one that thought that. what is telling to me, i asked a question to jeffrey tambor, he had given quote to the hollywood reporter a week or two before i've yelled at assistants, i've yelled at directors, i've yelled at such and such. in the middle of asking the question, jessica walter chimed in with jessica walter. and i didn't even have to ask the question. she chimed in.
4:38 pm
it seemed to me that she really wanted to talk about it. and it was very striking that her narrative was incredibly different than the narrative that jason bateman was putting out there. it wasn't just jason bateman. tony said we've all had our moments. what was clear from jessica walter, her perspective, this was not just a moment for her. it was clear to me, especially after the interview ended that this was not -- i don't know how much of an arrested development fan you are, we picture cast as this kind of family. everything is kind of hunky-dory. what was clear to me after the interview was that everything was not hunky-dory. in fact the next day david cross gave an interview. i want to say it was to the gothamist. elliott shock hat went up to him after and expressed how uncomfortable she was with how the interview went. i think it goes to show you the emotions are still very raw over, again as i said, harvey weinstein in many ways opened the doors for us to have these types of conversations. >> yeah. donna edwards, it strikes me that what we're talking about
4:39 pm
here is the normalization of certain types of behavior and the refusal or shift away from those behaviors being normal. you were in congress and i don't want to put you on the spot, of course, but we've had private conversations about what it's like to deal with these kinds of harassment issues, kind of day in and day out. it seems as though whether it's in hollywood or in the context here in politics, there are people who felt like oh, this is just normal. this is every day. it's fine. and people are now being able -- women in particular -- to draw lines and say, no, that's not fine. that's not normal. >> it is. you can also see how difficult it is still that even when you're trying to point out that it's not normal, that there become then the protectionists who say, well, you know, it is. and so i think what you saw in congress, you know, the senate passing its sexual harassment bill, the house having already passed one, we'll see if those come together. but it is a way to say to all women and to employees in the house and these others who are cultural institutions that this is really not acceptable.
4:40 pm
you know, i look at the hundred women that have accused harvey weinstein. it's not like it's just a handful. and the stories seem remarkably similar that the me too movement has gone well beyond hollywood and crossed over into any number of places now. >> yeah. during my conversation with senator james lankford, i asked him to respond to some recent comments by one of his republican colleagues about the morality of president trump. senator jeff flake gave a commencement speech. he said, quote, our presidency has been debased by a figure who has a seemingly bottomless appetite for destruction and division. he goes on to say, our article 1 branch of government, the congress, is utterly supine in the face of the moral vandalism that flows from the white house daily. what is your response to that? >> pretty good vocabulary for jeff to be able to throw that out there. it's been no grand secret that jeff has been incredibly frustrated with the president, doesn't like his style.
4:41 pm
i have been one that have said several times i don't consider the president a role model for my kids. i don't want my kids to speak the way he speaks or make some of the choices and has been the challenge for quite a bit of time to say, how do you balance this out between policy and personal behavior in the way he has his own unique style. i don't speak that way. i don't tweet that way. i don't interact with people that way. i don't treat my staff the same way he treats his staff. but that is who the american people selected and that's who we're going to be able to work with. >> do you think that people should consider the character of a person when deciding to vote? >> what's interesting when you say that, the me too movement that's happened, i think for the first time in a generation has caused americans to think, does it matter who says my news, does it matter who is in my movie or in my television show, does it matter who is in politician and wh politics and what they say in your personal life. it's what you do professionally that matters. the me too movement has awakened people. people's personal lives do
4:42 pm
matter. >> bill clinton's personal life mattered to a lot of people. certainly to republicans, evangelicals, prominent evangelicals who said you should look at his personal behavior and condemn him for it. those same people, many of them are saying this president, we should overlook it. >> what is interesting is the democrats said the president's personal behavior doesn't matter. it's flipped during the time period. i say the same thing i say now. a person's individual life does matter. it shows you evidence of what they're going to be like. if we can hold alltel of us to our higher standard it helps our families, our kmuntsz, we want our businesses to be ethical. we want our leaders to be role models. it is ace positive thing to say. i would love to say the people you see on television, people serving in politics are a role model for your kids and your families. >> has anything the president has done in office or anything you learned about the president's past behavior say with stormy daniels, these payments, have they made you reconsider whether you could support him in 2020?
4:43 pm
>> that shocked me. it was pretty clear during the campaign there were moral issues and we have different life-style choices we have made personally. it's something that the president has been pretty outspoken on. he's not tried to be able to step out and say that he is a role model in those areas. he said he's more of a role model in business and do deal making. i get that. i have to be able to look at policies and what we're going to try to get done at the end of the day. same thing people had to do during the clinton administration, to be able to determine what are we going to actually get done for the american people. >> a.b. stoddard, i was struck in that interview, first of all, he did say and you heard him say right there, what i have to overlook this because i agree with this person on policy, but i have asked many of these -- many of those people i cover on the hill every day, do they view the person as a role model for their kids and they don't answer. james lankford did answer the question and he said no. >> he was honest and showed his discomfort with this challenge of trying to put his policy priorities first while having
4:44 pm
real trouble with the president's character and whether or not leaders should provide a moral example and be role models. i thought it was pretty brave of him to say what he did. >> sopan, jeff mason, evelyn, everyone, thank you, we're switching out. we're going to get a sneak peek at the john mccain documentary. the president loses a major court case whether he can block people on twitter. the woman who filed the lawsuit joins us live in our next hour. do you want the same tools and seamless experience across web and tablet? do you want $4.95 commissions for stocks, $0.50 options contracts? $1.50 futures contracts? what about a dedicated service team of trading specialists? did you say yes? good, then it's time for power e*trade. the platform, price and service that gives you the edge you need. looks like we have a couple seconds left. let's do some card twirling twirling cards e*trade. the original place to invest online.
4:45 pm
our because of smoking.ital. but we still had to have a cigarette. had to. but then, we were like. what are we doing? the nicodermcq patch helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. nicodermcq. you know why, we know how. ly the best. ♪ ♪ better than all the rest ♪ applebee's new bigger bolder grill combos. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood.
4:46 pm
it's these new fresh-fx car air fresheners from armor all. each scent can create a different mood in my car. like tranquil skies. armor all, it's easy to smell good. you never listen to your dad when you're a teenager. my dad- he always gave me two pieces of advice. one was to always be humble. and the second was to always do the right thing. now that i'm the new ceo of uber, i've taken that advice to heart. and i'm using that advice to change our company. moving forward, we're taking into consideration what's good for our driver partners, our riders, and the cities that we operate in. and it's going to make us a much, much better service. the full value of your new car? you're better off throwing your money right into the harbor. i'm gonna regret that. with new car replacement, if your brand new car gets totaled, liberty mutual will pay the entire value plus depreciation. liberty stands with you.
4:47 pm
liberty mutual insurance. it can grow out of control, disrupting business and taking on a life of its own. its multi-cloud complexity creating friction... and slowing innovation. with software-defined solutions, like hpe onesphere, you can tame the it monster. hewlett packard enterprise. clouds, apps, and insights faster.
4:48 pm
that was a look at the new hbo documentary, john mccain for whom the bell tolls. it premieres tomorrow night memorial day at 8:00 eastern. and joining me now is the codirector of that film and emmy award winning producer and film maker teddy k unh art. thank you for taking the time to be with us tonight. first i want to say congratulations on a beautiful film. i had a chance to see it at the capital when you screened it for mccain's colleagues. i want to show you a little bit of the interview that you did where john mccain is really reflecting on -- you can tell that he understands that he is reaching the end of his life, has been told that. let's take a look and then i'll talk to you about it. >> okay. >> you know these doctors keep talking to me about people who keep telling the truth and then they just give up and die.
4:49 pm
that you really want -- i keep saying to them, just tell me, just tell me. that's all i want to know, you know? some say, well, it's not good. i say, well, it's just [ bleep ]. it really drives me crazy. but then i talk to other dr. friends of mine and say that most people, that's not what they want to hear. why wouldn't they want to hear it, you know? why wouldn't they want to spend a few more days here, you know? yes, honey, i'd throw the ball in a minute. >> was it explicit when you were shooting this film that senator mccain understood that he may not be around when it came out? >> definitely. i mean, look, we read all the press and the average life-span is 12 to 18 months with this type of cancer. so, i think that he knew that there was a good chance that this film was going to come out after he did die, but i think that he was in the middle of
4:50 pm
writing his memoir with mark salter and he was already in a reflective place. and having this news of his diagnosis allowed him to be even more reflective. so to him, when we were walking around his his ranch in sedona, two things to tell you guys i hope you can achieve. first thing is, don't shy away from my failures. i made plenty of mistakes. i am a human being and hope this film will bring me down to the human being level and allow people to see me warts and all and he said secondly and most importantly, i want my colleagues to see that bipartisanship is worked in the past and it needs to work again and they need to stop the fighting and work together. and he said, if you can achieve those two things, that's good with me. >> glad you raised the idea of warts and all. one thing that stuck out to me when i saw the film. you touch on difficult chapters in his life.
4:51 pm
dissolution of his first marriage, and the keating five scandal. how did you decide which of the episodes you wanted to look at and how to handle the negative aspects of this life in the context of twilight? >> basically made a huge timeline of senator mccain's life on a wall. we call them pods, and in each pod, it reflects a different section of john's life, and we knew we wanted to do the ups and down, the highs and the lows in order for the audience to truly understand the quote "man behind the maverick," unquote, and break his life down and see his transition from boy to man to now elder statesman. i think we achieved it, and when we were speaking to john about his first wife he really -- he said, look, the responsibility lies with me. it was my fault. that was the end of it and he couldn't go further emotionally. he's not such an emotional guy that he couldn't go there, but he wanted us to speak with
4:52 pm
carol, and he's the one that said, these guys want to come speak to you. will you participate? and same with president bush. i was surprised about that, which was, you know, after seeing what the bush campaign did in 2000, i was getting ready for sort of a tense interview with president bush and it wasn't the case. he pulled me aside said, look, i don't do these interviews often but i'll do anything for john. they are good friends. >> the hbo documentary "john mccain: for whom the bell tolls" debuts tomorrow night, monday night, 8:00 p.m. my thanks to you. "kasie dc" back after this. but what a powerful life lesson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness. which is so smart on your guy's part. like fact that they'll just... forgive you... four weeks without the car. okay, yup. good night.
4:53 pm
with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident. switching to allstate is worth it. it's these new fresh-fx car air fresheners from armor all. each scent can create a different mood in my car. like tranquil skies. armor all, it's easy to smell good. can be a big bad problem that you could spread to. family members, including your grandchildren babies too young to be vaccinated against whooping cough are the most at risk for severe illness. but you can help prevent this. talk to your doctor today about getting vaccinated against whooping cough. because dangers don't just exist in fairytales.
4:54 pm
4:55 pm
...the only eye drop... ...approved for the signs... ...and symptoms of dry eye. because dry eye can mean... ...more than... ...just dryness. xiidra may provide lasting relief... ...starting in two weeks. one drop in each eye, twice a day. don't use if you are allergic to xiidra. common side effects include eye irritation, discomfort or blurred vision when applied to the eye, and unusual taste sensation. don't touch container tip to your eye... ...or any surface. after using xiidra, wait 15 minutes...
4:56 pm
...before reinserting contacts. chat with your eye doctor... ...about xiidra. when we kcopt hieere on "ka dc," talking at the russia investigation, but first, watching sunday shows from the beach so you don't have to. another hour of "kasie dc" back after this. again. ♪ ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth? ♪ i want to believe it. [ claps hands ] ♪ ooh i'm not hearing the confidence. okay, hold the name your price tool. power of options based on your budget! and!
4:57 pm
♪ we'll make heaven a place on earth ♪ yeah! oh, my angels! ♪ ooh, heaven is a place on earth ♪ [ sobs quietly ] yes. it's a targeted medicine proven to help prevent severe asthma attacks, and lower oral steroid use. about 50% of people with severe asthma have too many cells called eosinophils in their lungs. fasenra™ is designed to work with the body to target and remove eosinophils. fasenra™ is an add-on injection for people 12 and up with severe eosinophilic asthma. don't use fasenra™ for sudden breathing problems or other problems caused by eosinophils. fasenra™ may cause headache, sore throat, and allergic reactions. get help right away if you have swelling of your face, mouth, and tongue, or trouble breathing. don't stop your asthma treatments unless your doctor tells you to. tell your doctor if your asthma worsens or if you have a parasitic infection.
4:58 pm
fasenra™ is a targeted treatment for eosinophilic asthma. that's important. ask an asthma specialist about fasenra™. you finished preparing overhim for college.rs, in 24 hours, you'll send him off thinking you've done everything for his well-being. but meningitis b progresses quickly and can be fatal, sometimes within 24 hours. while meningitis b is uncommon, about 1 in 10 infected will die. like millions of others,
4:59 pm
your teen may not be vaccinated against meningitis b. meningitis b strikes quickly. be quick to talk to your teen's doctor about a meningitis b vaccine.
5:00 pm
first, norm -- north korea. >> on-again/off-again talks. >> hope it still happens. >> it is very likely on. >> important to have a summit. >> i think it's possible. >> i think the president's strategy played out really brilliantly. >> i remain convinced he does not want to denuclearize. >> i hope i'm wrong. love to see him denuclearize. >> the president continues to toy with the russia investigation. >> the president and allies spent much of the week making the case the fbi plant add spy in the trump campaign. >> despite no evidence. >> despite no evidence, repeated the claim again. >> that's a watergate. spygate.
5:01 pm
>> a reinvestigation. >> i have seen no evidence. >> there is no evidence to support the spy theory. >> there is no question there was a spy that was collecting information. >> i think he's simply trying to delegitimize the mueller investigation. >> the most benign form of information gathering. >> an investigation he thought was rigged was rigged from the very beginning. nerve shoer have started, it is not right to spy on a campaign. >> you think that the mueller probe is legitimate? >> i -- not anymore. i don't. >> welcome to the second hour of "kasie dc." with me on set, co-founder of foundry strategies and msnbc political analyst reik tyler. democratic congressman from california member of the house intelligence committee eric swaulwell and nbc white house correspondent geoff bennett and white house reporter for the "washington post" sunman kim. welcome to all of you. great to have you here. as you probably noticed, in the kasie ddr, therudy
5:02 pm
giuliani is ntd couldi continui into question the mueller investigation. i asked what is the long-term impact. >> do you think the president has done any lasting damage to the fbi and doj? >> no. i don't -- i do not believe that is the case. i do believe every institution here will ultimately be healed and made better when the application of oversight and transparency occur. so, yes, i think -- we have strong institutions in this country that will endure any kind of test. >> congressman swalwell, your reaction to the speaker? >> our democracy has been under assault from the russians in the last few years and now a new front from donald trump and enablers. i lay that at the feet of paul ryan. allowed devin nunes to undermine the investigation over a year now and we're not helpless in congress. paul ryan is actually speak up
5:03 pm
and challenge the president on the bogus trump tower wiretap claims and now the bogus claims about spying on his is squarely now. >> are you convinced the justice department acted 100% ethically above board and apolitically in opening this intelligence investigation? >> yes. and i have the evidence. >> okay. how is history going to judge paul ryan? >> hard to say. everything about this presidency is so unconventional. i do think he's right, though, about the institutions. i mean, when i think about the history of the united states and the scandals that have happened in the part and wars that have happened in the past and the divisions that have happened in the past, america always seems to bring back together. what i think donald trump should be thinking about is what his legacy will be, and does he want to be remembered as someone who attempted during his entire presidency to undermine the justice department?
5:04 pm
as i said months ago, during a -- when we run a campaign, you have to deal with perception. perception of the fbi at the time was, a solid institution to the trusted. you can't go head-long into has perception. what you can do over time is change the perception, just little bits at a time. that's what they've done. it's just like a campaign. the target except is not a candidate. >> running against robert mueller and the justice department. >> and they're winning. changing perception, at least amongst his base, believing that the fbi is somehow corrupt. interesting, because this whole investigation is was about russia's interference into an election donald trump participated in. he could have handled that completely different. i want to get to the bottom of it, instead took it personally as he always does. >> right. so i feel like there are nuances here among members of congress on this question. clearly a cadre that the freedom caucus and others that we talk
5:05 pm
to every day convinced there was a spy in the president's campaign. this was all nefarious and ultimately potentially legal. you also have other members who are willing to come out, more moderate members and say -- i feel like i hear it more previously. some started to say publicly they think the way those people in their own conference are conducting themselves is a problem, and then there are people who behind the scenes say that it really is an issue. what's your sense of kind of how this is going to break over the long term? i mean, is the groundswell with mark meadows and jim jordan and all the others in the conference or on the other side. >> we haven't seen that groundswell grow too much. kind of it's been focused on the president's closest allies in congress. we talked that briefing. the pair of briefings last week held by the justice department for various members of congress and it's notable, first of all, that democrats came out of the meeting saying there's no -- no one that has said there's
5:06 pm
evidence there was a spy put in the campaign of donald trump. what i found most interesting was what senate majority leader mitch mcconnell said after that briefing, as a member of that gang of eight as majority leader was in that classified briefing. you and i know not a man of many words. >> few words. >> but he spoke to npr following that interview and while he wouldn't talk about the classified details of the briefing he made is clear, he still supports the mueller investigation. i thought that said a lot. >> geoff bennett, what's the view from down on the white house -- one question a lot of us had for the freedom caucus people suggesting there be a second special counsel to investigate the investigators? a question whether anyone talked to the president about it. was it the president's idea to keep the pressure up? are they -- how was the white house viewing the efforts down on the other end? >> rudy giuliani sort of clued us into this in the interview he gave to yore network in tough questions. admitted the reason he and the
5:07 pm
president are floating this unsubstantiated theory of the spy in the fbi, stave off impeachment should, it come to that if that's what the mueller investigation leads to. that's their calculus. to his point, not just democrats are breaking with the president, the senate majority leader and marco rubio this morning said it's justified for the fbi to look into the historieses of these two men, carter page and george papadopolos if they had suspicious links to russia. >> i want to ask, congressman, about chris coons asked don jun ye -- junior come back to testify. he wasn't forthcoming. is that a realistic possibility? >> he wasn't forthcoming with us in the house. he was making up any privileges, the father/son, i don't have to answer that because it was my dad with lawyers in the room. as i read the press reports a
5:08 pm
lot of concerns he wasn't being truthful with us. >> do you think he lied? >> use subpoena power to very. these individuals are not worthy being taken at their word. we never -- to look at subpoenas, travel records, bank records. just ran a take them at their word investigation and they shouldn't be trusted. >> switching gears a little. "vanity fair" has a new piece examining the ways president trump is winning that messaging battle when it comes to the russia probe. former virginia governor told the magazine" the more it's about russia and the 2016 election, that feels backward looking and seems like a partisan lens. it works when it's about corruption and crime and the fact that the president shouldn't be above the law. trump put his narrative the out there and quite frankly democrats haven't put it out there or talk about it in effective ways. trump says witch-hunt or deep state, from democrats you sort of get nothing.
5:09 pm
mueller says nothing. starts to sound like maybe this is all silly part an politics." do you agree with that criticism? congressman? >> a lot of fair criticism. we're honest brokers in this investigation and believe in the rule of law as he's torching everything building of the fbi building. every floor of the fbi building. >> is it too much looking back and not enough, what's in front of us now? >> this is not about reinvestigating the past election. donald trump won. but never let russia or any adversary ever do this again. democrats and republicans support this and harden the ballot box. we know russia will seek to try to interfere again. >> go ahead. >> the language he uses. he says spy. a spy is one that collects information on an enemy. if the russians have a spy in the campaign, then that would be a spy, because there's collecting messages -- suggesting or declared that the justice department itself is the enemy. i think that's very disturbing
5:10 pm
whampl. >> that's what you see. a lot 6 back and forth, fbi informant, a spy, why does this matter? >> spy says it's an enemy. informant heb informant helps the fbi through an investigation to come to conclusion for indictment, but a spy is collecting information on an enemy in order to serve whatever state's purposes there are. but the idea that it's spygate means he is declared that the u.s. just it department, mueller, all of it, including all of his appointees, all republicans, by the way, are the enemy. >> geoff bennett, you raised what rudy giuliani had to say and we played it earlier in the show. he talked about ultimately this comes to down to a question of impeach or not impeach. i was struck by that. republicans on the reported, actually thinking about that through the lens of impeachment. normally talking about nancy pelosi, swalwell's side of the
5:11 pm
aisle. what else do you know about behind the scenes? was that a slipup from rudy giuliani? >> when i heard him say that, one wonders if he has to clean up that statement later in the week or tomorrow. they talk a lot. the weekend before last. were on the phone incessantly. if that was the weekend that giuliani said mueller would wrap up the investigation by september 1st. right? what happened there? nothing, really. so what's interesting about the way the president tests these messages. i've covered more trump rallies than i can eastern remembven re. to watch him work a crowd. rework it, say it again. gets applaud, say it again until it works. even when he talks about spygate, completely unfounded, the way we cover it use the phrase, repeat it in the lexicon is how he does this. how he wins the messaging game. there's no one with an equally powerful megaphone making an opposite argument. bob mueller certainly isn't speaking out.
5:12 pm
>> instead, interested to know what your take is on that? because right now democrats are essentially saying, look, we can't talk about impeachment. it's a losing argument for us. mid-terms, let the investigation run its course. but they are, geoff is right, out there making a concerted case and if in fact impeachment we all know it would be even though it's officially a legal process, end of the day, it's a political one and about political will and i think nancy pelosi, if it wasn't actually nancy pelosi certainly other democrats have been out saying we can't do this if we don't have support. >> right. i also think talking about impeachment we're missing the message voters sent in 2016. i still think absent russia, absent james comey, probably -- a lot of people felt disconnected from opportunity they weren't doing better, kids weren't going to do better than them. if we're only focused on that we're not talking to those voters. no one's above the law. we find evidence he broke the law, we should -- >> we didn't mention.
5:13 pm
tom perriello addressed that. missing the broader people. people getting news from internet media and there is documentation on russia specifically. i take your point. do you need to find middle ground messaging on mueller and russia? maybe not impeachment. >> it's about corruption. make it about what we're seeing. not just with russia. cashing in on his access to the oval office. the zte deal, putting chinese workers ahead of american workers because they gave him a loan in indonesia. that's a winning message, it's true and un-american he would be allowing that to take place . >> i want to add to the conversation comments we hear at the show vintage joe biden. take a look. >> this is not your father's republican parties. this is a different deal. they are not, they are not, who
5:14 pm
we are. they're not who america is. but what they are doing is they're sending a vision of america around the world that's distorted, that's damaging, that is hurting us. with its phony populism and this fake nationalism. [ applause ] it's designed. instead of having government do its job, it's designed to be able to step back and let the wealthy and the powerful control and then blame it on the other. the immigrant. the black. the woman. that's what this is about. >> is this republican party? >> no, it's not.
5:15 pm
i'm not sure about being republican these days. >> appreciate your honesty. >> i like watching joe biden. when you think about, i've asked this question many times. could you have beaten donald trump? in the end, no. he beat 17 republican competitors. what kind of a candidate what would you do? do different? depends on the candidate. but joe biden could do -- because of his cadence and the way he speaks, the lunch bucket joe -- the whole deal. i'd love to see him go toe to toe with donald trump. not that i would be his supporter just for the theater of it all. let's just go fall in now. joe for president. let's go. >> you want to get on that bandwagon? >> i like uncle joe. look forward to that. >> look forward. a newer face? >> we have 20 to 30 new faces that will step up. good for our party and for country. >> don't you run into the problem rick alluded to in that event in 2020? you have, it's impossible to tell which person has, is big enough to stand up to donald
5:16 pm
trump? >> you know, people emerge and weaknesses are flushed out in a protracted primary like that. we have a lot of bright stars in our party and people are starting to meet them. >> sound to me a lot a lot of republicans i talked to in 2016. press pause on this conversation. because before we go to break and this is on a much more serious note. really terrible weather right now striking our neighbors in maryland. there are waves of thunderstorms unloading heavy rains and historic city which transformed one of the streets, pictured the main street. not sure if that's main street but the streets turning into raging rivs. emergency rescues under way and maryland govern larry hogan called for a state of emergency. when we continue, though, inside new efforts to fix daca as things grow more desperate at the border. more of my conversation with senator james langford and separation anxiety as my grant
5:17 pm
fami -- migrant families are getting split up. (vo) what if we could go back? what if our car... could stop itself? in iihs front-end crash prevention testing, nobody beats the subaru impreza. not toyota. not honda. not ford. the subaru impreza. more than a car, it's a subaru. rthere's flonase sensimist.hy and watery near pollen. it relieves all your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist.
5:18 pm
i'm your phone,istle text alert. stuck down here between your seat and your console, playing a little hide-n-seek. cold... warmer... warmer... ah boiling. jackpot. and if you've got cut-rate car insurance, you could be picking up these charges yourself. so get allstate, where agents help keep you protected from mayhem... ...like me. mayhem is everywhere. are you in good hands?
5:19 pm
5:20 pm
welcome back. new friction along the border and inside the white house. according to the "washington post" amid rising hostility between the president and homeland security kirstjen nielsen saying working for president trump is almost an impossible about task adding he doesn't understand the nuances of immigration law. this according to administration
5:21 pm
officials and others familiar with they are thinking. meanwhile backlash this week amid reports of mass separations. an aclu report released says sexual abuse by border agents from 2009 to 2014 back during the obama administration. this could be the perfect storm for more abuse. joining me for the "republican," reporting along the border town of nogales. rafael, thanks for being with us tonight. i want to talk through exactly what is happening right now on the border. particularly around the separation of families. i think there's a lot of misunderstanding and obviously deep concern around what is going on. what has changed at the border since the trump administration has taken power? >> well, i think the biggest difference here is that this so-called zero tolerance approach that attorney general jeff sessions announced last
5:22 pm
month has really been focusing on shifting all arrests, illegal arrests around the border for criminal prosecutions. essentially any immigrant regardless having an asylum case or not, if they cross the border illegally in between the ports of entry then they will be referred to the department of justice for prosecution, criminal prosecution and if they have an asylum case it will still be heard but also they'll have that criminal record which could deter them in the long run from getting asylum. but that is -- really the big difference. the big confusion here stems about where the prosecutions will take place. >> okay. >> what i.c.e., immigration and customs officials tell us is that if migrants go through the ports of entry, if they show up there, then they will not be prosecute, because they are entitled to do so under international law and u.s. law. however, if they cross the
5:23 pm
border illegally away from those ports of entry, then that's where they could be prosecuted and if they have children, then those children will be removed from their care. >> rick tyler, i want to talk to you about just what is going on here. rafael makes the point this is really a change in policy towards the parents. not officially a change in policy in to how we treat children but the effect is that more people are being separated. and this zero tolerance policy clearly is something that the president cares a lot about, but that members of congress are saying, hey, you know, this is not -- we should look at this again. >> he's feeling it now, because a turnaround. earlier today he blamed it on democrats. >> right. >> look, i think -- the policy should be to always keep their children with their parents. sometimes it's appropriate to separate a child from an adult, but -- >> certainly in case of smuggling, or fraud. >> of course. lots of cases, but in terms of
5:24 pm
someone seeking ally lum with an infant child or minor child, families should stay together. that used to be what the republican party used to stand f for. couple with the fact they lost 1,4700 minors, don't know where they are. went into the system, supposed to keep track to go to their court date and they have no idea where they are. >> you cover this issue closely, i know, for many years. what's your sense? could this galvanize action on immigration in congress? >> you have to remember what happened four years ago during the border crisis under the obama administration where the president, obama, back then had to ask congress for more resources to deal with a similar surge of migrants, particularly unaccompanied children arriving at the border. now it's unclear whether the trump administration would make similar requests. administration officials have told us for weeks, ever since the news of the so-called caravan dominated airwaves they
5:25 pm
may send more immigration proposals to congress to deal with these anti-trafficking rules and other related issues. we haven't seen that package yet but i think it will come to a head later in the year when the president still is insisting on money for his border wall when the government funding runs 0 ut in september and you could see a showdown there. >> congressman, what's your sense and what are democrats talking about behind the scenes? discharge petition mostly focused on daca, also broader immigration policies kind of ramping up? some questions whether all democrats will sign, nancy pelosi signed this week, of course. is this something that you think democrats would like to see be fought out over the next six months? >> no. this is the urgency of now. families now are being torn apart. kids in america now at risk of being removed to countries that they have never known, don't speak the language. i do think, though, there is a strategy in promising the american people that if we are given the majority, we will put on the president's desk the
5:26 pm
things he's already said he will sign, that the republican majority hasn't had the courage to do. immigration. background checks. prescription drugs. he's benefitted from making imaginary decisions saying bring me the bill. i'll take the heat, but they don't bring him the bill and he turns back to us on twitter. we should immediately start, make the first bills we put the ones he said he would sign. >> back to my interview with james lankford, because he revealed he is secretly working behind the scenes with a bipartisan group of sflarenator try to find a fix for daca while we wait for a court to rule. >> one area you've been working on with colleagues across the aisle i understand is immigration. and there has been a very difficult debate going on in the house of representatives. something of a revolt among more moderate republicans and even conservative republican whose think there should be a solution for the daca kids. are you working on anything here in the senate to try to address this problem before the end of
5:27 pm
the year? >> i am. there's a group of us that are meeting quietly to see if we can find common ground. end of february no grand secret an epic fair of the senate to pass any one of four bills put forward. all four had bipartisan support from different individuals, different amounts but all four had support. typically, four bills come up, all fail. next week try to blend them together into one to get it done. what happened instead, the court stepped in, said they'll put a hold on all the process and nothing can change on daca until a decision is made and the senate walked away. pressure off. no timeline anymore. i think there is a time lynn we just don't know the date. at one point the court will rule and i think in the president's favor. not because i'm a republican but i believe one executive can change the actions of a previous executive just like a future president can change the actions of president trump if it's an executive order. that's basic governance. >> do you think whatever you're
5:28 pm
working on would include a path to citizenship for dreamers? >> i do. i've been outspoken on that, even for last september. senator tillis and i both put out a proposal for citizenship for those individuals in the daca program or eligible for the daca program because we have a group in the daca program. a group that never signed up. never went through the paperwork for whatever reason they were eligible for it and would like those individuals to be eligible for citizenship as well. border security, reasonable ways for that, talked about a long time. >> the president's wall? >> it's not really a wall. i would. president says it's a wall. you talk to homeland security, yeah, a wall in some urban areas, a clee point of separation is needed. in most cases it's technology. we have ways to put techology out you can see for miles. a wall slows people down. get a 31-foot ladder.
5:29 pm
people get over. what happens, slow people down and have interdiction. personnel and the ability to get there. urban centers, city on both sides, you don't have some good, physical barrier in between, people can move quickly from country to country and you can't pick it out. that is a problem. >> acknowledgement of the nuance on the border wall there from senator lankford. and the last word here, one thing i hear talking to officials privately what's been happening is essentially watching all of this play out is going to actually act as a deterrent. relatively open about the fact that they want to use these terrible images to try and convince people they shouldn't try to come to the country. is that something you're seeing play out with the real -- you've really told some dramatic and difficult stories? >> you know, the situation back home for many of them is really dire, and they've gone through so many things. that. tell us, despite what's happening here, it's still a lot better to make the attempt rather than stay home. i think this is something we'll
5:30 pm
see playing out for the next fuch weeks if not months, having more migrants coming to the border. >> thank you so much. richard your reporting and congressman swalwell, thank you. appreciate your perspective. when we return, when blocking trolls on twitter runs afoul of the law. into retirement... and a little nervous. but not so much about what market volatility may do to their retirement savings. that's because they have a shield annuity from brighthouse financial, which allows them to take advantage of growth opportunities in up markets, while maintaining a level of protection in down markets. so they can focus on new things like exotic snacks. talk with your advisor about shield annuities from brighthouse financial- established by metlife.
5:31 pm
our because of smoking.ital. but we still had to have a cigarette. had to. but then, we were like. what are we doing? the nicodermcq patch helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. nicodermcq. you know why, we know how.
5:32 pm
kyle, we talked about this. there's no monsters. but you said they'd be watching us all the time. no, no. no, honey, we meant that progressive would be protecting us 24/7. we just bundled home and auto and saved money. that's nothing to be afraid of. -but -- -good night, kyle. [ switch clicks, door closes ] ♪ i told you i was just checking the wiring in here, kyle. he's never like this. i think something's going on at school. -[ sighs ] -he's not engaging.
5:33 pm
seven people blocked by president trump on twitter walk into a courtroom. sounds like the start of that joke. really bad joke.
5:34 pm
but that actually happened this week in a federal case against the president. federal judge ruled that the president cannot block his critics on twitter. joining me now on set, rebecca, judicial affairs editor and one of the seven plaintiffs in this case. rebecca was blocked by the president after tweeting at him, "to be fair, you didn't win the white house. russia won it for you." rebecca, this is quite a -- it's a -- what's it -- what's it like to sue the president of the united states and win? >> it feels a little fictional. a very strange landscape, feels great, though, because this is exactly the result we were really hoping for that's more important than ever given that public officials are relying on twitter so often. >> right. we laughed about it, end of the day, this is a new area of law where we expect -- public officials, in a you're able to talk to them to reach out to them.
5:35 pm
that they can't essentially shut you down. what was the -- what did this ruling hinge on? why did you win the case? >> it hinged on whether or not when a public official use as social media account to announce things. for example, firing or hiring of cabinet members, to make policy, facilitate political debate as an official channel of communication whether or not that's a public forum in the way a town hall is. right? and the answer is, yes. that's why we won. that the judge considered all the precedent and when you use twitter for those reasons you create add public forum and you can't ban people just for disagreeing. >> hmm. geoff bennett, do we think this is going to affect the president's behavior? >> probably not. interesting, though. the twitter account you can follow called trump's feed. you follow it, you can see what had sees. all of his followers. looking at that twitter account you can tell he's created and echo chamber. only sees people who like him and really i think that speaks a
5:36 pm
lot to his personality but also it means he gets a sense from what he's seeing on twitter that everyone likes him. right? that's the sense he gets of his own work. >> and do we know who is in charge of blocking people on his twitter feed? does he personally block people? is that dan scavino? >> probably a mixture of the two. >> and seems like this ruling could potentially govern the actions of any person in the town? >> the judge didn't actually order the president to unblock people he's blocked. there is concern about a judge telling a president what to do. it would be up to the white house to actually go through his block list and see if they want -- have you have access again. spent skeptical for now. >> rick tyler, i feel the president, he clearly has set up his twitter feed as the official mouthpiece. another twitter feed you can
5:37 pm
follow that puts everything he says into official white house e-mails, like we would have. so i mean, it does -- it's an interesting question, you know, the idea of -- you can't e-mail the president of the united states. you can't -- you know -- i guess try to send a message on facebook. >> yeah. >> but -- >> it's interesting what's happened. certainly in my political lifetime, when -- before a public official, you would be with a public official and they would talk to a lot of other public officials, and someone out in the country would have an idea and no scenario with that idea would ever get to your principle. now they sit under the campaign bus and scroll -- that's a good idea. and that -- >> makes your job a lot harder. >> some ways it doesn't, and some ways it does. people writing me during the show giving me ideas. amazing, very educated viewers, by the way. >> you guys are very educated. thank you for watching. >> and donald trump uses it.
5:38 pm
it's his twitter feed, larger than most networks maybe larger than all combined. he has a huge audience. >> rebecca, are you still blocked by the president? >> i am. just checked before i came on. i'm hopeful, but as of now, still blocked. >> best of luck. thank you all for coming on. appreciate it. when we come back, why democrats are feeling new optimism in turning a blue grass state sea blue. as we go to break, it's graduation season. so we bring you pomp under the circumstances. we are witnessing the great reawakening of the american spirit. >> faith in america is rising once again. >> we have rediscovered our identity. >> you're beginning your careers at a time of growing america economy. >> we will speak the truth and we will defend that truth. >> i observe a growing crisis in
5:39 pm
ethnics and integrity. >> he we are in the midst of epidemic of -- >> alternative realities and an endless barrage of lies. >> it needs calling out. actual fake news. >> you will become the new editorial gatekeepers. >> you wait for the politicians, you might as well wait for -- >> an ambitious army of truth seekers who will arm yourselves with the intelligence, with the insight and the facts necessary to strike down deceit. >> there is a price to pay for standing up, but when you do stand up, you go down in the memory, the minds of people around you as a hero. >> seems at times that we live in an age of grim relativism. >> and yet in some ways this moment feels even more hopeful, because this is a battle
5:40 pm
hardened hope tempered by loss and clear-eyed about the stakes. >> yes, america is back. before discovering nexium 24hr to treat her frequent heartburn, lucy could only imagine enjoying a slice of pizza. now it's as easy as pie. nexium 24hr stops acid before it starts for all-day, all-night protection. can you imagine 24 hours without heartburn? for all-day, all-night protection. my gums are irritated. i don't have to worry about that, do i? actually, you do. harmful bacteria lurk just below the gum line, and if you're not taking care of your gums, you're not taking care of your mouth. so now i use this. crest gum detoxify. introducing new crest gum detoxify... it works below the gum line and is clinically proven
5:41 pm
to neutralize harmful plaque bacteria and help reverse early gum damage. new gum detoxify, from crest. gums are good. so is my check up! crest. healthy, beautiful smiles for life. ...to give you the protein you need with less of the sugar you don't. i'll take that. [cheers] 30 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar. new ensure max protein. in two great flavors. new ensure max protein. you finished preparing overhim for college.rs, in 24 hours, you'll send him off thinking you've done everything for his well-being. but meningitis b progresses quickly and can be fatal, sometimes within 24 hours. while meningitis b is uncommon, about 1 in 10 infected will die. like millions of others, your teen may not be vaccinated against meningitis b. meningitis b strikes quickly. be quick to talk to your teen's doctor about a meningitis b vaccine.
5:42 pm
we danced in a german dance group. i wore lederhosen.man. when i first got on ancestry i was really surprised that i wasn't finding all of these germans in my tree. i decided to have my dna tested through ancestry dna. the big surprise was we're not german at all. 52% of my dna comes from scotland and ireland. so, i traded in my lederhosen for a kilt. ancestry has many paths to discovering your story. get started for free at ancestry.com.
5:43 pm
i think the candidates that are going to win are going to be the ones that best represent their districts, and i think that's where we're at in america. i do think we need a new
5:44 pm
generation of leaders. i think that's one of the things that is exciting right now. i think we need more women in places like congress. i think we need more veterans as well. so, you know, we're going to let the voters decide. >> that was retired lieutenant colonel amy mcgrath, who advanced to become democratic nominee in kentucky's sixth congressional district. beat the odds winning over lexington mayor jim gray and mcgrath moves on. one of several women veterans running for office and on this memorial day weekend it's worth remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice. friend of the show, this important reminder from section 60 of arlington cemetery. headstone's megan mcclung. first female marine officer to be killed in "operation iraqi freedom." we want to say thank you for your service to megan and all women and all americans who made
5:45 pm
the ultimate sacrifice-for-all of us and the women and men who support those families as well. more on running for higher office, up after this. but what a powerful life lesson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness. which is so smart on your guy's part. like fact that they'll just... forgive you... four weeks without the car. okay, yup. good night. with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident. switching to allstate is worth it. heartburn and gas? ♪ now fight both fast new tums chewy bites with gas relief all in one relief of heartburn and gas ♪ ♪ tum tum tum tums new tums chewy bites with gas relief if thifor under you think a $34,000 looks like...
5:46 pm
...think again... ...and...again. the 2018 cla and gla, both starting at under $34,000. lease the cla250 for $319 a month at your local mercedes-benz dealer. mercedes-benz. the best or nothing.
5:47 pm
let's do an ad of a man eating free waffles at comfort inn. they taste like victory because he always gets the lowest price on our rooms, guaranteed, when he books direct at choicehotels.com. or just say, badda book. badda boom. book now at choicehotels.com it's these new fresh-fx car air fresheners from armor all. each scent can create a different mood in my car. like tranquil skies. armor all, it's easy to smell good. the emotions that shouldn't drive us apart. but when you experience sudden, frequent, uncontrollable episodes of laughing or crying that are exaggerated or simply don't match how you feel, it can often lead to feeling misunderstood this is called pseudobulbar affect, or pba. a condition that can occur from brain injury... or certain neurologic conditions like stroke or dementia. nuedexta can make a difference
5:48 pm
by significantly... ...reducing pseudobulbar affect episodes. tell your doctor about medicines you take. some can't be taken with nuedexta. nuedexta is not for people with certain heart conditions. serious side effects may occur. don't take with maois or if you are allergic to dextromethorphan or quinidine. tell your doctor if you have bleeding or bruising. stop if muscle twitching... ...confusion, fever, or shivering occurs with antidepressants. side effects may... ...include diarrhea, dizziness, cough, vomiting, weakness or ankle swelling. ask your doctor about the only... ...fda approved treatment proven to reduce pba episodes. nuedexta. we, of course, spend a lot
5:49 pm
of time covering midterms ones they show and particular the historic wave of women running this time around. now according to the cook political report in the 65 democratic primaries so far with at least one man, one woman and no incumbent, women have emerged victorious 45 times. versus 18 wins for the guys. one candidate who is hoping to capitalize on that momentum is democrat and former cia officer abigail spanberger running for congress in virginia's seventh district which currently belongs to dave bratt. thank you so much for joining me, abigail. appreciate t. thank you for having me, kasie. i appreciate it. >> i want to start. you have a somewhat unique background, for many of our viewers, although those who live near northern virginia, a little less unique, but you are a former cia officer and i wanted to ask you first whether, if you happen to have been a member of the senate and i realize you're running for the house, but would you have supported gina haspel
5:50 pm
to lead the cia or did you have kearns about her background with the interrogation technique program? >> a good question. as a former cia officer experie conversations related to -- in the american -- watching the conversations related to enhanced interrogation techniques before i even joined the cia. i would not have supported her nomination. i would not have voted to confirm her. primarily because i think it's unfortunate we arrived at a point where we're relitigating whether or not we as a country are comfortable with torture and whether or not it's ever appropriate for us to engage in torture. i think it was just a step backwards that we began having that conversation again. so for that reason, i would have opposed her nomination, because it's not a conversation that we should go back to. >> let's talk a little bit about
5:51 pm
your district. it's, of course, a place that we who cover national politics have touched on because it's one of our early indications of the tea party wave when eric cantor was swept out by david brat, who you are running to unseat. he did that by running very hard line on immigration in particular. i'm wondering where you stand on some of these issues. do you believe there should be a path to citizenship for dreamers, for example? >> yes, i do. >> do you think that we should spend money on the border wall as the president has requested? >> i believe that when we're looking at how is it we can secure our borders there are more effective, more cost-effective ways than constructing a border wall across our southern border. so, no, i do not support the border wall. >> what do you think that women bring to the table in elected office that may help explain why
5:52 pm
there are so many running and winning this year? what are people looking for this time around that might as a woman candidate mean that this is the time? >> i think it's an interesting time. there are so many women running, which it's exciting to be a part of that experience. i think looking at our own campaign, what we have done is focused our campaign very firmly within the district. we have built a volunteer network within the district. we have engaged people across the district and been out. we have done exactly 100 meet and greets in living rooms and dining rooms across the district, really ensuring that i have access to conversations with voters so that i can hear the concerns and challenges that are facing them. i think that type of campaign, call it grass-roots, call it tactical, whatever -- however we would like to term it, i think is indicative of the types of
5:53 pm
campaigns that so many women are running. we are getting out and meeting people and engaging. i think in a way that's different than what we have seen in prior political -- in prior election years. >> one observation that a colleague of mine made this morning on "meet the press" may not just be there are all these women candidates but many of the women are new to politics. you are first-time candidates. what has made you want to step into the political realm considering the toxicity of the debate? i think i'm on solid ground to say that people agree this is a toxic environment right now. >> i would agree with you completely. these actually exactly why i'm running. that toxicity is not helping anyone, it's not serving anyone. i have served this country, as you mentioned, i'm a former cia officer. i served under a democratic administration and republican administration. my service was ensuring we were
5:54 pm
keeping the country safe and working to inform our policy makers and the president. for me, it is about service and it's about changing the conversation that's happening in washington. we are not going to move this country forward. we are not going to be able to create impactful legislation that really affects people's lives if we are constantly fighting and prioritizing our political ideology over anything else. i do think that a major motivator for those of us who are first-time candidates is to be a part of changing the conversation, bringing civility back to the discourse happening in washington and ensuring that we're working on behalf of the people for me in virginia's seventh district, but overall the people across this country. >> thank you very much for your time tonight. appreciate it. we will be watching your primary coming up in a couple weeks and the general election. thank you. >> thank you. when we return, what to watch for in the week ahead. -♪ he's got legs of lumber and arms of steel ♪
5:55 pm
♪ he eats a bowl of hammers at every meal ♪ ♪ he holds your house in the palm of his hand ♪ ♪ he's your home and auto man ♪ big jim, he's got you covered ♪ ♪ great big jim, there ain't no other ♪ -so, this is covered, right? -yes, ma'am. take care of it for you right now. giddyup! hi! this is jamie. we need some help.
5:56 pm
whatever your home may hand you, behr through it, in one coat. behr marquee, #1 rated interior paint. right now, get incredible savings on behr. exclusively at the home depot. brbut how will his dentured to thicope with... a steak. luckily for brad, this isn't a worry because he's discovered super poligrip. it holds his denture tight and helps give him 65% more chewing power. leaving brad to dig in and enjoy the tastiest of t-bones. super poligrip, helping you enjoy the foods you love. one picky customer shouldn't take all your time. need something printed? the business advisors at office depot can assist with exactly what your business needs to grow. get your coupon for 20% off services, technology and more at office depot and officedepot.com. technology and more the first thing that was important for me to change
5:57 pm
was the culture of the company. and i think that had to shift to responsible growth. second thing i wanted to change was the leadership of the company. and the third was for us to start listening. listening to our riders. listening to our driver partners. i think listening is ultimately going to make us a better company.
5:58 pm
♪ happy birthday to you ♪ happy birthday dear kasie ♪ happy birthday to you >> thank you. wow. wow. i'm not responsible for this. oh, my god.
5:59 pm
>> happy birthday. >> thank you, guys. thank you. i didn't ask them to do this. our executive producer i think is behind us. we're missing him. he's in new york. this is my wonderful -- our wonderful team that brings you the show. you can see the control room. alex and ben, say hello. thank you guys. this is our wonderful team that works in d.c. here. they brought our guests back. these hats are pretty good. i don't know about the imperial march music. what are you watching for? >> more midterm news. the president is traveling to nashville. mitch mcconnell told us that he is more concerned about tennessee than about ohio and pennsylvania. >> i'm looking forward to see if there's going to be a north korean summit. or not. >> is there or isn't there? i'm going with that also. i'm out of time. look at some of the leaks
6:00 pm
tonight are worth taking a look at. i'm sure we will talk about it tonight. that does it for us tonight. thank you. i hate all of you. i'm kidding. it was very nice. we will be back next week. i lived my entire life waiting for this moment. >> it's an unprecedented super hero movie that thrills audiences. >> we put our blood, sweat and tears into that movie, into these characters. i felt like we knew we had something special. >> "black panther" sparked a conversation about race, equality and culture in a polarized nation. >> to have a movie that is about morality at a time when morality is under attack all over our country, the audience said, thank you. >> as far ta

119 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on