Skip to main content

tv   All In With Chris Hayes  MSNBC  November 11, 2016 12:00am-1:01am PST

12:00 am
>> "all in" starts right now. good evening from new york. i'm chris hayes. after aresidential campaign during which he suggested he would question the peaceful
12:01 am
transfer of power if he lost president-elect donald trump today participated in a one of the key rituals for that transfer of power, meeting with the outgoing president of the united states, and struck a conciliatory tone. >> this was a meeting that was going to last for maybe 10 o 15 minute and we were just going to get to know each other. we had never met each other. i have great respect. the meetingg lasted for almost a hour and a half. and it could have, as far r i'm concerned, it could haveone for a lot longer. we really -- we discussed a lot of different situations, some wonderful and some difficulties. vevery much look forward to dealing with the president in the future including counsel. he explained some of the difficulties, some of the high-flying assets and somome of the really great things t tt have been achieved. so, mr. president, it was a
12:02 am
great honor being with you and i look forward to being with you many, many more times in the future. thank you. >> for the record, the meeting had been schcheduled for an hour not 10 o or 15 minutesn what trump said, his first e ever public comments from the white house. trump, his wife, melania, and vice president-elect mike pence went too capitol hill to meet with house speaker ryan a mitch mcconnell. tellingg them top priorities are immigration, helt care, the border, quote, big league jobs promising people you'll be very, very happy. if you missed the presidential campaign and didn't know who donald trump was, gracious power d calls of unity including from president obama. >> i want to emphasize to you, mr. president-elect, that we now are going to want to do everything we can to helpp you succeed because if we succeed, then the country succeeds.
12:03 am
>> that comment came despite the president within the past week having described both trump -- both as uniquely unqualified and temperamentally unfit for the presidency, a point white house press secretary josh earnest was pressed on repeatedly today. >> look, the president's views hasn't changed. he stands by what he said on the campaign trail. he had an opportunity to make he made that argument vigorously. all across country but the american people decided. the election is over. the president didn't get to choose his successor. the american peopl did and they've chosen president-elect trump and president obama is determin t to preside over transition that gives the incoming president the opportunity to get a running start. >> while trump went through the normalitualsls today, there were ominous signs throughout the country of a verybnorormal future. trump refusing to let a group of journalists travel withim to cover his meeting with president position trump's staff restoring a page on his can campaign website calling for a tot and complete shutdown of muslims
12:04 am
entering the united states which temporarily disappeared over what trump staff now says is a technical glitch. anti-trump protests raged for the second straight day, there were numerous signs the country's most hate-filled people may fee emboldened in the wake of trump's victory. ku klux klan annnnnces plans for a victory parade in north carolina, same state overnight someone spray painted the words "black lives don't matter and neither do your votes." philadelphia, black woman's suv spray paintedithh the phrase "trump rules" and "black bitch." in california a muslim student telling police she was followed by two men who made comments about trump and muslims before robbinheher. pennsylvania, high schoo yelling "white power." speaking to the cio elizabeth warren said they'd fight bigry no matter who is in the white house. >> we will fight back against
12:05 am
attacks on latinos, african-americans, women, muslim, immigrants, disabled americans, on everyone. whether donald trump sits in a glglass tower or sits in the whi house, we will n not give an inc on this. not now, not ever. >> joining me now from the white house, kristen welker. what was that scscene like? >> reporter: it was striking, riris, for all of the reasons president obama had just campaigned so vigorously against president-electrump. he had said he will never be elected president and he the office, but, look, i have been talking to sources here, officials here, who say the president takes this very
12:06 am
seriously. this transition of power. this is something that they have been working on here for about a year. of meetings with his staffers. there are going to be intelligence briefings as you know and there are also going to be s some exercises in case of emergency dd crisis situations. so this is something t that they've been mappi out. they think it's funundamental to the democracy. i can tell you that i've been talking to some sources in and around washington who say there was a sense that the t tmp team was a little overwhelmed. none of them have ever servedn office before. and so talking to my sources, they say, look, we don't place blame for that, but the reality is there's a very steep learning curve when you a coming into the white house. and so i think that was on display. notably, the birther isissue, we are told, did not come up durini that meeting. of course, that is one of the issues that has made their relationship so contentious. and, of course, this was the first time the two have auallyy met in person. sosot was just striking toee them, to see their body language, and i think there was an attempt to bridge the very large gap that has existed between them, but, you know,
12:07 am
earnest said there was no attempt to relitigate these debates. this was about starting to move forward. >> let me ask you about the reporting today on the president-elect's pool. the political repepter who was part of that pool had a long tweet storm saying basically basically shut down the pool. they didn't tell them where he was going. this was a real break with the tradition, that traditionally the pool that's in place t that' called the protective pool, so that the members of the mededia know what the president is doing at anyny time, that's aoo implemented for the president-elect. today was the first day of what that would have been and they -- it didn't happen. is that right? >> reporter: that is the latest reporting,g, and i can tell you that there have been some conversations behind the scenes. we do have white house correspondents' association to make sure those types of things do not happen. we're constantly fighting with the obama administration for more access. so, look, this is sethihing the white house correspondents'
12:08 am
association would not, will not ever back down on making sure we're getting as much access as possssible. but you're right, that's an indication there may be some thorny discussions moving forward. it speaks to this issu though, this is someone whooes not have experience in washington rving inin government, and so there are going to be potentially some of these moments where the traditions that exist here may not be the obvious choices that are made. >> all right, kristen welker, thanks for your update. appreciate it. > joining me, morn s state university professor, jason johnson. mckay coppin, senior political writer at buzzfeed news. i got to start, well, let me ststart here, jason. i to play this bit of president obama talking to reverend al sharpton, the inauguration, the possibility of this moment. take a listen. >> i mean, can you imagine how you would feel standing on the steps of t t capitol having to hand over the power andnd watch him put his hand on that bible and become your successor?
12:09 am
>> no. >> after saying you weren't even a u.s. citizen? >> you know, the thing is i don't take any of thihis personally because he is not somebody who's fit to be president in any circumstances. i would feel deeply frustrated, not because anything he said ababout me, but because i would fear for the future of o country. >> there's something about that image, about the first black president sitting and shaking the hand of a man who lnchedd his political career demanding his papers. >> yes. demanding his papers, identity papers, freedom papers, his college degree and the idea that president obama will have to hand off to this person is not only disturbing, i is a heartfelt concern for many, many, mama americans. i also say this, i reallll believe that conversation was a lot more contentious than donald trump wants to admit because i'm sure president obama said to him, you know what, you can say whatever you want to me, but if
12:10 am
you run this c country the way y ran this campaign, it will fall apart around your earsrs. pretty sure he told him. >> t that is interesting to be a fly on the wall there. the idea of the dog that caught the car which is part of the idea here around the trumpmp folks, you've been around that inner circle. i mean, no one's ready to be prpresident of the united states no one is ready to staff a white house, but just an objective historical resume sense, there's never been anyone less preparar. >> less qualified, less thought into it, frankly.. i think that, more than anything, is what i find disconcerting talking to people in his inner circle. i mean, look, there are people in the republican establishment whgogot on the trump train and those pelele have some basic idea. some idea of how the federal government functions. those are not the people in trump's immediate circle. the people who ran his campaign, i mean, look, we were saying off the air r at i was getting e-mamails and notes from people
12:11 am
trump's campaign in theinal days of the raceho arere trying to make nice with me and, you know, repair any damaged relationships because they thought that this campan wawas over. they thought that after november 8th, we wod hahave to be working together again. now that they find themselves in this situationon, where they are now counseling the president-elect to the united states, i mean, i don't't -- i think a lot of them probably are stunned and there trying to -- they're tryininto feel their way through it rig now. >> key point here, which i think bears repeating, people talk about no one saw this coming and people were caught unaware and the elite liberal bubble, et cetera, that includes the trump campaign. let's just be very clear. they're included in that. >> the rnc's own internal numbers showed him losing. >> let's just be clear when we talk about -- i don't -- i want to follow up on something you said, but i also don't want to ignore the part of the split screre we showed.
12:12 am
we showed - -- one level w we ta about the sort of -- the normal transfer of power, and in some ways there are certain ways that that's important. normal. part of the cic bullwo.. those stories that we're seeing, they're -- now, you know, people post things on facebook and we as a journalistic enterprise have to make sure that's vetted and true. one case in louisiana of woman making something up, but it t is clear that there are outbreaks of hate crime, hate speech, being directed at people connected to the word "trump." >> right. >> very specifically. and there are a lot of people in this cntryry that feel like a target. >> yeah. they feel like targets for good reason. ththis was happening beforehand. d d it happen in emory. i have a colleague in silver spring, maryland, woke up the next morning, a watermelon had been smashed and smemeed on the front of her car. >> a colleague of yours the morning after the election? >> a colleague of mine the morning after the election. i'm getting text messaged from
12:13 am
my students saying should i marrrry my partner now, are they going to make gay marriage illegally? peaceful transition. not just a matter of obama handing over the job. donald trump has an obligation to the country, tell the klan and hi followers, hey, guys, be fair because we can't runhihis country if you're attacking part >> there's this whole question behavior on the campaign trail. shouldn't be normalized. i do think what president obama said is true, which is the way our democracy functions is that somebody has been democratically elected, the ection n wasn't rigged, it was a free and fair election. he has to be ushered into the government without any, you know, anyone stopping him, but that said, it is not on the democrats to stop this behavior. it's not on president obama to stop this. trump is the president-elect. it i ion him to now try to be a unifying force in this country. it is on the republican party, the party that got him elected, to now make -- to -- this is their problem.
12:14 am
to say, donald trump can -- donald trump, there's a lot dold trump canan do. donald trump could invite the khan people to -- >> yeah. >> donald trump could make a speech in which he says to every nanazi and kkk member and bigot, do not want your support. >> i condemn what you do. do. our political coalition. he could give that speech. all of that is a doable thing. >> i hope he does. i hope he does. this is the thing. root for him to d t those things >> one more thing about the news today about -- we're talalking about this, what's unprecedented. the trump's kids to run business via blind trump, trump attorney says. this is not a blind trust. this is mething we paiaid attention to on this show with reporting, completely i think unprecedented, underappreciated. people complain about the clinton foundation being essentially a slush fund to buy access. running a business that is not a public business. >> yes.
12:15 am
>> that coultake investments, loans, deals and partnerships around the world with anyone who wants to get into the graces of the american president. >> talk about an organization -- a way for somebody to curry favor with the pridenent. there is a company being run by his children that can take money without ever disclosing. >> banks he regulates. if this wasussein, we'd be saying this is a horrible dictatorship but this is essentially what we have happeninin you're going to have the family of the predent o of the united states being an indirect pathway not only for his power but ways for him to hide things he's engage in. by the way, we haven't seen his taxess so we don't know how his cocompany operates. >> there b been a lot of self-flagellation in the media, it should happen, we have to be holding ourselves accountable, others should be holding us accountatae. this illustrates how aggressive and adversarial in some cases the political press needs to bee over the next four years. ththere need to be reporters -- >> that's right. >> -- digging into the trump organization, there need to be reporters holding the white
12:16 am
house accountable and fighting every act that he tries to take to limit press access. that needs to happen. >> has to happen. >> i wanto thank you both. i want to just let our viewewers know what they're watching. two big anti-trump protests tonight in the cities of baltimore and portland. we've got obviously -- we've got eyes on that. there's also protests in milwaukee and minnpolis as well. of that throughout the night as the reaction to what happened, the seismic cataclysm that happened in this country, historic really,s evereryone processes the reverberations of at t throughout the country. thosarare images of denver at this moment. people taking to the streets across the country. and that is just sort of the first few days. there's a lot more to come in every different direction. jason johnhnson, mckay coppens, thank you very much. all right. stl toto come, could the head of breitbart news soon be running the white house? new reporting today on where rudy giuliani, chris christie
12:17 am
and steve bannon can fit in donald trump's cabinet and what that's aft thihis two-minute break.
12:18 am
12:19 am
of president-elect donald trump. the focus turns to trump actually governing. that means two things. staffing and a legislative agenda. staffing first. some of the names being floated, steve bannon for chief of stafaf the head of the c conservative breitbart website and trump's campaign chairman. he may be in competition for the post with rnc chair reince priebus. bannon declared the site hesed alt white. kellyanne conway, former campaign manager corey lewandowski being considered for the jobs. ncerling being considered. former new york mayor rudy giuliani, ever present trump surrogate during the campaign seems to be open to becoming attorney general. >> do you have it in you to be attorney general? do you feel that you have the
12:20 am
energy, do you feel- >> oh, my god. >> -- the desire? >> i certataly have the energy and there's probably nobody that knows the justice department better than me. >> the head of trump's transition team, governor chris christie would be a possibili for attorney generara although of course there's bridge-gate hanging over his head. newt gingrich is being considered for secretary of state as is bob corker according to politico. we can expect action on a hos of items, taxes, defense spending, infrastructure spending, immigration and atattempt to appeal the affordab care act and dodd/frank financial reform, some possibly hinging on the filibuster power of senate democrats. trump met with senate majority liter mitch mcconnel hou speaker paul ryan. you can best those two men have a lot t they want to do and are thinking now we got someone we can do it with. >> let me just say how excited we are about these opportunities for the country. we had a fantastic, productive rolling up our sleevesnd g going to work for the american people.
12:21 am
>> whether it's health care or immigration, so many different things, we'll be working on them very rapidly. i think we'll be putting things up pretty quickly. >> jnining me now, senator jeff merkley. i want to start with the images we're seeing out of the city you're in, portland, there are big street protests tonight. there are street protests all over the country. there were last night. is is s just the second day of the new world in whiche find ourselves. you're eingng? >> these protests are folks sending a message to the president-elect that his attacks on hispanics and blacks and veteransnd virtually everyone at different aspects of society are totally unacceptable and that, quite frankly, as he assumes the mantle of leadership, he needs to assume a maturity that he has not demonstrated in the campaign and eds to demonstrate that his campaign of divisiveness and denigration is done and he's
12:22 am
ready to put together policies that will, in fact b focused on makingng america work for workin america. we know how mitch mcconnell and john boehner played their role in the early days of barack obama's presidency. they made s strategic political decision to offer no help to the president, not say let's find common grounds of things we can do together because that would validate that president. that was a very effective political strategy even if it was terrible for the cocountry. you now find yourself in the senate democratic caucus. what is your strategy? >> yeah, i completely reject the strategy mitch mcconnell has had essentially inflicting pain on america in an effort to dismantle the credibility of an american presidenen that strategy doesn't belong in anyone in elected office. it's unpatriotic. it's destructive. it damages people. and we've seen it implemented over the last eight yea andnd
12:23 am
certainly not the way that i and my colleagues will approach it. we're going too find the areas that we can work together and certainly coming out of the gate, perhaps that's all work on an infrastructure package to put america to work. it's something both nominees -- not both nominees but both candidates for president advocated for. we're going to stand up and when the president comes in, president trump comes in and says we're going to do a tax package that will give away the american treasury to the billionaires, we're ing toto say absolutely not. >> senator, i have to say this, i want to -- i to channel what i've seen from other folks. not necessarily making the argument, myself. but let's say the first two things are the following. inasastructure package that would genuinely include e scal stimulus for the country and cocotruction jobs and would be good for the country in a macroeconomic sense. democrats come to the table and help them pass that and they have, therefore, increased the political capital of donalald trump who makes his second item on the agenda a massive deportation force tory to go and
12:24 am
get ridff the 11 million undocumented immigrants. don't you contribute to his ability to do the latter if you help him do the former? >> i don't think soso i think that there would be a massive reaction that it's way beyond the realm of the acceptable. you would see the american people responding in the streets as they are now. you would see us standing up and working to blolo such a bill and i think we'd have many partners on the republican sidef the aisle that would say that that was absolutely unacceptable. >> i want to ask about the interesting battle now taking shape for the future of the democrcratic rtrty. howard dean has thrown his h h into the ring to be dnc chair, bernie sanders said he wants to see keith ellison, your colleague on the other side of the aisle and also one of the very few members of the united statates congress who endorsed
12:25 am
bernie sanders. you and he together. do you have a favorite in that? >> well, certainly i think that we need to have a major shakeup at the dnc. what occurred in the -- during this last election was unacceptable. you need to have a dnc that trts all candidates equally. but i think we have to infuse the energy of those who campaigned so hard in the election, the grassroooots. it can't be business as usual. that's for sure. we've seenmerican electotorate say business for usual is not going to work. there is -- there is so much that was wrong with the trump candidacy, but part of the folks who responded to his call were folks who have seenn the genuine failure of the economy to lift up working people. >> yeah. >> and that's certainly the one thing i agree with for the last four decades, this economy, virtually all the new income has gone to the top 10%, and we need to find thoho areas where we can actually make a change in that. and that includes enhancing manufacturing jobs in this country,t incncludes the ability to go to community college for
12:26 am
free, it includes the ability to have debt-f-free higher educatio it inclus careeeer technical education in our high schools. there's a host of areas we can really help working america, and by the way, it also includes taking on the pharmaceutical companies on the extravagant prices that they're charging for the drugs americans need to stay healthy. >> all right. senator jeff merkley, appreciate your time, thank you. >> there's one other issue if i could slip it in. >> sure. attention to the supreme court seat. the seat thats sitting empty iseingng stolen. it's being stolen from the obama administration and the construct of our constitution and it's being delivered to an administration that has no right to fill it, ande e have to understand that this is about the koch brothers cartel working with the republican majority to say that they want to basically pack the court. >> right. what are you going to do about it?
12:27 am
this. informed on it. and to say there's no legitimacy to supreme court justice in a seat that's been stole from one administration and hded to another. s so what, but, okok, no legitimacy, i understandour point, they left the seat open. >> need to do everything we possibly can to block it. we need to use our power. you know, i've -- >> so your belief is that donald trump's supreme court nineeee after the unprecedented pay fofor 300 days under a sitting u.s. president, that the president-elect nominating to that court will be on arrival doa and illegitimate? >> well, it will be iegitimate but ititon't be doa unless the american people understand thihi is the theft of the court and what it is is a theft being delivering it to the koch brothers, and the koch brothers are notnteresested in we, the people. it's turning our constitutionn o its head. this is government by and for
12:28 am
the most powerful. it's locking in citizens united which is completely against the mother principle that jefferson laid out for an equal voice for citizens and this is going to cocorrupt our political system i a way never envisioned or intended by our constitution for a generation to come, so be need to be talking about it and do everything we can to stop it. >> would you takthe poposition that senator richard burr did fore the election that you would keep that seat open as long as democrats could even if it took the entire duration of a term and keep a 4-4 court? >> first i would call upon the -- not theadministration, but the majority leader, merrick garland ts a legitimate shot at a vote here inn the lame duck and then the trump administration, if they want to see a partnership and cooperation, needs to put -- if he puts forward a nominee, it should be memeick gaand. >> wow. >> not packing the court from m the far right. >> very interesting to see how this all plays out. senator jeff merkley, appreciate it. >> thank you. still ahead, how donald trump's narrow victory and supposed blue-walltates came
12:29 am
with the help of former obama voters and new evidence that james comey's fbi l lter could very well be the reasoso there i a president-elect donald trump.
12:30 am
i likee donald trump and i ju -- it wawas just time for me to have e a change in my fe.. >> did you vote for barack obama? >> yep. i sure did. >> twice? >> twice. absolutely. >> i voted for obama twice and i didn't vote for him because he was a black man. i voted for him because he had a memessage of hope and change. i was a democratntil t this year. >> okay. >> i switched parties so that i could vote for trump initially in the prprimaries. >> simplest way to understand donald trump's victory tuesday is a a chunk oththe electorate
12:31 am
that had voted for obama in 2008 and d 12 decided to vote for donald trump this year. many of them, white people without college degrees. the 700 counties nationwide that voted for obamama twice, only two-thirds of them stuck with the democrats and hillary clinton according to the "washiton n post," about a third flipped to trump this year. by contrast of the 2,200 country counties that never voted for obama, clinton only managed to flip six. this ishat that looks like across the country. those dark orang areas of the two-titime obama counties that went for trump this year. note the clulusters in the northeast, the upper midwest. you don't need to zoom out quite so far to understand what happened on tuesday. you just need to focus on three spifific states that sealed trump's electoral college victory.y. michigan wchch remains too close to call, though trump holds the lead. previously been part of the so-called blue wall, a solid bloc of states that voted for the democrat in every presentialal election since 1992 when they powered bill clinton to victy. john kerry won tm in 2004. and if hilry c clinton had held onto themtuesday, she would be
12:32 am
the president-elect today. trump only barely managed to edge her out. adding up his margins in those three key states. the cumulativ tototal comes out to just around 107,000 votes. that is about the capacity of the university of michigan football stadium. in ohio, another rust belt state that f flipped from obama trump, one w woman told propublica, she's disappointed inhe president after having voted for him. "i don't like the obama persona, his public appearance and demeanor" tracy said. "i wanted people like me to be cared about. people don't realize there's nothing without a blue collar worker."
12:33 am
12:34 am
12:35 am
12:36 am
michigan hasn't voted for republican for president since 1988. electoral votes have been a pretty reliaiable part of democrats' path to victory. thiseaear all that changed. as of right now the state is too close to call, donald trump holding onto a margin of 12,000 votes. cast a ballot on esday, but left the presidential li blank. nearly double the numbeber from four years ago. joined now by ale mamacgillis. author of "revenge of the forgotten class." thers been a lotot of really and very fraught conflicts and fights about the sort of genre of reporting about the, quote, white working class in the midwest. one thing i think that's important to distinguish between our core trump supporters and
12:37 am
essentially the marnanal voters that were necessary to put him er thehe top and you talked to a lot of those folks throughout the campaign. what did you learn? >> well, you're right. this is a really important group, and i think, you know, too often we get io this discussion of, oh, the white working class, how can the democrats ever get back the white working class? they lost them so long ago. what we're talking about this year is really a subset of the white working class. these are people who voted for barack obama in 2008 and some of them evenn 2012. you cannot win these states. ohio, pennsylvania, michigan, wisconsin, without winning quite a few of them. and barack obama did win quite a few of them. theroblblem is that this year, hillarclintoton did not win a lot of these same fos. she did not -- towns lik toledo, she did 15 points worse than obama in tse towns and lost these states. the question is what do you need do to get them ba? and it's not -- it shouldn't be
12:38 am
that hard of a problem because, again, you had them just four years ago. it's just that this year, somehow the message -- the message didn't get through the wawait did four years ago that the democrats are the party that's on your side. goodod at driving that message agagainst mitt romney and this year it just wasn't getting through. part of that's donald trump but part of it is also the direction that the democratic party and the candidate who was running this year had headed tse last couple year >> yeah, that's a -- i mean, people forget a little bit, 2012, barack obama pounded mitt romney for beiei essentially an out off touch multimillionaire tough who made his whole earnings off outsourcing and closing down factories. and that was a populist appeal. that worked. thatat was a very effective political strategy about a a cor economic message. gm is alive anbin n laden is dead. the core economic message from the clinton campaign this year
12:39 am
was beneath a set of layered messages about temperament and with voters that tempement argument and argument of bigotry did not move them. so that's a big part of it that they chose to go with that sort of unfitness for office argument instead which that made se sense because one can make the case that he's unfit f for offic but the economic message got lost. hillary clinton turned out to be not actually the best vehicle for that sort of economic message. >> you know, back in 2008, she won against obama with these people. th's thehe great irony. she beatbama with these veryy voters in primars. now she's come a long ways from that hillary clinton who represented upstate new york in the senate. w shshe's the hillary clinton who is off in the state department and what did she do when she came backrom the state department? instead of going around these states and visiting small towns and all that, doing a listening tour, she went and gave a speaking tour. she went and gave 80 paid speeeees over those 2 years for $18 million.
12:40 am
for president. >> let me say this, two quick things. one is, you say that then you read the quotes in your article, right, there's people who say, well, this really was about race and white nationalism. then you read some of the quotes in your article, i don't like his demeanor. that's not playing some role in some of this voting decision as well. >> absolutely. i mean, race is all mixed up in this. article about a young guy who voted for obama and is talking about how he fee put off by the black lives matter movement. there's absolutely race shot through all of this. it's all mixed together. the other part of it that i think we really can't overlook is regional inequality. >> yep. these places. it's not just these voters. it's these places that have fallen so far behind. these bubbles of prosperity that we have. new york, d.c., san francisco. these placeces that are just completely soaring away from the rest of the country. it's n not just that these place
12:41 am
are struggling. they've been struggling for a long time. they see these other pces that are doing so incdibly well an the democrats, let's face it, the dememocrats have become more and more the party of those places that are doing very well. so it becomes almost culturay more difficult for them to reach out to these places that are struggling. >> and finally just one thing, because we're talking about these thin margins. james comey's decision to write that letterine days before the election then a few days, you know, seven days later say actually there's nothing t see here, i think therere's very strong evidence that was pretty decisive. here's the late breaking -- late deciders breaking for trump. people that broke in the last week, 50%-38%. the internal polling and da we have, rnc data shows the first week of october, two battleground states within three points. last weekend, 13 battleground states within 3 points. i mean, how is you sense of how important that was? >> absolutely imimportant. you could sen the momentum shift at that moment.
12:42 am
so clearly. i think it was most important, actually, with the other voters that trump got. the suburban college educated republicans. re going to dedect from trump because they just couldt stomach him. in the end, he got a majority of college educated white votes. we need to remember that. it wasn't just the white working class. it was also the more upscale vovoters. >> those numbers moved a lot after the comey letter whi, again, was a letter about a set of e-mails h had not read in violation of doj policy, later had to say nothing to see there. thank you, alec macgillis. i want to make the case for not unfriending anyone in your news feed becse it's possible for our current political climate. although i've heard you may need to do that. i'll explain ahead. just like that, a moment turns romantic. so why pause to take a pill? and when you're having fun why stop to find a bathroom? with cialis for daily use, you don't have to plan around either. it's the only daily tablet approved to treat erectile dysfunction so you can be ready anytime the moment is right.
12:43 am
plus cialis treats the frustrating urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. why pause the moment? ask your doctor about cialis for daily use. and for a $200 savings card, go to cialis.com tonight, a bonus thing. one thing, too, without a commercial break in between. the political world was focused on wasngton,n, d.c., today, as donald trump held meetings with presidt obamama and top g leaders, a mother in
12:44 am
westchester, new york, described herself as heartbroken following the election decided to take her daughters hiking. "i decided to take them to one of my favorite places in chappaqua. as we were leaving i heard rust lg coming toward me." who did she run into while hiking in chappaqua? hillary clinton and bill clinton walking their dogs. she wrote "i got to hug her and talk to her and teller one of my proudest moments as a mother was taking phoebe to vote with her." funny day i can remember in a long ti. that's thing two. i was on l le night with seth meyers and normally th point we would play you the funny parts but it wasn't all that funny. but we had a really important discussion about what i think helped explain this election. called "twilight of the elites" which talked about a lot of this, strange way predict add lot of this and just mentioned distrust and there is a core
12:45 am
distrust of the media, of our leaders, of even military leaders. like, there's -- what -- does that trust ever me bacack or is it lost? that't's in some ways the project, right? the project has to be building back up some of that very necessary trust. now, healthy distrust is good, right? learn that with the war in iraq or the financial crisis, right, i mean, the e was a lot of really smart authoritative people saying we got these models about housing derivatives and believe us, this is going to work. they were wrong. t when you sort of weaponize that distrust, when you spread it everywhere, you actually lose the ability to formm knowledge. and i mean this in a really literal sense. like, the things that you, seth meyers, know, are actually just things that you read or heard from a trusted source. >> uh-huh. >>ou know, like, you haven't conducted the experiments, right? >> no. no field work. >> you have not done the field work. you know it because of trust. and when that gets severed, you end up in a s situation in which
12:46 am
the entire public discourse goes completely, complplely haywire. coming up, how the severing was public trust was amplified as the largest social media platform in the wor became a hub for false news, right after this break. happy anniversary dinner, darlin'
12:47 am
can this much love be cleaned by a little bit of dawn ultra? oh yeah one bottle has the grease cleaning power of two bottles of this bargain brand. a drop of dawn and grease is gone.
12:48 am
you saw it on fafabook. says so in thi article right here fromm wtoe 5 news. pope shocks world, endorses trump. the only thing is, it's not true. digging on the wtoe 5 news website, it admits wtoe 5 news is a fantasy news site. most articles on wtoe5news.com are satire or pure fantasy. thatat disclaimer doesn't come u when you share its content on website. the website,snopes, debunked it. the original fake pope trump endorsement got well over 800,000 shares.
12:49 am
that was the eleleion in a nutshell. magazine, basically facebook built the largest platform for the dissemination of incorrect information and news er created in human history. over the summer, fafacebook got rid of its humans editing its trending topics list, ceding it to an analogy rhythm. the majojoty of americans, 62% say ey get their new from social media. 42% of adultss get news specifically from facebook, two in ten get their news from print newspaper. gallup found public confidence, the mass media at all-time low this pasasseptember. facebook is admitti it needs to stop the spread of misinformation, it's twinned with another facebook problem. the great unfriending of 2016, how it isolates people even further, next. this is lulu, our newest dog.
12:50 am
12:51 am
mom didn't want another dog. she said it's too much work. lulu's hair just floats. uhh help me! (doorbell) mom, check this out. wow. swiffer sweeper, and dusters. this is what i'm talking about. look at that. sticks to this better than it sticks to lulu. that's your hair lulu! mom, can we have another dog? (laughing) trap and lock up to 4x more dirt, dust and hair than the store brand stop cleaning. start swiffering.
12:52 am
12:53 am
on unfriendly rating. but anecdotally the rate seems to be pretty high. one clinton supporter purt it i unfriended my brother a sister-in-law today not because they were being o obnoxious but seeing the post t and likes was a sad reminder to mee of how little we have in common. unfriending those with different views may be cathartic means that those who are isolaing themselves in like-minded bubbles is perhaps why we got here in first place.
12:54 am
author of the piece donald trump won because of facebook let me do the latter part of it. like the things that u'u're seeing in your feed ten to be shared by people who you're socializing with and there tends to be a like-mindedness there. but this idea of like, you know, there's all this discussion now about people are out o touch with each other in these two misses the fact that everybody has family in different places. you know what i mean? yeah, people are from -- yeah, people's parents voted for trump or their sister or they did. what did you think about howhehe conversation across the potitical divide and racial divide is happening on social media right now? >> i think it's happening, frankly, too much on social media and not in real lifefe >> i could not agree more. it's happening in thehelace that's most conducive to the st
12:55 am
kinind of toxic intection.n. >> absolutely. frankly, it also means that we're spending a fair amount of time thinking about what is our civic time. so overworked.. they get a little bit of home time and they plug into a and if a third of that time were actually spent in any kind of real life interaction with other human beings outside of your different kind of social justice infrastructure, civic infrastructure, it snds l like rotary club of me. >> no, it's a great point. the other part of the problem is that we have this geographical polarization as well. people aren't living around each othewith d different views and acrosshesese sort of divides. social media becomes the place they sort of experience it. social media, as you've written. it is crazy to think about the most powerful platform for the dissemination of information in the history of the planet has no editorial standards. like you could get 10 million views on an article that says barack obama was born in keny >>
12:56 am
yeah, absolutely. and because of the way facebook woworks because it has these sor of difficult to navigate privacy control ks and stuff spirals off and you can't chase misinformation and find ways to debunk it the way you might be able to do on reddit or on the way it spepeaks to this ia social media is the bad place to have these coverings in part because they're being had under articles that are lies. >> the common thread of the article saying that, for instance, re's one from the -- therere is a macedonn town that stst churns out fake trump information because it gets them u.s. ad dollars and there are 17-year-olds who want to buy electric guitars. there'anan article that hillary clinton is about to be indicted. >> but donald trump said that from the stump. >> which is why that was a viral story. >> right. some responsibility here. i know it's kind of like intereing toto think about it in faceceok, but it also realllly
12:57 am
started in fox newews and right wing radio. and the general narratives that are picked up by someone, a macedonian teenager who doesn't even live here can pick up and understand -- >> it won't get rid. >> bauause for the past ten years fox x news has been tellin us four basic stories about the world that are now kind of understood deeply. like at a gut level. by the mosos -- excuse me, msnbc e most watched cable news network in the country. >> yeah, that's true. >> that's true. although facebook, the crazy thing is that facebook now has a much bigger audience. and the aununt of traffic they're driving and p particular driving to like -- fox news is in one category, but like a literal fanta news website run by macedonian teens. >> you have to think about facecebook didn't teach anybody lili >> it didn't teacheoplee to be duped by -- >> or to want to whaer what -- >> fox news is like a
12:58 am
susupersoaker, facebook is like fire hose. so you've got a cable network and they're spraying disinformation everywhere, then facebook comes along and they people. >> i tnknk also a good question is sort of, okay, that's what's been done by mostly k kind of right wing independent fake news and blogs. but why aren't progressives doing the same thing? and progressives are. i was just in the interaction today with upworthy, and their stuff is about feeling good. i mean, which is wonderful. but it's just not the same kind of knife fight that is going on on the right. >> that's part of what's intereining, too, is that the pepeople, for instance, the macedonian teens, they don't care whether they're doing hillary clinn n or donald trump stuff. and the fact is that's where all the money has been, in advertising with all the shahas have been in this electi, it's totally been on the right. and that comes from totalally splil entrepreneurs who just want to get clicks. why is that, though?
12:59 am
>> trump -- so from what i've heard from people who have done reporting fm this is trump drives engagement big league. he does it bigger than anybody else. that not on bernie sanders, not even elizabeth warren, not even the populist of the left can genete that t kind of passion. i wish i knew why, but i don't. >> quickly, should people be unfriending their -- >> well, so, i think part of the problem here was that this w was not even just aandididate election or a policy election or party election. people really feel -- people on the left reall f feel this was a values election. so when donald trump sort of embodied race im, sexism and greed, it's notikee i'm unfriendg g you because of something small, it's because you're really, really hurting my values. >> at the corere. >> yes. the rachel maddow show starts right now.
1:00 am
thins look a little different in my immediately ambient presence. that's because i'm in boston tonight. the reason i'm in boston tonight is because massachusetts senator elizabeth warren is going be joining me live right here shortly for her first tv interview since donald trump was elected to be the next president of the united states. elizabeth warren is here for her first tv interview since the election. very excited about that. that's coming up momentito. but first, storytime. and like lots of good fictional stories, this one starts with a song. >> that old beach boys song, bomb iran. ♪ bomb bomb bomb anyway. >> when arizona senator john mccain was running for president in 2008, he was asked about the contentious issue of our relationship with iran.

88 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on