Skip to main content

tv   Today  NBC  November 3, 2016 11:00am-11:59am MDT

11:00 am
from nbc news, this is "today" with kathie lee gifford and hoda kotb. live from studio 1a in >> hello, everybody, welcome to thirsty thursday. the day after an exhausting but exciting historic night in chicago. >> was that frank sinatra? ? i love it ? >> isn't he the same guy who sings "new york new york"? >> yes. oh, well. listen, we want to say great congratulations to them. i mean what a way to go out, an extra inning and the whole
11:01 am
predict, can we make a prediction right now, that this entire moment will be a movie at this time next year, okay. >> yes, yes, like the hockey one, do you believe in miracles. >> we just have to figure out who's playing whom but you know it's going to happen soon. i loved i guess eddie vedder did a song and they showed shots of people watching it from different locations but some people are just in their own home with their babies. some people on the streets of chicago like this. >> 1:00 a.m.? >> i did not. >> look at bill murray. >> bill murray's crying and high fiving. has he ever been that happy? >> i don't think so. >> by the way, most people went to bed. because there was that 15-minute rain delay which really if you were hanging in until that point, some people conked out at that point. the game ended with an extra inning. after that rain delay, with all of that anticipation and, boom, it happened, and everyone
11:02 am
come back from that much of a, you know, was it 3-1 at one point? >> yeah, right. >> that's very rare. i don't follow baseball but everybody has to follow this. >> if you tuned in for the first minute, i wonder -- >> didn't you say a home run? >> batter number one. >> boom. >> you were already in. "sports illustrated" gave us a look at the new cover. so here it is. all the way. sinatra song. all the way. he's got a song to cover every emotion in life. >> all right, so back in 1908, here's what's happening. the last time the cubbies won the world series. a postage stamp was one penny. >> henry ford introduced the model t to the world that year. >> arizona, new mexico, alaska and hawaii were not states. >> and forget about puerto rico, forget it. world war 1 was still six years away. >> we should give a shout-out to the cleveland indians because
11:03 am
you know, there's always next year. that's what we like to say. >> yeah, yeah. >> yeah. >> all right. hope springs eternal. if we have a chock-full show today, it's because we have very good producers. mel gibson has had a tough ten years. he now aims to get into good graces directing an intensely powerful new film about world war ii which you loved. everybody that's seen it said i could not move for ten minutes afterwards. couldn't stop thinking abo like "braveheart" was, it just stays with you. not since "chariots fire" have a seen a movie about a profoundly authentic personal faith as powerful as this. andrew garfield is beyond good in this. there's a quote in the interview i did with mel that i wasn't able to get to, there was a quote, he said, hate war but i love the warrior. >> beautiful. >> it's true.
11:04 am
some so many movies he's done. it's called "hacksaw ridge." >> also, we have actress heather graham is here. she's been hanging a lot with john corbett lately. >> i wonder if bo derek knows. she's probably upset. >> yeah. >> whatever. >> why that came to a screeching halt. and of course it's ambush. you going to take off your -- >> no, i like it. >> in our kitchen, it's pumpkin two ways. how kinky. whatever that means. >> i never thought of it that way. >> well, you better start thinking about it. >> you got to start thinking that way, all right? >> and we're going to hit the red carpet and go behind the scenes of last night's cmas. >> littlelliana was there. there's reba. >> by the way, a lot of people were having difficulties deciding which to watch. >> even i was channel surfing. >> i tweeted, what are you watching? everyone said i'm flipping, i've got tivo, i'm going back and
11:05 am
and garth brookses. >> entertainer of the year was garth brooks. this is what he had to say to his wife trisha during his acceptance speech. >> the coolest touring mate you could ever ask for, the love of my life, the breath i breathe in and out this the year, i love you very much very much. i want to thank god for this. it could not have been any better for me. i get to take you home. that's the great thing for me. but i got to tell you, we are so damn lucky to be part o >> isn't this the truth? >> i love when he calls her miss yearwood. >> what did i used to call frank? >> frank gifford. >> always. come here, frank gifford. i don't know why, always. frank gifford, are you ready for dinner? >> you never said frank. always frank gifford. >> i don't know why. it's an endearment, you know and he liked it because he's a legend. >> yes, he is a legend. so carrie --
11:06 am
woman, first, she's got the greatest legs i've ever seen in my life, then she belts out a song and she co-hosted. >> and she won female vocalist of the year. the beautiful thing about carrie, if you ever sit down to speak with her, she's very understated and quiet. >> almost shy. >> you almost lean in because you can't hear. she gets on stage. she's kind of like beyonce that way. >> i was going to say. >> they just kind of set it free and that's exactly what carrie does. >> best male vocalist went to chris stapleton who h the performance of the night, tim mcgraw got teary during his performance of "humble and kind" which took home song of the year. take a listen. ? let that summer sun shine ? ? always stay humble and kind ? ? don't take for granted the love this life gives you ? ? when you get whether you're going ? ? don't forget turn back
11:07 am
? always stay humble and kind ? >> every time. >> yeah. >> every single time i hear that song, i get chillings. you know what's funny, i was doing my sirius radio show. >> why don't you ever pick one of those for i-hoda? >> i did. >> i stand wrong. >> everybody connects with that particular song. >> because it's true, it's just true. >> beautiful. >> all right, and dolly, what a year she's award for lifetime achievement. >> yeah, the woman of country music saluted her. they sung a medley of her songs ending with "i will always love you." take a look. ? i will always love you ? ? i will always love you ?
11:08 am
gosh dang it, dolly, we love you to pieces. >> aw. >> reba cass there, casey mussgraves, jennifer nettle, carrie underwood and martina mcbride. >> magnificent voices. we've got another dolly movie coming up this christmas season. >> yes, we do. >> now it's also national sandwich day. >> what did you pick? >> i don't we picked it so -- >> so long ago. >> let me look. let me bite it. it's got turkey. avocado. >> that's a good one. >> just lettuce. >> avocado, swiss cheese, a little mayo. look at mine. >> what is your, hoda? >> mine looks like i need a bud light with it. ham turkey, pickles, tomato, mayo. you know what i mean? like that. >> oh, so good! all right, i guess we're going to have to do a --
11:09 am
reason we're eating these. >> that's right. it's called the the good deed feed. customers who purchase a sub and drink today only -- excuse me for food in my mouth, everybody, will receive a free sub of equal or lesser value. >> and subway will donate a meal to feeding america, so good for subway. should we play a song? you're going to love this. >> at least i get a sandwich this time. >> listen to this, okay, so if you've ever broken up with someone and you know he's not the right guy for you, he's a bad guy, but you still kind it's sung by little big town. >> i'm in. oh, they won too, so congratulations to them. >> it's called "better man." take a listen. you're going to love this. everyone has this guy in their life. ? didn't know what he had when he had it ? ? and i see the permanent damage you did to me ? ? never again i just wish i
11:10 am
? i wish it wasn't 4:00 a.m. ? ? standing in the mirror ? ? saying to myself ? ? you know you had to do it ? ? i know the bravest thing i ever did was run ? ? sometime also in the middle of the night ? ? i can feel you again ? ? i just miss you ? >> love it. >> okay. ? i wish you were a better m and i wish you were a better man. you don't want him here. >> hoda, i'm with you. i think that's a good song. >> taylor swift wrote that song. you know better than to give her time. >> i wanted to linger. >> all right, it's already getting oscar buzz and praise from critics. >> mel gibson talks to kathie lee about directing his incredible new film called incredible new film called "hacksaw ridge" right there's only one egg that just tastes better. fresher. more flavorful. delicious.
11:11 am
like more vitamins d, e, and omega 3s. and 25% less saturated fat. only one egg good enough for my family. because why have ordinary when you can have the best. eggland's best. the only egg that gives you so much more: better taste. better nutrition. better eggs. happening now? the volumized brow! new brow precise fiber volumizer from maybelline new york. our first brow mascara with fiber-infused gel... fills gaps. adds volume. precisely. maybelline's brow precise fiber volumizer. make it happen ?maybelline new york? i have no idea what's in this seaweed wrap. but with this usp seal i know exactly
11:12 am
anization that sets purity and potency standards. wildlife rescue workers open up a lot of dawn. tough on grease...yet gentle. dawn helps open... something even bigger. go to facebook.com, dawn saves wildlife. my advice for looking younger, longer? get your beauty sleep. and use aveeno? absolutely ageless? night cream blackberry complex. younger looking skin can start today. absolutely ageless? from aveeno?. just fifteen minutes and a little imagination are all you need to make thanksgiving magic. chex party mix.
11:13 am
when the twins arrived, it changed everything, starting with the sleeping arrangements. fortunately there's fingerhut.com. get the credit you deserve and low monthly payments. fingerhut.com. now you can. (coughs) that cough doesn't sound so good. well i think you sound great. move over. easy booger man. take mucinex dm. fine! i'll text you in 4 hours when your cough returns. one pill lasts 12 hours, so... looks like i'm good all night! ah! david, please, listen. still not coughing. not fair you guys! waffles are my favorite! ah! some cough medicines only last 4 hours. but just one mucinex lasts 12 hours. start the relief.
11:14 am
academy award winning director mel gibson has been a fixture in hollywood and in recent years he's overcame some personal struggles. now ten years sober with a baby on the way he's back in the director's chair for "hacksaw ridge." >> he was a pass visit who refused to pick up a weapon on religious grounds and throughout the door saved the lives of 75 men without firing a shot. >> it's an unbelievable true story. i had the chance to with mel to talk about this powerful film. take a look. >> jump on it. >> you're kidding. >> no, i'm going to drag you. let's do it. >> ready? >> yeah. >> let's go. >> we got company.
11:15 am
>> been a long time. in fact, when i was reading, i can't believe it's been ten years. you've been acting and things like that. >> developing, working stuff. projects. >> always got stuff going on. they've been turbulent years. >> yeah. >> but this is, got to say, because i saw the movie last week and i tweeted i cannot remember being more profoundly moved. it's because you rarely see authentic portrayals of people of faith, you know, there's usually something a little cheesy about it and fought hard not to get that into this picture. >> no, i don't thing it's preachy, it's just who the man was. and he be was very humble. and he went into the worst place on earth. he was an ordinary man doing extraordinary things and in incredibly difficult circumstances. the hell of combat. the epicenter of hell, of war. he was armed with nothing more than his faith. conscientious objector. he wouldn't touch a weapon. >> we saw in one instance he does, to save a life. >> he used it to --
11:16 am
splint one time was the only use he had for weapons. >> so i mentioned that it doesn't say "based on," it says "a true story." >> it is. >> i a little bit of research on it. i said, why haven't we heard about this man before? there's a very good reason. >> well, he didn't want his story known. he's a very humble guy. he got the medal of honor for his actions because in one, you know, 12-hour period, he saved 75 mengl >> yes, in constant peril. >> what i love is not since brave heart, which has been my favorite film. i've told you that and "funny girl." strong combination. >> it's a good combo. >> i think a lot of people are going to say this is mel's best work. >> i'm certainly proud of it. you don't do these things alone. had andrew garfield. >> oh, please. >> and vince vaughn and sam worthington and luke bracy and theresa palmer and hugo weaving,
11:17 am
>> everybody brought their "a" game. >> they did. >> i also love the fact, it's not for the faint of heart. if you couldn't watch "saving private ryan" you will not be able to watch this but you should because it's not gratuitous. it's really. it's what really happens in war. the other thing, you had said about desmond, and i think it's true of anybody who struggles with faith in life you said he honed his spirituality. >> yeah. >> while he was in hell. >> yeah,ur juxtaposed against the hell of war which reduces most men to the level of animals. he never lost his equilibrium. he honed his higher self-. greater love has no man than he give his life for his friend. this is what he did over and over. so many times. and in constant peril. he kind know he was coming back. >> wounded himself. >> eventually stepped on a
11:18 am
in the film because it's so unbelievable. >> what? >> after he gets the shrapnel and they're carrying him often in a stretcher and stuff, he sees a guy who's been shot and he jumps often the stretcher, tends to that guy's wound, says, put him on the stretcher, then he crawls back 300 yards and he gets shot up again by snipers. >> and you left that out? >> well, kind of because it was almost too much to believe. and incidentally, you know, he saved 75 guys on hacksaw rid he saved other guys there so he was always -- >> so there's a sequel. >> a prequel actually. >> a prequel. those were before. the other miracle of this movie is you do it in 59 days. >> about half the schedule of "brave heart" for less money and that was 20 years ago. now a days you see independent films. i mean, if the superhero -- believe me, desmond was a superhero, but if he's not
11:19 am
as i told you, i'm personally so happy for you. congratulations openn the movie. congratulations on the new baby on the way. great things for mel gibson. you deserve it, sweetie. >> thank you. >> "hacksaw ridge" opens tomorrow. do not miss this movie. it is unbelievable. we're going to take you behind the scenes at last to last night's cmas. ? ? ? ? and off you go, ? ? ? and off you go, ? for every step, every stride, every start, begin strong with the lasting energy of 100% whole grain quaker oats... and off you go. if your sneezes are a force to be reckoned with... you may be muddling through allergies. try zyrtec? for powerful allergy relief.
11:20 am
because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. try zyrtec?. muddle no more?. ? make fit happen! fit me matte + poreless foundation from maybelline new york. beyond matching skin tone... fits skin's texture. blurs pores. controls shine. maybelline's fit me make it happen maybelline new york.
11:21 am
? when families gather, things get messy. ours can help. sc johnson. oh, look... ...another anti-wrinkle cream in no hurry to make anything happen. neutrogena? rapid wrinkle repair works... retinol formula. ...to visibly reduce wrinkles. neutrogena?. you live a portable life. new dannon oikos nonfat yogurt drink fits right in it. with 10 grams of protein... and zero added sugar, zero artificial sweeteners, zero fat. just what you need to help keep you going. new oikos yogurt drink. be unstoppably you.
11:22 am
more than 90 tv credits to her name which began with her role in "boogie nights." >> a dark comedy about a newly single new yorker whose life is turned upside down after coming home to find her man a little less animated than usual i'd say. it's called "my dead boyfriend." >> oh, my gosh, is that john corbett? john corbett is dead. >> i like him when he was alive. >> did he just lay then i have a lot of dreams where he dances and does crazy things. >> he comes back to life. do you like the dark comedy lane? >> i do like dark comedy. >> you said -- i think it's something i read because that's really your sense humor is kind of dark. >> i've gotten so into comedy recently. love comedy. i do love dark comedy. i think it's great to find humor in dark things. >> john corbett, we've had him on before. what's he like to work with? >> he's sort of wild. i'm a "sex in the city" fan.
11:23 am
but still, i love aidan, right. i always just think, oh, there's aidan. >> anyway, bo derek has him. >> i'm not saying, you know, i have a boyfriend but i -- >> did bo dereker show up on the set? >> she did, i met her, she's very cool. >> if i were bo derek, i'd be cool too. >> she's awesome. >> so this is set in the '90s? >> it's set in the '90s, yeah. >> did you have to dig up any old clothes? >> yes, i was born in the '90s. it's a fun period. all these groovy clothes. i got to play in a punk rock band. >> do you play any instruments in real life? >> no, i'm pretty bad musically. i always wanted to be good but i have a tone deaf situation. >> you have to practice. you look like you're comfortable with that. >> you look like you know exactly what you're doing. >> you're righting too. >> i wrote and corrected a movie. it's called "half magic."
11:24 am
>> it's a sex comedy. it's kind of female empowering. well, i just feel like it's sex from a female point of view that i've never seen in a movie before so i think you have a photo of me directing. >> did you like wearing that hat though, did you enjoy that? >> so fun, i loved it. honestly, i felt like i had a baby but it was like a creative baby. >> you actually look like bo daric. >> can we just talk about your boots for one second? >> we can show how they >> those are the cutest. >> those are so cute. >> it's a good winter -- because you know in winter it's hard to feel cute because you have to be warm. >> it's fall. >> sorry, i'm already thinking winter because i hate being cold. >> you and hoda both. >> we're always so happy when you come see us. >> thank you. >> "my dead boyfriend" hits theaters, vod and digital hd tomorrow.
11:25 am
? i don't want to grow up, i'm a toys"r"us kid! ? ? they got - ? trolls! uh, not really the lyric i'm looking for... no, no, no - look! trolls! ? here we are, it's a trollabration ? ? come join us we're the party nation ? ? big hair... ? whoa, this really is a whole store full of awesome! the great big toys"r"us book of awesome is finally here. start shopping now for the season's hottest toys, like lego, shopkins, and trolls! toys"r"us. awwwesome! if your sneezes are a force to be reckoned with... you may be muddling through allergies. try zyrtec? for powerful allergy relief. and zyrtec? is different than claritin?. because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. try zyrtec?. muddle no more?. there's a story behind my skin. my only makeup? true match. only true match has l'or?al's technology to match your skin's unique tone and undertone. 100% guaranteed. it's my skin. my story. my true match.
tv-commercial
11:26 am
to feel this special... you need to eat this special. ? ? i love it ? start your day with crunchy whole-grain flakes... and real strawberries. special k. eat special. feel special. we asked woman to smell two body washes and pick their favorite. i prefer b. b. what was a... bath and bodyworks. and their favorite... suave. really? i am impressed.
11:27 am
helping heroin addicts. and- kids are home from school at berthoud high school today.. why officials closed the school today - at noon and- the curse is broken.. the cubbies are world series champs!
11:28 am
11:29 am
11:30 am
it's thirsty thursday. they've mailed the journey from the plaza to our studio because it's time for our ambush makeovers. >> two lucky ladies given head to toe new looks by our all-star glam team. licari, la, lla, la, la. >> thank you. >> and the fabulous fashionista jill martin. >> i think it was supposed to be cold and rainy but we had a great surprise today, many people to choose from, and we found two pretty terrific makeovers. >> here es a's the first one. her name is lesley from idaho. lesley dyed her hair purple in
11:31 am
month but it's been five months. she's got a big job interview next week. she's here on a 50th birthday trip with three other birthday girls. >> oh, fun. >> let's take a listen to her story. >> i love the reason you have purple hair to begin with. >> it was a dare from my daughter. she told me i wasn't 29 anymore but i pull it off, right? >> she said you couldn't pull it off but now you're ready to say i can pull off my original color, right right? the. >> which is red. >> which is red. so you're ready to be a redhead agn? we're going to take good care of you. >> his favorite color. >> it's already working. all right, lesley's here with her k cousin, and her friends donna, angela and susan. please keep your blindfolds on. here is lesley before. all right, lesley, let's see the new you. nifty and 50. wow. wow. >> i know that jacket. >> wow. >> i love that jacket. i have that jacket.
11:32 am
take a look at your girl. >> fabulous, oh, my god, you look great. >> it's fantastic. >> you look hot. spin right around and look in that mirror. >> oh, my gosh. >> wow. oh, hello. >> she likie what she sees. >> louis, tell us about the hair. >> the hair, the first thing obviously she had really bright purple hair. i don't know how much you on tv but it was really bright purple. i chose to make it a -- keep it in the warm family. a little bit of red. it's like a rosy brown. it's really quite beautiful. >> just adorable. >> the haircut was totally changed. it's all proportions. look how much prettier this shape looks on her face. >> it's like a sculpture. ladies, what do you think of your girl? >> love it. >> stunning.
11:33 am
>> and 29 again. >> yes. >> i love that outfit. >> jill. >> this is an updated version to that jacket that everyone fell in love with. so just that beautiful faux leather with the gorgeous hardware on it. >> yeah, it's washable. unbelievable. >> is that crazy? >> and who's the skirt by? >> necklace is rachel ryienhear. >> our next lady is california. she just ran the marine corps marathon this past sunday to honor her late father. for the last three years, linda took cashre of her dad, a decorated air force veteran. linda rarely dresses up. let's hear her story. >> you're crying already. >> i watch the "today" show every single day and i watch this on thursdays, the ambush makeovers, and i've always -- never thought i'd be in new york for one thing.
11:34 am
would some day get a makeover and i can't believe that a got picked so just -- >> ah, no -- >> and i just became a grandma too so i think this grandma needs a makeover. >> all right, and she is here with her beautiful son steven. keep that blindfold on. let's look at linda one more time before and bring out the new linda. wow. wow. that i steven, i hope you're ready for this. take your blindfold off. very nice. >> very cute. >> linda, you ready to see what he's looking at? >> he sees me in the mornings and it's not good. >> i doubt that. >> turn around, hon. aw. all right, jerry. just dab a little.
11:35 am
beautiful, just beautiful. >> number one, i softened her hair color. number two, gave her great proportion, great layers, and then to change her complexion a little bit. he added a little more brightness. she had perhaps a bit of a yellow undertone that we got rid of. >> the dress -- i'm sorry, we're a little late. >> the dress is new by shoni. >> of course it is. steve be, how's your mom >> beautiful from the inside and out. >> linda come on over. >> lesley. >> yeah, come on. a round of applause for both of them. >> linda, your color. >> if you've got a special occasion, a real good reason or know someone who needs an ambush makeover, we want to hear from you. >> let us know your story. >> all right, it was a night of fun, music and surprises.
11:36 am
11:37 am
if your sneezes are a force to be reckoned with... you may be muddling through allergies. try zyrtec? for powerful allergy relief. and zyrtec? is different than claritin?. because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. . at progresso, we are passionate about our art. and our art is chicken soup. which is why we are now using 100% antibiotic and hormone free white breast meat chicken in all of our chicken soups! behold our greatest opus. and do you know, if you mix up the letters of opus, what it spells? it spells ?soup!? soup is our opus!
11:38 am
stubborn frizz needs smoothing care. garnier whole blends smoothing oil. infused with coconut oil & cocoa butter extracts. protects each strand for naturally-beautiful, shiny hair. garnier whole blends. smoothing haircare with coconut oil & cocoa butter. about tempur-pedic mattresses... is that they contour to your body. you just have to lay back in my tempur-pedic, and it just kind of forms to my body. it comes up to you, like hey, there you are... hey, there you are... ...i'm going to put you to sleep now. can i take a nap now. it's our biggest event of the year ...and a great time to buy a tempur-pedic, with our best prices on all tempur-pedic mattresses. save up to $600, now thru november 29th. get your tempur-pedic.
11:39 am
it's back and bigger than ever! olive garden's never ending pasta bowl, starting at $9.99! endless combinations of your favorite pastas, sauces and toppings. and for the first time ever, chicken alfredo. plus unlimited salad and breadsticks. for a limited time. at olive garden. my advice for looking younger, longer? get your beauty sleep. and use aveeno? absolutely ageless? night cream with active naturals? blackberry complex. younger looking skin can start today. absolutely ageless? from aveeno?. many sleep-aids have pain medicine but zzzquil is different because why would you take a pain medicine when all you want is good sleep?
11:40 am
what a great nice, the historic 50th annual cma awards was the place to be last night. they did not disappoint. >> before the show, the spotlight was on the red carpet and that's where our very own lilliana vasquez caught up with country music's hottest stars.
11:41 am
>> having a love fest here. >> this is history in the making. >> this is country music history. >> oh, sure, i know my cma history. >> is he a country history nerd? >> yes, and he knows every song. >> i think they tell great stories, simple stories of real people. >> what is the key to working with your wife because not everyone can do that. >> yes, ma'am is the key to working with my wife. >> there's one bucket list to meet in this world, it's garth brooks. i don't know if i can make it to the interview without crying, you guys. oh, my gosh, okay. how important is tonight for country music? >> she is a doll. this is awesome. the cmas always about the great et music of the year. this is about the great et music of the past 50 years.
11:42 am
? i beg you don't take my man ? >> wow, see, goose bumps. i heard that you got dragged into some interesting situations last time we were on the show. >> i did. we call it spanky tuesday. nailed it. >> going to be amazing, victory or loss, but i hope i win. >> and the cma award for new artist of the year morris. >> this is so crazy. >> is there a particular line in "humble and kind" that speaks to you the most? >> you're going to make me cry. it's the last line. to help the next one in line. ? help the next one in line ? ? always stay humble and kind ? >> the night is a huge night for country music. who are you most excited to see? >> beyonce.
11:43 am
here. >> if she could let me be a backup dancer. >> i have a feeling if you asked beyonce to be her backup dancer, she would say yes. >> i just want a really long ponytail to swing. is that so much to ask? i'm a simple girl really. ? >> all right, let's talk fashion. this is a huge red carpet. what are you we probably sounds funny with my accent, it's french or something. >> mandel. i was like, that's it. >> you are the third dapper gentleman in a green suit. >> really? >> yes. >> no way. >> traded in the jeans for the green. yes. i dig it. >> this is beautiful, who are you wearing? >> it's mine, i bought it. >> so i'm going to ask you a question, who is most likely to
11:44 am
shots? >> probably us. >> definitely, 100% us. >> most likely to stay on a mechanical bull the long snecht. >> miranda. >> who is most likely to karaoke their own song? >> luke bryan, 100%. >> the cma award for entertainer of year goes to garth brooks. >> this is the greatest night of my life. >> amen, sister. >> with garth brooks, holding his award for entertainer of the year. >> it's going to be hard to get her home. don't you think? >> by the way, i love her pieces at those things. that was awesome. >> she's a kid in a candy store. >> from nashville to the pu ? ? i found a better deal on prescriptions. we found lower co-pays... ...and a free wellness visit.
11:45 am
have you compared plans yet? it's easy at medicare.gov. or you can call 1-800-medicare. medicare open enrollment. you'll never know unless you go. i did it. you can too. ? ? i recommend nature made fish oil. because i trust their quality. they were the first to have a product verified by usp. an independent organization that sets the number one pharmacist recommended vitamin and supplement brand. ? glad forceflex. extra strong to avoid rips and tears.
11:46 am
ahh...still sick, huh? i'll take it from here. i'm good. i just took new mucinex clear and cool. ah! what's this sudden cooooling thing happening? it's got a menthol burst. you can feel it right away. wow, that sort of blind-sided me. and it clears my terrible cold symptoms. ahh! this is awkward. new mucinex fast-max clear & cool. ur worst cold symptoms. start the relief. ditch the misery. let's end this. ? ? special k nourish. apples, almonds, and raspberries. devour something different.
11:47 am
? oh, look... ...another anti-wrinkle cream in no hurry to make anything happen. neutrogena? rapid wrinkle repair works... ek. with the... fastest retinol formula available. it's clinically proven to work on fine lines and... ...even deep wrinkles. "one week? that definitely works!" rapid wrinkle repair. and for dark spots, rapid tone repair. neutrogena?.
11:50 am
food all-star thanksgiving, we are pairing up the biggest names in the food world to bring you the recipes you must have on your thanksgiving table. >> yes, we have a two-fer. today, we are focusing on sweet and savory pumpkin dishes. >> shay shull is making her pumpkin pie. >> new orleans chef john besh is firing up a pumpkin soup with crab. never heard of that. that sounds so good. >> think of -- you can do anything with a pumpkin. it can be butternut squash, acorn squash. treat it just like it's any other squash. if you don't mind adding a little bit of the onion. we have some leek, celery, garlic, a touch of cayenne pepper. the great thing about the soup, it goes straight into the pan just like that. >> okay. >> stir it around. >> stick that in. >> ten minutes. >> look how beautiful that is.
11:51 am
we add the pumpkin. add a little potato. the potato's just going to thicken it. cover with just a little bit of stock. we'll let that come up to boil. once the potatoes are -- once they're nice and socft, it's tie to puree. >> that's all you do? >> go ahead and give it a whirl, sister. >> ooh, i like it. >> yeah. >> perfect. >> okay. >> we're going to season with a little bit of salt and pepper. a little bit of cream. i like adding at home. a lot of times little bit of sherry. if you have crab, use it. >> what kind of crab? >> jumbo louisiana blue crab meat with some chives and it is phenomenal. >> do you want to try it? >> i do, i do. >> you do it. >> what's in it you can't have? >> and the verdict it? >> oh, my gosh, heaven. >> josh besh is the best. >> is it time to go to shay
11:52 am
strusle topped pumpkin pie. we'll have pumpkin, add sweetened condensed milk. >> hoda is in, decadent. >> sugar, pumpkin pie spice and some eggs. whip all that up with an electric mixer. so good. pour it into the pie crust. bake it at high heat. >> you are so good. >> we'll pour it, bake it, then bring it out -- i mean, you know. no judgments. >> oh, lucy. >> okay, kathie lee. brown sugar, cinnamon, add p pecans. >> that looks yummy. >> we'll mix it. it's going to look like that. >> stop it, shay. >> we'll bake it 15 minutes more after it's all in there.
11:53 am
>> pumpkin pie. >> i'm trying to serve you. you're our guest. besh and shay shull. >> shay this is incredible. >> amazing. >> for all these thanksgiving recipe, go toed today.com. thank you, awesome.
11:55 am
11:56 am
is it okay or not okay for mothers and daughters to dress alike? >> celebrities like beyonce and her daughter blue ivy, kim kardashian and her daughter north and katie holmes and her daughter suri have all done the matchy-matchy. >> okay so here's what we had to say about it. >> of course it is, just don't do it when they're teenagers or you'll hear about it. >> i say it is definitely okay. #adorable.
11:57 am
>> yeah, sometimes. >> you are adorable. >> you are. >> you're not that adorable but you are adorable. >> just when you think you've had enough of us. >> and you know you have. >> there's more or sirius xm 108. >> every monday and wednesday at 2:00. >> kevin james is here with his funny co-star andy garcia. >> and marcia marcia catch up with maureen mccormick. have a great thirsty thursday, everybody. see you tomorrow for try day friday. after that, it's sipping
11:58 am
12:00 pm

111 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on