Skip to main content

tv   With All Due Respect  HLN  December 20, 2009 10:00pm-11:00pm EST

10:00 pm
everybody loves a good train wreck. >> people need to see tiger. >> have you talked to him yet post scandal? >> let's talk to him. >> i think he's a breath of fresh air. >> he will get his on michael j. >> it was a blessing for me, my
10:01 pm
dui. welcome to "with all due respect." i'm robin meade. today we're taking a raw unfiltered look at what had you talked in 2009. i'm talking, let's just let it alling hang out. let me introduce you to some fellas whose middle name should be frank. welcome the closer dennis eckersley. his name is raising royalty. please welcome nascar legend, kyle eddie. >> house it going? hey. thank you. >> welcome. and there's only one, sir
10:02 pm
charles barclay. now, lord only knows what is going to happen in 2010 but we do know what had you talking in 2009. so, charles go ahead, what do you think is the biggest story of 2009? >> the biggest story of the world right now is probably tiger woods. >> it is? >> it's a very difficult situation, very personal to me but it's the biggest story of 2009. >> before we speak out more about 2009 let's bring out an outspoken man himself please welcome spike lee.
10:03 pm
from politics to pop culture, 2009 was definitely the year of the scandal. >> the biggest scandal of 2009 was -- >> the biggest scandal of 2009 was -- >> tiger scandal. >> tiger woods. >> mark sanford. >> david letterman. >> rihanna and chris brown. >> definitely the aids scandal. >> bernie maid. >> tiger woods infill dell tea. >> can't these men keep their peen newses in their pants? >> it seems like every other sound bite there was about tiger woods. charles, you guys go way back and you've been friends for a long time. have you talked to him yet post scandal? >> i have not. that's probably been the most frustrating for me and all of his friends. nobody has -- >> michael. >> we're his friends and i want
10:04 pm
him to know that he has friends. we love him. weapon don't judge him. that's his personal business. and it's funny, it's not our business. i know people make money on you but i feel bad -- i feel bad for his wife. i've got to say that. >> so you're frustrated because you you can't get access to him to help him? >> well the one thing about fame and all of us are famous, you've got to have people around you that you can trust. fame has gotten a little bit different now. you know, there's so many people around you trying to make money. you know you've got to be careful. like i use -- like let's take michael phelps. i'm not here -- i don't judge him for smoking pot, but one of his friends, friends took a picture of him. we all know that if you can't smoke pot with your own friends then they are not good friends.
10:05 pm
>> i can't use the bathroom and use a urinal -- >> the tiger thing that we have that happened right now, do you think it would have happened to nicholas or palmer in '67, '68? >> no. >> so the media is to blame for it? >> the media is so relentless. and a monster has to be fed. they will do anything that they can to keep it fed. >> what was your initial reaction to hearing about tiger zifs shocked. and the stories are coming in
10:06 pm
and i hope that charms that michael jordan, these guys get to him because we are just talking about this in the back room. and michael can't get to him and other people are making bad moves. >> i think when we have these fires, that i'll call them, you need to talk to somebody else who is famous that have been through things in their life. i don't think you can talk about it to your family and friends because your family and friends they are not family. you need to be the talk. >> well -- >> he wanted this obviously to be a private affair. friends can't even get to him. but when it came to david letterman, he took his scandal
10:07 pm
to millions of viewers. >> i've had sex with women who work for me on this show. >> everybody love as great train wreck. if tiger had confronted it we would be in a different place. some of it is self-induced. it's the handlers -- you have to go back and you have to take advice, like charles said, i think. you have to take advice from someone that has been there or someone that understands the pressure that you're feeling at this time. his handlers don't understand the pressure. his handlers don't -- >> and stop worrying about
10:08 pm
losing more money. >> it's all about the buck. he's put himself in a position with those handlers. he needs to call his friends, just as you say, charles. he needs to call his friends and say, what do i do next? how do i handle this? how do i confront this head on? >> you feel duped buy tiger woods? >> i do. i take offense. >> people need to see tiger. >> yes. when you apologize, you can't do it -- >> we have a beautiful lady here. what do you want to ask?
10:09 pm
>> sir charles. >> do it, mom. >> i want to know i know you had a little problem with the law this year. are you still consider running for public office? i'm an alabama native and i'd love to see you run for governor. >> well thank you. well you know it's interesting, i don't look at my dui as a problem. you know, it was a blessing for me. because i didn't kill nobody and i didn't kill myself. i got great love for the police therefore, it was one of their better nights. >> what do you mean? >> well. >> what do you mean in they pulled you over because of suspicion of dchlts ui. >> and i was. i already did the mug shot i already did the fingerprint. police have been treating me
10:10 pm
fantastic all night and i say, sexually suggestive stuff that i thought i should be doing instead of -- after waiting on my ride and i says, whoo, this is not how i had planned on spending my night. i had planned on spending my night like this. and i was under arrest with total treatment was b.s. and i was rather disappointed and it made me really made. that's not what happened. that stuff happened outside. >> you were joking being the charms? >> yes. i know to never joke with them again. up next, kanye's rant, and leaf vie johnson be quiet already. that's what we're talking about and that's what we'll be talking about next.
10:11 pm
parents f. your kids are around, you might want to ask them to leave the room. >> of all of the disrespect that you have shown to me, that's the biggest one.
10:12 pm
10:13 pm
10:14 pm
hi, welcome back to "all due respect." i'm robin meade. today we're looking back at the good, the bad, and the ugly of 2009. everywhere you look, people have no respect. >> what happened to that in.
10:15 pm
>> the best example is certainly the woman from mexico with the upon knee tail takedown. >> i've never seen anything like that. >> definitely kanye west for what he said to taylor swift. >> what are you doing, man? >> he didn't mean to hug and a prescription. >> i would say lebron james at the playoff game. >> williams, it's sad. >> people, you need to calm down. >> you know a person who needed to calm down a little bit was tennis champion, serena williams. she seemed to become unhinged for the first time in her career. john mack kin row did something similar. >> he did it constantly, constantly. serena has not. she has not done it constantly.
10:16 pm
this is out of character. and that's why they made such a big deal. and she got very personal. i think it's a lack of respect for the judge at that point in time. therefore, it's to keep control of the game and you've got to respect the rules of the game. >> oh, wait a minute. >> you don't have to respect the rules of the game? >> yeah, but how many times have you been kicked out of the game. i'm just saying, the lady was making bad calls and she got heated. >> she said something about stuffing the ball down her face,
10:17 pm
i think. >> because she's a woman she shouldn't do that? she's a great athlete. >> she should be able to event. i'm not saying that she shouldn't be able to vent. >> i don't think she should be able to threaten her -- >> when you step over that line, when you start pushing a guy, then that's it. >> i guarantee you that she is humiliated by this whole thing. >> but in the heat of the moment -- >> i've done some silly things. i'm sure you have -- >> charles, come on, baby. speak up for serena. >> when was the first melt down you had? >> i jumped across the table and chased to the roof. at that particular moment -- >> you want to talk about no respect, what in the world -- a
10:18 pm
lot of people were talking about the mtv awards. you don't jump up on stage and steal her moment. watch. >> i'm really happy for you. i'm going to let you finish. but bee downsay has one of the best videos of all times. >> what is he thinking? >> he's a jerk. >> it's the thing to kind of voice his disapproval. usually it's about him not winning. >> what was it? american what? >> vma. wait a minute. vma. >> good point. >> who cares? >> being rude is one thing but no respect fon the floor of congress. this has become sort of a lexicon now. you lie.
10:19 pm
>> the reforms i'm proposing would not apply to those who are here illegal. >> you lie. >> look at nancy's face. >> of all of the examples of disrespect that we've shown, to me that's the biggest one because you're talking about music, sports -- >> audience? >> we're talking about the united states of america and stuff that directly impacts their lives. >> sitting here staring at kyle's upon knee tail, it reminds me of another case of no respect and i want to show you guy this is tape. okay? the elbow and upon knee tail and all-out girl soccer game two pieces of tape here.
10:20 pm
girls behaving badly. all right. spike, they got over 20 million hits on youtube combined with this piece of tape. are we fascinated or what is the deal? why are we so enthralled with this? >> because america is the most violent country. we have more shootings killings more guns, than any other country ever. >> i thought those girls got a break. if a guy did that, the sports fans would go crazy. >> i know there are probably kids watching this at this hour. so there is one more clip of a story we'd like to show you. parents, if kids are around you might want to ask them to leave the room because here it goes.
10:21 pm
>> that's wrong, man. that's wrong. >> spike, thank you so much. you've been wonderful. hasn't he? >> we'll be back right after this.
10:22 pm
10:23 pm
10:24 pm
welcome back to "with all due respect." let's bring in our next guest. you know him as the transformer. anthony anderson.
10:25 pm
this past year, whether they looked for fame or fame found them celebrities were interfaced like never before. the biggest celebrity on the planet without a doubt. >> le braun james. >> sarah palin. >> paris hilton. paris f. you're out there, i want to marry you. >> leave vie johnston is a tool. >> barack obama. >> he's the biggest thing in media right now. >> he sneeze's on every channel that you flip to. >> anthony in your opinion, did barack obama become the president because of his star power?
10:26 pm
>> he became a president because he's a great politician but i believe his policies and work speaks for itself. >> anthony -- >> let's have a recall for real. >> that was kind of a diplomatic answer. >> now that i've got that out of the way. hell yeah, barack obama. he's a rock star. let's be real. he's a rock star. >> i like this anthony better. >> only a few people can go around the room and you can mention them by one name. you say barack and everybody knows who you are talking about. >> so sarah palin -- >> i think she's a breath of fresh air. do i want her to be president? no. i give her credit for not only ringing levi john stone's throat. >> he's not her almost
10:27 pm
son-in-law. he's her daughter's baby's daddy. and i don't know when you become somebody's daddy you become somebody famous. >> when you knock a girl up in the south -- the worst thing that could happen when i was going to high school is you get a girl pregnant. this man has turned it into a paycheck. >> levi was paid $25,000 to undress in "playgirl". >> does anybody want to see the fat charles barclay naked? >> take it off. >> i've got to cut it off right there. two words. next.
10:28 pm
>> nobody is better equipped to walk my dog than michael vick because everybody is watching him.
10:29 pm
10:30 pm
10:31 pm
10:32 pm
10:33 pm
10:34 pm
yeah. >> i like nina and -- take it all off except the "the housewives of atlanta." >> what about kim? >> she's the blond one with the wig. >> i like orange county. i blame it on my wife. the next thing you know, i'm watching this stuff. >> sure, dennis. >> the thing about it is it really reality tv because it's really scripted. it's like we're watching this play act. it's not really reality tv. meanwhile, i have to admit that i've watched a few. let's talk about the white house party crashers. is this worthy of a congressional hearing, the fact that they crashed the party? they said they didn't. they said that they were invited.
10:35 pm
charles? >> well, i don't trust congress as far as i can throw them. they waste their time on baseball and now bcs this to me clearly is something serious because somebody could have hurt the president but these two people they are really just trying to be a somebody. you know and. >> and what is your name? >> joe hubbard. >> who do you want to ask your question to? >> charles right there. i want to know if you think octomom deserved all of the attention that she got. >> you know, that's a perfect
10:36 pm
example of like are you kidding me? are you kidding me? but, see, these people who made money, these entertainment tonight and insider and shows like that and these magazines, they forced -- like when robin asked that question, we don't want that crap. like kyle said, is the kid all right? yes. don't talk about octomom. and that other couple jon and kate. >> oh, yeah. >> first of all if you follow jon and kate -- first of all, i want you to know i have no disrespect for any dislike for any of these people. but why would you want to watch a show about a man and a woman and their eight kids? >> don't you watch reality shows? >> i want them to bring me a show called pookie and shameka. >> they've got that.
10:37 pm
>> that's the show i want to see. >> i thought a saw a promo for lil wayne's and his girls. >> and tiny. >> yeah. >> see you know all of the names. >> anthony, we want to thank you so much for being here. you've been awesome. thank you so much. we'll be right back.
10:38 pm
10:39 pm
10:40 pm
10:41 pm
welcome back to "with all due respect." one show that has everybody talking right now is modern family eric stonestreet. watch. >> cam don't be mad. >> oh. cam. >> i've known i've wanted to be a clown since i found out clowns were just people with makeup. >> would you please welcome eric stonestreet. before we get started, i love this story about eric and that
10:42 pm
s. he actually tried out two times for -- to be a clown for wrigley brothers and they said no. >> they said no both times. >> 2009 was littered with comebacks. some they were good. and others, i think the jury is still out. >> why can't people just stay gone? >> i don't care if he's the most amazing football player in the world. he hurt dog sdpls chris brown is an idiot. >> to beat up the most beautiful woman in the world. >> you cannot hit a girl. >> he's a poster boy for domestic violence. >> whitney houston is an inspiration. >> i'm glad she's back. >> are you retiring? not retiring? coming back or not coming back? make up your mind and let's get on with it. >> all right. let's start with eric. thank you for being here, by the way. everybody is talking about the brett farve comeback.
10:43 pm
why are we so fascinated with that comeback? >> because he's having a killer season, first and foremost. i think because he's 40 -- >> old in the world of sports. >> old in the world of sports. >> and a little more interesting i think if he was a 23-year-old athlete in his prime people wouldn't be talking about it as much. but brett farve is arguably the toughest best quarterback to ever play the game and he's having an incredible season. when the green bay packers decided it was time to bring in aaron rogers and kind of push him out a little bit. so -- >> do you think people want to see him fail dennis or is that just human nature? >> i would be the first -- i try to say that i'm fair and objective but sometimes, you know, for him for instance he's so overexposed -- anybody that gets so overexposed after a while it's like, what is it with this guy? >> is it because he's really great? >> it's not his fault. i'm just saying he's
10:44 pm
overexposed. that's not a good example. i see somebody and i think i've had enough of this guy and he needs to come back down to earth. >> he loved the game so much. i like baseball you know i think green bay had to make a decision to move forward for them in the next eight or ten year they had to move forward. he stood in the way but he wasn't ready to give up. >> like in your case, charles, your body told thank you was time to give up. >> well, yeah. your body always tells you. >> every jock gets to a poimpbt where they just can't play. brett farve is arguably one of the most unique guys ever. i can't remember a jock in history that was able to -- he's able to mask a season. usually people want him to fail
10:45 pm
and just people in green bay. >> help me here so the audience p doesn't think that i was putting you down. tell us how your game ended basically. >> charles' game has never ended. >> thank you. well when a r guys who suck are kicking your. [ bleep ] it's time to go. if you tuk any guy who played the game or you start playing against guys that you know can't play dead and they are beating you like a drum, it's time to go home. >> dennis when did you know it was time to leave for you? >> you're talking about beating you at a drum, at the end it was tough. i kept saying, these people are looking at me like, get out of this game. that's why the last few years were tough. but, you know, i feel like i'm jealous of guys that can keep ongoing like musicians or you who can keep going on forever. pli act is done. it's really sad. it take as while to get over it. >> i bet it is hard.
10:46 pm
>> i promised to retire two years sooner but like dennis said is, you suck and when i was younger, i used to always say why are these guys hanging on? but then you say to yourself, okay, i'm going to get this summer and work real hard and i'm going to spring training and you say i want to have one more shot at the light. i want to have one more good season and there's light at the end of the tunnel and in the middle of the season you realize it was a train. yeah. >> a comeback that had nothing to do with age here, michael vick. charles, i mean should the disgraced sports stars like that be allowed to come back in the game? >> sure. everybody deserves -- that's the one thing i don't agree about the tiger woods and everybody wants to act like they are perfect. nobody ever made any mistakes. it drives me crazy. >> i think the deal with vick is a little bit different and my point is this.
10:47 pm
he served his debt to society. >> yes. >> he went through the system and served his debt. does he deserve a second chance? you bet your bottom dollar. >> but i'm really pulling for michael vick. because you ha hear people say you don't deserve a second chance. so are you saying that anybody who goes to prison does not deserve a second chance? i want to be specific. >> i always felt like athletes because they are you know in the spotlight or in a specific genre of life that they can't be punished more than the average person. and i think that's what happens with athletes when they make a mistake like we all do. they pay their debt to society and why should they be punished because they play a sport on top of all of that? >> he also said that he wanted to get a new dog. i know that you have a dog that you love. i have a picture. >> there is he right there. >> would you even let him walk that dog? >> here's why i would let
10:48 pm
michael vick walk my dog. nobody is better equipped to walk my dog than michael vick because everyone is watching him. >> exactly. >> everyone has their eyes on him and my dog will be well taken care of. for me and michael vick will have a conversation. >> what about chris brown? everybody is -- >> robin -- >> you want to get in here? >> you can never hit a woman. >> that's right. we said that. >> all that you say about -- >> does he deserve a second chance? let me ask that. he's got a new album out and the critics are down on it and it's not the hottest thing on the radio. >> it's what these people say when -- that's what matters. anything can be critically acclaimed and fall straight through the cracks. what i'm going to say is everybody deserves a second chance. i think you say your prayers at night, you thank god for all of
10:49 pm
the blessings you've had but everybody deserves ak second chance. it's what youbrown's road should be a long long road to get a second chance. >> kyle said it earlier when we were watching the jersey thing. people said, what do you think of the rihanna and chris brown thing? i says, you can never hit a woman. then they're like what else? there's nothing else. you can never hit a woman. >> that's what i said he should learn to pick on somebody his own gender. >> eric stonestreet with that thank you so much for being here. great job. >> thank you. >> we'll be right back.
10:50 pm
10:51 pm
10:52 pm
10:53 pm
welcome back to "with all due respect." before we flip the calendar year to 2010, let's rewind on '09. we have the man from "30 rock" here in the audience. you have a question. >> my question, as a big tv watcher is other than "30 rook, rock," what is your favorite tv show of 2009? >> my favorite show is "the mentalist" and i watch "house" religiously. >> this is a corny one, but the "brothers & sisters" i watch on sunday night. that's the only drama -- >> first of all the only way
10:54 pm
you are watches "brothers & sisters" is if you started out watching "desperate housewives." >> what's your name? >> kristin. >> what do you want to ask in. >> i want to ask dennis, who inspired you the most this past year? >> whoa. >> that was a nice question. >> you know something? i have to say, once again, michael jackson. you know, i want to be a better person. >> michael jackson is my favorite entertainer in my life. when he died i cried. then when i saw the movie it was like, okay i'm all right now. >> what's your name in. >> my name's jen. >> hi. >> hi. charles, in 2010 are you going to get a twitter account and start tweeting? >> baby if you watch the show and clearly you have anybody who uses twitter is a loser. >> i tweeted six times during this show what you've said. >> who was your athlete of the
10:55 pm
year? i know you didn't tweet it but who was your athlete of the year? >> that's a good question. you know who i was really happy for? alex rodriguez. yeah. >> a-rod, huh? >> mine's jimmy johnson. in our sport, it's 60-some odd years old. no one has ever won the championship four consecutive times. against guys like tony stewart and jeff gordon the quality of competition we have that's a phenomenal fete and phenomenal record. >> let's do rapid-fire questions here. there were a lot of, like, good dudes and bad dudes. who was your best dude? dennis go ahead. >> men and women of the armed forces. my son just finished his basic training. i salute my son and everybody else in the armed forces. congratulations. >> that's right. charles? best dude? >> best dude. you know, i'm in a mood. i'm going to say michael jackson. god rest his soul.
10:56 pm
>> kyle? >> i would have to agree with dennis on that one. when you look at -- we're so blessed in motor sports that so many military participants come out, do the national anthem, there's so much that comes to the race. so many that come to the race. you meet so many young kids that are defending what we're able to sit up here and talk about. >> and their families sacrifice so much too. that's all the time we have. what a beautiful way to end it. thank you for joining us on "with all due respect," a special thanks to eric stonestreet, anthony anderson and spike lee for stopping by. i'm robin meade have a safe and happy new year. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com
10:57 pm
10:58 pm
10:59 pm

146 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on