Skip to main content

tv   Hannity  FOX News  May 27, 2013 6:00pm-7:01pm PDT

6:00 pm
that becomes something more. >> again, thanks for watching us tonight. i'm bill o'reilly. please always remember that the spin stops right here. we are definitely looking out for you. >> welcome to the special edition of cozy has been. he "hannity". with us tonight, he spent 7 years and congress and served under president bush. tonight for the entire how he will be here and joining me is special studio audience is former secretary of defense, donald rumsfeld. how are you? >> excellent. thank you. >> i think it would have been better as rummy's rules. right? >> no. >> one of the thing i got out of
6:01 pm
the book is it kind of described my life. you have to be willing to start at the bottom of. i was a waiter, bartender, a paper boy, painted, hung paper, house roofing and framing. >> you didn't clean rugs like i did. >> no, i didn't. >> or mop a dress room in down. >> all the kids today want to start at the top. >> i don't know. but you learn a lot doing all those things and you learn from people you work with. >> you get into a position like you had where you are managing an entire department in government, it probably helps that when you see the people that are working hard everyday and starting out, but you remember where you came from. >> indeed, you have to. and i did. it was one of the wonderful things about it because you have had some of the similar experiences. of course, i also served in the navy so when i was at the pentagon, my father was in the navy before me. so i had that background as well, which is a help. >> but the reason you say start at the bottom, it gives you
6:02 pm
humility. except some people rise through the ranks of television talk show hosts, i can name names, they aren't humble in their real life at all. [laughter] >> it's not an autobiography here, okay? but it really, humility is a great trait to have in a leader and starting at the bottom gets you there. >> it does. and having done what you are asking others to do helps. >> all right. one of the things i was so glad to say -- i'm saying rummy's rules, i'm shortening the title, i hate meetings. i find most meetings are long, en necessary, a waste of time, and you say if you even need to have one how to run a meeting. >> the first question is to decide whether you really node one. meetings can be really enormously important because you can get everyone in the room working off the same set of facts and communicate to everyone at the same time. but so many people find meetings wasteful at times. they start later, they go too
6:03 pm
long, people repeat things and aren't prepared. you don't have a good agenda, they don't summarize at the end. a good meeting is a good meeting and it's important but there are so many that aren't. >> and there is so much technology. gotomeeting.com, and facebook, you can collaborate and you didn't have to make the long trip. another rule you have is picking the right people. there are insecure people who never want to pick strong personalities around them. one reason i would argue for any people around me. some of even smarter than me. >> most? >> thanks a lot. all right. that's the hour. thanks for joining us. >> no, a's hire bs and bs hire cs. one of the most important thing you can do is when you are coming up find as and try to be around them and the people that are around them and learn from them because they sparkle.
6:04 pm
>> they given you ideas. >> exactly. >> and if the program is "hannity." i get get for ideas whether i had it or not. and one of the things that you -- people don't think strategically. that's one of your rules. be strategic in the things you are doing. why are people more strategic in the way they go about their lives? >> first of all, it's hard. to be strategic you have to find out what is more important than i think else and say that's where we are going. think of ronald reagan when he was asked his policy on the soviet union, and he said we win, they lose. >> that's strategic. >> my goodness, is it strategic. everyone in the organization then knew that's where they were going. and indeed, that is where he took them.
6:05 pm
god bless him for it. >> in many ways, and maybe this is -- we will get into benghazi and we will get into libya and the irs in a few minutes with you, but i think when the president refuses to acknowledge a truth that libya was a terror attack and tell the american people the truth or fort hood, the official government line to this day, fort hood, killing of innocent people, was an instance of not terror, but workplace violence. strategically if you make the decision you can't acknowledge the truth, you will never solve the problem. >> that's true. we are suffering from that today. there's no question about it. people are so afraid of being seen as against a religion that they are unwilling to talk about radical islamism and the fact that there are people in this world, not a majority, not a majority of muslims, a small minority that are determined to
6:06 pm
wipe out -- >> it's a pretty large majority. a pretty large percentage. >> percentage, but not a majority. >> not a majority. no, it's definitely not a majority. >> no. >> one of the things -- this is all rummy's rules , by the way, and we will get to monica crowley's rules in a minute. she's in the audience. you have to plan for an uncertainty. in the news business you have to be ready for something is going to break that i didn't plan for. life is like that. and in politics, being in the defense secretary position, you are always planning for the unknowns, right? >> indeed. there are unknown unknowns, things that occur and they occur and you have to deal with them and cope with them. i have a chapter on crisis management in the book, and it's not something that is easy. it's hard. but it's terribly important to get the facts out and put the
6:07 pm
facts out so that people know the truth about something. and if people grab arguments of convenience or put out a narrative that doesn't prove out over time, they are hurt. they are badly damaged. >> in the next chapter after planning for uncertainty is unknown of unknowns. and it's true. you know, life -- and this is -- one of the things that bothers me is i think it's very hard for good people to wrap their arms around one simple truth. and that's that evil exists in this world. we saw that in boston, we saw that with this guy that kept these young women hostage and raped them for ten years. we see it with radical islam, we saw it with naziism and communism and terrorism. and why can't people acknowledge that simple truth? >> the only way you will prevail over an enemy, and that is an enemy, radical islamism. call is what it is, label it,
6:08 pm
and be willing to engage i had logically against those thoughts. people think of the war on terror as more of korea or world war ii but it's more like the cold war. it won't be won with bullets alone. it will mean engaging their space and reduce the people of people that are recruited. reduce the number of dollars going into this training people to go out and kill innocent men, women and children. that's what has to be done but we aren't even in that battle we aren't even occupying that space. >> we will continue with donald rumsfeld. how you feet the press. your press conferences were classic entertainment i think there is a lesson to be learned here. and also the case for capitalism you make inside the oval office, and we will tackle benghazi, the irs and of the current scandals as we continue with donald
6:09 pm
rumsfeld, plus or panel and special guest with join the discussion as this edition of "hannity" continues. oral-b -- the brush originally created by a dentist. trust the brand more dentists and hygienists use. oral-b. what makes a sleep number store different?
6:10 pm
what makes a sleep number you walk into a conventional mattress store, it's really not about you. they say, "well, if you wanted a firm bed you can lie on one of those. if you want a soft bed you can lie on one of those." we provide the exact individualization that your body needs. the sleep number memorial day sale. not just ordinary beds on sale, but the bed that can change your life on sale. the sleep number bed. this is your body there. you can see a little more pressure in the hips.
6:11 pm
take it up one notch. oh gosh, yes. oh, yeah! they had no idea that when they came to a sleep number store, we were going to diagnose their problems and help them sleep better. and right now save on the closeout of our classic special edition bed set. just $1299-a savings of $600-and discover the only memory foam bed with dual air adjustability. plus 36 month financing on all beds through memorial day only. once you experience it there's no going back. wow. don't invest in a mattress until you you find your sleep number setting. only at the sleep number store. sleep number, comfort individualized. >> announcer: introducing the redesigned jitterbug plus, our smartest, easiest cell phone yet. >> when i heard about the jitterbug, i went online and ordered one for my mom. now my mom has a cell phone she actually enjoys using. >> announcer: the jitterbug plus is easy to use, easy to see, and it has the longest-lasting battery on the market. for a limited time, get a free car charger with purchase. to locate a store near you,
6:12 pm
visit greatcall.com. greatcall-- people you can count on. ♪ [ male announcer ] a car that can actually see like a human using stereoscopic cameras ♪ and even stop itself if it has to. ♪ the technology may be hard to imagine... but why you would want it is not. the 2014 e-class, see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers through mercedes-benz financial services. >> the message is there are no known, there are no unknowns. things we know that we don't know. things that we now know we don't know. the known unknowns. >> that there are also unknown
6:13 pm
unknowns. the things that we do not yet know that we do not know. there are things that we do not know we don't know. now what does that tell us? that is really only the known no ones, and the known unknowns. [laughter] >> all right. what did you say? you can't believe you said that. >> i can't believe i said all of those. >> those were the eye i don't knowic press conferences by defense secretary donald rumsfeld. some of the known and unknown knowns. that made it into his book. can you explain this known, unknowns? >> well, it happened because i was chairman of the ballistic missile thrill commission and there were four or five generals and four or five ph.d.s, all of them very smart, and in that discussion came that thought. that there are things we -- that no one knowns, things we know we
6:14 pm
don't know, but there are also unknown unknowns. the things we don't know we don't know and and the ones that get you. >> but that makes perfect sense the way you explained it. but in that moment with the liberal press, they had no clue what you were saying. >> they didn't, and they made a lot of fun of it, and they were wrong. [laughter] >> well, that raises a whole chapter of your rules, meeting the press. there were two people that i know in the world of politics that gave the most entertaining press conferences, you and giuliani. you can add chris christie to the list. but what was the relationship you had with the press, somewhat adversarial, that others don't have the stomach for? >> i don't know. i just enjoyed them. >> you did? >> sure. and my wife told me this one time. she said, don, they have their job and you have your job.
6:15 pm
and that's the fact. so if you deal with them openly and honestly and often they would state a question in a way that would try to take you down a certain path, and i found out that you can proceed perfectly logically from an inaccurate premise to an inaccurate conclusion and therefore you have to untangle the premises that are not accurate and restate their question. >> almost help them out. >> i would help them out. and i would try to restate the question in a way that the answer made sense rather than?u going into a cul-de-sac. >> you said it was liberating to say you don't know? >> it is. once you decide you are comfortable saying you don't know, you will use it often. >> what about the bureaucracy and battling the bureaucracy? that was a big part of your career. >> i think it was franklin roosevelt who said trying to manage the department of the
6:16 pm
navy is like fighting with a large pillow all day long, and at the end you are exhausted and the pillow hasn't changed one bit. and abraham lincoln said something similar. if i were to try to attend all the details of the army, it would be like trying to empty the teaspoon. >> what coming up, we will get to current events and benghazi and some of the other current administration scandals. we will be joined by our panel and special guest as "hannity" continues. glad you are with us. ♪ i wanna scream out loud ♪ boy, but i just bite my tongue ♪ ♪ this one's for the girls messin' with boys ♪ ♪ like he's the melody and she's background noise ♪ [ volume decreases ] thanks, mom! have fun! you too. ♪
6:17 pm
♪ oh, i can barely move a muscle. i don't have any muscles left. [ sighs ] [ chuckles ] you should really clean your ceiling fan. are you kidding me? you're gonna just throw away the last hour? no, it's only 15 calories. [ male announcer ] with reddi wip, fruit never sounded more delicious. at least i can die happy. [ male announcer ] and hard work won't have to go to waste. mmm. [ male announcer ] with 15 calories per serving and real cream, the sound of reddi wip is the sound of joy. [ male announcer ] with 15 calories per serving and real cream, the blisters were oozing, and painful to touch. i woke up to a blistering on my shoulder. i spent 23 years as a deputy united states marshal and i've been pretty well banged up but the worst pain i've experienced was when i had shingles. when i went to the clinic, the nurse told me that it was a result of having had chickenpox.
6:18 pm
i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
6:19 pm
6:20 pm
6:21 pm
>> the best assessment we have today is it was not a preplanned, premeditated attack. what happened initially, it was a spontaneous reaction to what had just transpired in cairo as a consequence of the video. our current assessment is that what happened in benghazi was, in fact, initially a spontaneous reaction to what had just transpired hours beforeqjwuk in cairo. almost a copycat o"2,+t the demonstrations against our facility in cairo, which werevvz prompted, of course, by the video. >> what our assessment is at the presentj@upq is in fact it began spontaneously in benghazi as a reaction to what had transpired some hours earlier in cairo. >> that was susan rice appearing on the sunday talk shows after the september 11th attack on#>e con benghazi, libya. well, it wasn't spontaneous, it wasn't related to a youtubeqxáz video. this was the twelfth that
6:22 pm
6:23 pm
6:24 pm
6:25 pm
hire. without. >> one thing you didn't mention is the brits pulled out because of the threat. >> that's correct. >> and these people on the ground in benghazi requests additional security. and it was wasn't provided. first responsibility is if you are going to put people in place, you provide security for them. and if not you remove them. you don't have to keep them there. you can do something else like the britts did. i think the narrative that they -- that evolved, what happened on the ground didn't fit the narrative. and the narrative overcame the facts. >> why do i think if this was you and george w. bush, that leading into an election, it would have been a lot different coverage? >> well, i'm inclined to agree
6:26 pm
with you. but, in fact, i do agree with you. [laughter] >> it is the truth. that's the way it works in our country. >> but the president was told about 4:00 in the afternoon, and from what we've heard from leon panetta and secretary clinton, he wasn't curious, he didn't ask or request an update, our consulate is under attack, our ambassador is under fire. apparently went to bed, got up the next morning and went campaigning. >> he did. i think he went to las vegas or someplace like that. and it is a shame. we've lost four public servants, fine people. but what's really troubling beyond that is the fact that this pretense that it was something other than what it was. if we aren't willing to face up and say there are people in the world that are out to kill
6:27 pm
innocent men, women and children, and to end the concept of a nation state, and to impose that, i don't know how you can compete against it if you are not willing to identify it. if you are calling it workplace violence what take place at fort hood. >> often the president, he blames kiosks and atm machines and tsunamis and talk shows -- >> and bush. >> and what do you think of him? he's analyzed your administration or the bush administration they arely, blames you all the time. what do you think of his administration? >> what i think is this. i think one of the most dangerous things our country can do is to indicate that we are weak and in decline and we are managing our economy, kind of modeling it after europe, a failed models. signals are going out that anyone look at the united states knows you cannot continue to incur these deficits and the
6:28 pm
debts that we are piling up. the sequestration says we around going to increase the defense department, going to cut tens -- well, close to a trillion out of the next ten years out of the defense budget. what does that signal to the world? it is that america is not going to play the role it can play. it's not going to be the model it has been. it's not going to be able to contribute to a more peaceful and stable world. we create a vacuum. and what fills that vacuum? what fills that vacuum, when the united states withdraws and goes into decline is people with values totally different from ours. >> well said. all right. when we come back, you see this beautiful audience? >> fantastic. >> yeah. when we come back, they take over the show. more with our panel and donald rumsfeld after the break. >> leave from america's
6:29 pm
headquarters, sen. john mccain slipping into syria. and others met in france to discuss syrian's peace efforts. the two sides planning on getting the assad regime and rebel leaders to meet in geneva next month. more than 70,000 people are dead now from a war that started more than two years ago. >> america's midsection is still getting hit hard by powerful spring storms. the national weather service is sending flash flood warnings tonight. locks along the mississippi river closing at banks are overflowing. forecasters warning we could see more tornadoes in parts of nebraska, iowa. we will return to "hannity" after a short break. rify and lock. command is locked.
6:30 pm
five seconds. three, two, one. standing by for capture. the most innovative software on the planet... dragon is captured. is connecting today's leading companies to places beyond it. siemens. answers. i did? when visa signature asked everybody what upgraded experiences really mattered... you suggested luxury car service instd of "strength training with patrick willis." come on todd! flap them chicken wings. [ grunts ] well, i travel a lot and umm... [ male announcer ] at visa signature, every upgradedxperience comes from listening to our cardholders. visa signature. your idea of what a card should be. ♪ the joint is jumpin' ♪ it's really jumpin' ♪ ♪ come in, cats ♪ and check your hats ♪ i mean this joint ijumpin' [ male announcer ] osteo bi-flex helps revitalize your joints
6:31 pm
to keep 'em jumpin'.° like calcium supplements can help your bones osteo bi-fle n help your joints. ♪ osteo bi-flex... the best stuff in the joint. now in joint and muscle formula for people that demand even more for their bodies. i'm in my work van, having lunch, next minute i'm in the back of an ambulance having a heart attack. the emts gave me bayer aspirin. it helped save my life. i was in shape, fit. i did not see it coming. my doctor recommends i take bayer aspirin to help prevent another heart attack. [ male announcer ] aspirin is not appropriate for everyone so be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. i've lived through a massive heart attack. i don't take life for granted. see your doctor and get checked out. ♪ see your doctor and get checked out. happy birthday! it's a painting easel! the tide's coming in!
6:32 pm
this is my favorite one. it's upside down. oh, sorry. (woman vo) it takes him places he's always wanted to go. that's why we bought a subaru. (announcer) love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. >> welcome back to "hannity." we continue with donald
6:33 pm
rumsfeld. and his new book rumsfeld's rules is now out in bookstores. we will start with michelle. >> thank you for being here. what is one less son or rummy rule, as you sean likes to call it, that you think this administration ought to apply immediately? >> good question. >> it is a good question. i think that the crisis -- they are in a crisis. that's for sure. and how do you manage a crisis? i think what you do is you -- i learned it when i was a navy pilot. when you are lost, the rule is you climb to get altitude, you conserve your fuel, and you confess. climb, conserve and confess. that's what you do. we've all been lost. and what they have to do, it seems to me, is just full stop and find out what ground truth is and tell the american people
6:34 pm
what ground truth is. >> you know why that can't happen? because this president is radical. it goes against the grain of everything that he believes in who he is. disagree? >> i never took any courses in psychiatry. >> okay. k. t., we will go to you. >> you have been on the national scene for two generations. you have met everybody. you have met all the senior american leadership for almost 50 years and you have met the foreign leadership for the same amount of time. who strikes you in either in the united states or abroad as great leaders and why? >> great question. >> i was in nassir's funeral in '70 or '71. some said he wouldn't last because he was weak and he didn't want strong vice president, but we came out of a meeting with him, a former high
6:35 pm
commissioner of germany michigan and robert murphy, the diplomat young warriors, came oust our meeting with him and thought, my goodness, there is a presence. and what he proceeded to do, when we were there, the soviets had troops everywhere, they had tanks everywhere, they 4 airplanes everywhere, and within a short period of time he had thrown the soviets out and he had proceeded to visit israel and provided a stable base in that part of the world for a good many years until i was killed by an off shoot of the muslim brotherhood. >> his autobiography is phenomenal. >> one other person. >> mrs. thatcher. i didn't get to her funeral service and i regreet that deeply. she said the trouble with socialism is, eventually you run out of other people's money. it really says it all. it doesn't work. and she said it.
6:36 pm
she said it well. >> david web. >> when it comes to your rules, you have already broken one. there's more than ten. >> that's my last rule. don't have more than ten. i have 300. >> leadership exists at all levels of our society and for every american. rule 15 for the american people how they can rise above mediocrity and exhibit leadership at whatever level because exceptionalism is the result of our entire country and dna. it's important we see a resurgence of that so what is rule 15. >> well, then 301? >> well, i think -- i watched some testimony one time by a fine historian, david mccullough, and he took time for a congressional committee and asked what one thing he
6:37 pm
would wish for for this country, and he said he wished the schools would teach history. and it seems to me that that's good advice. because you have to start with young people and we have to know what it is we are about and why this country what it is. the roads here weren't paved with gold. people came here through tough circumstances and built this amazing experiment and democracy and it was tough. think of the civil war, 600,000 dead and slaves into the 1800s and women not voting into the 1900s and it's been a tough road. and the thing that's done it is people. people contributing. >> all right. quick. brook? >> you mentioned earlier that we suffer from this disease of political correctness where we cannot talk about islamist terrorism without being called
6:38 pm
islamicphobics. words are being redacted, fbi officials are being fired for being that. what is your advice to citizen activists who want to speak openly about this but are afraid? >> if we want to lose, keep doing what we are doing. because if you are unwilling to call the truth the truth and say what it is, you are absolutely doomed. you can't live a lie. and i think it was mark twain said you can't pray a lie and huckleberry finn, and you can't. as much as somebody would want it to be that way, you can't. the truth is the truth and ultimately will come out. we never would have won the cold war if we walked around and pretended that communism was just another way to do things. >> all right. we are going to take a break and come back, more with donald rumsfeld and our special studio audience as "hannity" continues.
6:39 pm
don't go anywhere. ven my mood. that's when i talked with my doctor. he gave me some blood tests... showed it was low t. that's it. it was a number. [ male announcer ] today, men with low t have androgel 1.62% testosterone gel. the #1 prescribed topical testosterone replacement therapy increases testosterone when used daily. women and children should avoid contact with application sites. dcontinue androgel and call youdoctor if you see unexpected signs of early puberty in a child, or signs in a woman, which may include changes in body hair or a large increase in acne, possibly due to accidental exposu. men with east cancer or whoave or might have prostate cancer, and women who are or may become pregnant or are breast-feeding, should not use androgel. serious side effects include worsening of an enlarged prostate, possible increased risk of proste cancer, lower sperm count, swelling of ankles, feet, or body, enlarged or painful breasts, oblems breatng during sleep, and blood clots in the legs. tell your doctor about your medical conditions and medications, especially insulin,
6:40 pm
corticosteroids, or medicines to decrease blood clotting. in a inical study, over 80% of treated men had their t levels restored to normal. talk to your doctor about all your symptoms. get the blood tests. change your number. turn it up. androgel 1.62%. mommy's having a french fry. yes she is, yes she is. [ bop ] [ male announcer ] could've had a v8. 100% vegetable juice, with three of your daily vegetable servings in every little bottle. [ male announcer ] a car that can actually see like a human using stereoscopic cameras ♪ and even stop itself if it has to. ♪ the technology may be hard to imagine... but why you would want it is not. the 2014 e-class, see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers through mercedes-benz financial services.
6:41 pm
6:42 pm
6:43 pm
>> welcome back to "hannity." we continue with former secretary of defense donald and our special panel of brilliant people. jude digs is next. >> hello, in secretary. thank you for being with us today. the military is very fond of action reports. when you look back and consider the america's experience in iraq and what the people has gone through and how it's now viewed, what would you, you us to do in -- urge us to do in sierra and iran? would you recommend militaryoq-ñ forces to either place? >> i don't know. and that's one miff rules, when you don't know you say you don't know. you want to help -- the thought of 70,000 syrians dead in this
6:44 pm
period, i used to deal with assad's father when i was president reagan began's middle east envhe world would be better in assad jr. were gone. but what will replace it? look at egypt. there were a lot of good folks wanting to improve the country and1d; then there were the musm brotherhood and people who had their own views and they were better organized and the united states permitted and encouraged and blessed an early election and .fqtz it. i want to know who you were going to help in that mix in syria before you decided what you are going to do. and goodness knows the world would be better in assad weren't there and i hope he isn't some day, but i hope what replaces him isn't as bad or worse. >> tony. >> great to hear your comments and rules. during the bush administration
6:45 pm
you took a lot of heat for the abu grab prison scandal. but you took accountability which is an essential part of leadership n benghazi four american heros have died, yet we see known in this administration of rising to the] taking accountability for this. is this, in your opinion, badder ship from the top or will wek find out after the fact neighbor good offer their resignation as a result of the action and lock of response to benghazi? >> i guess only time will heli. but tîá,ñ hear a secretary of se make the comment "what at this point does it matter" was heartbreaking. it does matter. it matters that people are dead. it also matters that we find out precisely what took place. and that's why these hearings are so enormously important it's the wonderful thing about the
6:46 pm
united states navy, when a ship runs aground, the skipper is relieved, and he knows t it's not true in the other services and it's not true in a lot of aspects of american life. but there is something that is usefulsbs=uq accountability. i quite agree with you. >> monica. >> mr. secretary, thank you so much for your service to this great nation. i have a big question for you. d history, all of our enemies have been external all the way through the communist soviet block. the current enemy is fundamentalism and terror, and while it is external in reagreements, it's also internal. the threat is here in the terms of the boston bombers, the time square bomber, the muslim brotherhood and the stealth jihad. and i worry our constitution is not built to deal with this kind of internal threat. an enemy that is religiously driven that's correct as yous our rights%ñ and openness and r
6:47 pm
tolerance against us. my question to you is are we fighting this war the right way? have we struck the right balance between liberty and security and how do wea9]c we dole with they being american citizens, how do we fight this war in an appropriate way so that we prevail when it's right here at home? >> i think we are going to fiendish way toward the right balance and mixaf>u there. and it will be the executive branch and the congress hall have to adjust to the fact we are in the 21st century, we are in the information age. technology has advanced to point where things change and we need to understand that and accept that. when 9/11 took place in 2001, there was a study that johns hopkins did on dark winter where they theorized smallpox in three locations in america, and within a year up to 1 million americans would have been dead under this
6:48 pm
theory. and that was the backdrop of 9/11 that wn and you can imagine if smallpoxs country, states would have marshall law, they would have quarantine. when i was a youngster if you chicken pox they put an on your house and you weren't allowed out of your house and people weren'ti(÷aóhtx allowedr house. if we had that kind of biological threat in this, it would alter. we are the most vulnerable people in the world because we are the freest people in the world, we want to say what we want, go where we want and do what we want. the kind of threat youyhzñ propy described, we have to understand that we have to figure out the way we can >> mr. secretary, it's an honor. the obama administration has turned the pentagon into a 
6:49 pm
religious liberty is under attack. recently an admiral said they are being told to check their religion, christy anti at the door and one army briefing went so far to classify evangelicalism and other religions.e]dx]@ can you tell us how important faith is ingtu not just the pentagon but in the armed 9lñ >> it's an importanty>;u of our country and ouro wñ very beginnb began with faith. and our coins say "in god we trust" and our pledge of allegiance says" under god." it is a part. the free practice and belief in religion is a fundamental part of our country, and i would go so far as to say a critical part of the success of this country. >> we are goingqyfto take a br. we will have more with former defense secretary donald rumsfeld right after this quick break. stay with us after this quick break here on "hannity."
6:50 pm
[applause] [ engine revs ] ♪ [ male announcer ] just when you thought you had experienced performance, a new ride comes along and changes everything. ♪ the 2013 lexus gs, with a dynamically tuned suspension and adjustable drive modes. because the ultimate expression of power is control. this is the pursuit of perfection. all stations come over toression mithis is for real this time. step seven point two one two. rify and lock. command is locked. five seconds. three, two, one. standing by for capture. the most innovative software on the planet... dragon is captured. is connecting today's leading companies to places beyond it.
6:51 pm
siemens. answers. ♪ there you go. come on, let's play! [ male announcer ] there's an easier way to protect your dog from dangerous parasites. good boy. fetch! trifexis is the monthly, beef-flavored tablet that prevents heartworm disease, kills fleas and prevents infestations, and treats hook-, round-, and whipworm infections. treatment with fewer than 3 monthly doses after exposure to mosquitoes may not provide complete hrtworm prevention. the most common adverse reactions were vomiting, itching and lethargy. serious adverse reactions have been reported following concomitant extra-label use of ivermectin with spinosad alone, one of the components of trifexis. prior to administration, dogs should be tested for existing heartworm infection. to learn more about trifexis, talk to your veterinarian, call 888-545-5973 or visit trifexis.com. you don't have to go to extremes to protect your dog from parasites. you need trifexis. visit our website to save up to $25. available by prescription from your veterinarian.
6:52 pm
6:53 pm
>> announcer: introducing the redesigned jitterbug plus, our smartest, easiest cell phone yet. >> when i heard about the jitterbug, i went online and ordered one for my mom. now my mom has a cell phone she actually enjoys using. >> announcer: the jitterbug plus is easy to use, easy to see, and it has the longest-lasting battery on the market. for a limited time, get a free car charger with purchase. to locate a store near you, visit greatcall.com. greatcall-- people you can count on. [ male announcer ] erica had a rough day. there was this and this. she got a parking ticket... ♪ and she forgot to pay her credit card bill on time. good thing she's got the citi simplicity card. it doesn't charge late fees or a penalty rate. ever. as in never ever. now about that parking ticket. [ grunting ] [ male announcer ] the citi simplicity card is the only card that never has late fees, a penalty rate, or an annual fee, ever. go to citi.com/simplicity to apply.
6:54 pm
>> welcome back. we continue more with donald rumsfeld, and our special panel of invited guests. we go to stephano. what is up, jennifer? >> let's put aside foreign policy for a moment because i loved your vigorous defense of capitalism. people like me who spend their life fight, for economic freedoms, believe if goods and services cross borders, troops won't. what do you think of rebuilding capitalism in the world and america to be a positive thing and how would that influence foreign polings to make us a more peaceful nation and peaceful world? at love people said what brought down communism is mcdonald's opening in moscow. what do you think of that? >> i think my favorite photograph is korean peninsula.
6:55 pm
the same resources north and south, the same culture, the 15th largest economy on the face of the earth in the south and the north is starving. the only difference is in the south they have a free political system and a plea economic system and in the north it's a communist system and command economy. it says it all. it's something people ought to study and look at and believe in. it works. free markets work and if you don't like free markets, basically you probably don't like freedom. >> wow, well said. >> there is an upcoming election in iran in june. four years ago this administration dropped the ball on supporting a justified regime change behind a well-intentioned iranian nation. we don't know what the people are on the ground syria and not in libya and then in iran we know we have a large population of well-intentioned people, but
6:56 pm
this administration keeps on allowing the regimes to play out the clock. we know they are supporting the syrian regime. i know you have gone on the record saying the sanctions are not working. what should be done? >> i think if there's a popular uprising in iran, and you are quite right, the people in the north and the people in the south, there's a mixture of people in the countries, and my sense is that we did make a mistake by not encouraging the last time there was that uprising. and i would hope that we would be wise enough to find ways to go supportive of it in the event that it occurs again. >> lori from the fox business network. >> just one last thought. there's an old saying, there will be no peace in the world until every man is free because to every man he is the world. and people in iran undoubtedly see what happens in other countries and feel repressed. >> lori?
6:57 pm
>> mr. secretary, back here at home, how do we get this economy backfiring on all cylinders with a return to full employment? you have in the private sector running corporations as well as their time in washington. what's your advice? i know there is a difference of view in ceo's and washington and this administration in particular. >> we don't find people in business doing an effective job of carrying the case. and government, if i hear one more person talk about growing jobs from government, i'm going to pull my a hair out, what's left of it. government does not grow jobs except in government. and that's a burden, not a blessing. what we need to do is to understand that the task of government is to create an environment to people seeking opportunities, and opportunities and the job of the private
6:58 pm
sector is to create the jobs and the products and the competitiveness. the whole concept we've been reading about something is too big to fail. my ear! nothing is to big to fail in the private sector. it gets replaced withresh and d. washing down any retail street in america and go back later, the stores will be different and why? because they make a better product at a better price and god bless them for it. >> well said. last but not least. ron. >> thanks. i'm curious how you think world leader perceive president obama and his administration. he said he would have a new love for the united states and given the bright line he said he would place for syria, and how do you think world leaders perceive america and our leadership in the era of obama? >> good question. >> it is a good question, and my sense is that i'm told by world leaders that the idea that we
6:59 pm
are modeling our economy on europe, which is a failed model, and isn't going to work for us, and that we are basically apologizing for america, america is not what is wrong with the world. and to the extent we walk around and pretend that america is what is wrong with the world, we are going to persuade people that in fact we are in decline. and when the vice president of the united states has to stand up and say we are not in decline, why does he have to say that? because we are. we are in the perception of the world, they see weakness in the united states. i don't mean military weakness, i mean they don't see the united states behaving in a way that suggests it is going to be a significant factor in the world, contributing to a more peaceful and a more stable world. and they need to see that. >> mr. secretary, very die namic hour. thanks so much for being with us. >> thank you. >> thanks for being with us.
7:00 pm
that's all the time we have left this evening. as always, thank you for being with us. and i hope you and your family have a great night. >> tonight on the fox report. >> we are innocent, believe me. >> a suspect in the brutal murder of a british soldier three years ago. people said he was planning to train with an al-qaeda off shoot. so why did cops let him go? plus. >> it could have been devastating. >> a teenager accused of plot to go attack his high school with a arsenal of explosives under his bed. >> it would have caused injury or death. >> i would be on edge because of the potential it could have had if somebody didn't come forward. >> tonight

108 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on