Skip to main content

tv   Viewpoint  Current  August 14, 2013 5:00pm-6:01pm PDT

5:00 pm
>> cenk: where can you always see us? you know it, the young turks.com. later tonight we'll have another show there for you guys. always check out tubes at youtube/tyt. my friend john fugelsang is next with "viewpoint." bye-bye. >> john: rush limbaugh doesn't want school kids brainwashed into accepting transgender kids but it's totally cool to brain wash kids to despise them. and congressman dana rohrbacher goes to town hall and assures his constituents that claim change is an evil plot by 97% of the world's scientists and nasa to convince people that
5:01 pm
pollution is bad. and it's more 90s retro than a mixed tape of bush, hole, and tool. and if you're a christian american who hates or discriminates against anybody you suck at being christian and american. it's the birthday of david crosby, and magic johnson who was diagnosed with h.i.v. looks great now. score one more point for science. and today is the birthday of social security, ever notice the same politicians who tell you that obama is coming for your guns exact ones coming for your social security? stick around. this is "viewpoint."
5:02 pm
[ ♪ music ] >> john: i'm john fugelsang. this is "viewpoint." thank you for much for joining us tonight. he is a prolific brighter having authored three books and 40 plays. he has received five grammy nominations and two wins for his stand up cds. he has appeared in numerous films and on tv. most notably in his feature the segment on the daily show with jon stewart, you might have heard of it "back in black." >> we have a two party system. the democratic party, which is the party of no ideas. the and the republican party which is the party of bad ideas. and the way it works is the republican stands up in congress and says, i got a really bad idea. and then the democrat says, and
5:03 pm
i can make it [bleep]er. >> just the premise. his special, "old yeller" will be live in atlantic city. you can watch it indemand augu august 24th at 9:00 p.m. the man, the myth, the special guest lewis black. how are you, sir. >> i'm good. it's great to see you again. >> john: it's nice to see you again. thank you for gracing us. you look terrific, by the way. more good clean living. >> oh, yes. >> john: the question that you get asked the most, you portray this angry guy on stage, and you're actually a lovely human being in life. and they say thawho did you tryu found lewis black persona. >> well, it was my persona, the
5:04 pm
problem with being in comic is that you--it's that thing that when you're starting out, and sitting with a young comic, the young comic is really funny when sitting. and then you go on stage and you go, what are you doing? you walk that five feet, and suddenly you're not funny any more. it took me a long time to realize that i was really funny when i was angry. that's when i was really funny. i was doing an act that was really angry but not being angry. it's kind of i'm sitting on my anger, which is really creepy. >> john: when you get past the fact that it causes cancer. was stand up a healthy outlet for you, did it make a happier person to go out and express that? >> a happier person. >> john: a more at peace person. >> it was good to get rid of a lot of stuff. you could go and unload on everything. a world that i felt was
5:05 pm
completely out of its mind. i wake up thinking that everything is going to be great. i really do. this is the day that it all comes together. then 20 minutes of looking at the paper, watching tv, and then i know i'm an idiot and it's over again. that loads up, and you want to get rid of that. you want to get rid of all the stuff during the course of the day that boils up. they don't have chicken salad today? someone kidding me? all that have minutia that everyone gets piled on. and by the end of the day i can go on stage and dump it. >> john: i think the first time i met you was when you were doing "black and blue" off broadway. that was 19 years ago. >> yes. >> john: since then you have become a figure of worldwide acclaim. you've won the grammys. you're beloved on tv. at what point did you know that professionally you had made it? >> to be honest? it was when i got a phone call
5:06 pm
from george carlin. i was living in a fifth floor walk up in hell's kitchen that was a dump. i was literally, you know, getting--going down once a week to fly out for six days to work clubs. i had had maybe one thing on comedy central at that point. maybe one special. it was fine. i liked what i was doing, but i got a call from george. the call went, hi, lewis, this is george carlin. first off, let me say there is nothing i can do for your career. that being said, i thought it would be complimentary to my work. and if he had stuff, if there was stuff i had around, other things he could get his hands on he would love to hear it. i was, like, that was it. i thought of that moment in time, and i know this is not--only people in this comedy
5:07 pm
would get it. he's my hero. i made it. whatever happens after that is gravy. this is really what you're looking for. >> john: i remember one night larry king asked carlin who his favorite young comedians were, and he named you. i saw you the next night, i had never seen you so happy and jubilant. >> he was the one that i listened to, he and bruce, i would visually watch him. and then there were people like, shellshelly berman and bob newht that taught me the idea of telling the story. >> john: and the character act persona which leads to the fact that people, people don't know,
5:08 pm
you studied at yale. you are an accomplished playwright. you published 40 plays. >> well not published. i got them done. >> john: and your latest play is called "one slight hitch" which will feature marklin baker whom we love from owe perfect strangers." you said it's not a political play. >> no. >> john: what is it? >> it's a romantic comedy in as far as. it's a romantic comedy disguised as a farce. it's a woman's play, and the nicest thing written about that play it's being done as we speak ion the cape, a place i would never vacation now after being there this last go around. however, a lovely theater, and the thing is, she called it, a woman said it was a feminist comedy. and in a sense it is.
5:09 pm
it really is--it's a woman's play. i wrote a woman's play. i don't know. [ laughing ] >> john: you're a feminist. i always viewed you as a feminist. is this what the life is for you? you work at night. perform at night, and then you have your days free to write? >> a bit. a lot of this is energy. a lot of it is radio, i'm coming to the next town. i'll be there and let's come out, please. >> john: well, let me ask you then, what if today--we're doing this in august, it's endsville for politics. what issues do you find are the hottest right now. you're one of the few who appeal to both conservative and progressive audiences. what topics are ripe for the crowds right now? >> everybody knows it's psychotic. it's stupid, ignorant. these people who are supposed to
5:10 pm
be able to do a budget, really you can't figure out, take action, it's like literally, i say on stage its like you do a family budget and say we really got to cut back on something. we can't figure out what to take out of all the comps so we cut out protein. they're schmucks. they're crazy. they're clueless, and immigration is nuts. i mean, really? >> really, you can't figure that out? it's my whole life i can't figure stuff out but this is stunning. >> john: and it's interesting how sides are switching immigration and you see more republicans coming out in favor of immigration reform. what is your secret to be able to reach both sides of the aisle and not alienating. >> because i bash both sides. they're not bringing to the table what they're supposed to
5:11 pm
be bringing. i was born and raised in a time when democrats were really democrats, and when they said something they meant it. republicans were republicans, and when they said something they meant it. nobody figured out the psychology of it. they just talked. nobody went to the gym. they were drunks. i'm sorry, but to show just how bad this government is now, the fact that it operated so well when i was a kid when they were drunks, drunks ran the country better than these guys who go to the gym. endorphins don't help. you got to be at the bar with the guy you don't like. if after three beers you go, you're the best. how do you think o'neil and ronald reagan figured it stuff out. they need to go to the bar. >> john: do you see how anything being solved with the tea party. >> i think the tea party will pass. this, too, shall pass.
5:12 pm
>> john: why is that? >> because they've been given, and it's the republicans' fault in that sense, and in part the democrats for not really putting their foot down and going at them day after day after day. >> john: well, yes. >> you have got a very small part of this population being given an inordinate amount of power. it was the same when i was a kid, the left wing, when there was all that social upheaval, and you know, the jay ruben and hoffman, and all those guys, we were a small group of people given an insane amount of power. it was in essence having anything to do with the size of the population. >> john: i agree with you that the democratic party is like clark kent without a phone booth. they're in clown shoes. when you think about it, people say they trust comedians more than politicians or the media. i get that because if it's not true you won't laugh.
5:13 pm
by the end of the play the only guy that king lear trusted was a fool. i got that. but given the guys with power that guys like you have, do you think politico medians actually have sway over the outcomes of elections. >> no. >> john: even in terms of influencing young voters? >> i think we get young voters to think. i think the daily show, cobert, i think they've given a way to look at it in fashioning a look at the news. that's what we've done. otherwise, when someone screams at me from the audience about something and they're upset. do you really think that me being here in front of 1500 people, that america is going to wake up tomorrow and change? >> john: lewis, i want to thank you for joining us on the final week of "viewpoint." we're going to have you on the clip tomorrow as well. you've inspired me and other
5:14 pm
comedians for such a long time. and more important after inspiring me you really make me laugh. it's a gift to have you here. stick around. while we might cover the news, up next we're joined by a peabody award winning not fake news line, the one and own brian lair. lewis black, everyone. [applause] >> ... and the thinkers thinking. >> okay, so there is wiggle room in the ten commandments is what you're telling me. >> she's joy behar. >> ya, i consider you jew-talian. >> okay, whatever you want. >> who plays kafka? >> who saw kafka? >> who ever saw kafka? >> (laughter). >> asking the tough questions. >> chris brown, i mean you wouldn't let one of your daughters go out with him. >> absolutely not. >> you would rather deal with ahmadinejad then me? >> absolutely! >> (singing) >> i take lipitor, thats it. >> are you improving your lips? >> (laughter). >> when she's talking, you never know where the conversation is
5:15 pm
going to go. >> it looks like anthony wiener is throwing his hat in the ring. >> his what in the ring? >> his hat. >> always outspoken, joy behar. >> and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they thinking? >> only on current tv.
5:16 pm
(vo) later tonight, current tv is the place for compelling true stories. >> jack, how old are you? >> nine. >> this is what 27 tons of marijuana looks like. (vo) with award winning documentaries that take you inside the headlines, way inside. (vo) from the underworld, to the world of privilege. >> everyone in michael jackson's life was out to use him. (vo) no one brings you more documentaries that are real, gripping, current. very, very excited about that and very proud of that. >>beltway politics from inside the loop. >>we tackle the big issues here in our nation's capital, around the country and around the
5:17 pm
globe. >>dc columnist and four time emmy winner bill press opens current's morning news block. >>we'll do our best to carry the flag from 6 to 9 every morning. >> john: another day, another rant from rush limbaugh. this time he is slamming a new california law requiring public schools to respect a student's gender identity. >> they're not worried in the least that the law is going to be abused. and why should they worry about that? they're liberals. they don't have a clue how the minds of teenage boys work any way. they really don't. >> because teenage boys pretend to be transgender to use someone else's restroom. for hours each weekday we see rush limbaugh, sean hannity spew outrage, riling up their
5:18 pm
listeners with a frothy mix of indignation because that's what talk radio is inway, a shout fest. but the only opinion that really counts is the hosts. well, not among groans ups. on the brian lehrer show, the listeners are king. it's a daily show that prides itself on respect for its guests, it's audience and diverse opinions that they espouse. brian lehrer has been praised as a master interview, thank you for being here. >> john, you were the intern at my show. we've gone on for a 24 year run. i'm your guest, and you're going off the air the next day. that means you're good luck and i'm bad luck. >> john: i'm thrilled you could be here and i think you'll have that backwards. you'll still be go employed.
5:19 pm
i can't think of more different radio personalities than you and rush. how would you compare your style to his? >> it's funny that you bring this up, i don't know if we talked about this in 1989, but my show is actually created to some degree in response to the sudden popularity of rush limbaugh around the nation in 1988. now not just my show but talk shows in major markets springing up at the time. it was not that he was conservative so they were going to put on liberals. that's not the point. you got the distinction exactly right. do you remember what happened in the 1980s, the fairness doctrine went away that used to required broadcasters to broadcast different sides of major issues. that went away during the reagan administration, and that allowed talk radio to become three hour
5:20 pm
long rants with one opinion, whatever would sell in the marketplace. they decided that we needed to do something different. at that time that meant, oh, we can enter this talk show marketplace, but with a different kind of thing. to do what had gone away, to be the public square. >> john: i want to be fair and say there are some liberal radio show host who is have the same talking vitriol and aren't just hating on republicans all the time. >> that's fine. there is a place for both. i'm not saying. >> john: if it's entertaining, bring it on. >> not just if it's entertaining but both serve audiences. you need a place like current tv where liberal viewpoints can be expressed and you don't have stortoworry about someone gettig offended, and rush limbaugh has his place, that's fine. but you need places where the
5:21 pm
point is to build community rather than divide where the point is to listen to each other. >> john: does it surprise you when you say that your brand of patient examination of all sides of an issue is old fashioned? >> no, i don't think it's old fashioned. >> john: me either. >> i think it's the future. if we're going down this road like british media has been in for a long time where you know who you are by what newspapers you read. we have that online and everything right now, again, i think it's good. i think it's good that there could be different political communities, and not everything has to be watered down. i don't think the cronkite era was the golden age because everything had to be so middle of the road. >> john: you're right. >> that real conservative opinion, real liberal conservative, real progressive opinion could not go out there. i think this is a way to build
5:22 pm
real community. >> john: i think cronkite would agree with you because once he went off air he became a more passionate writer and commentator. one issue that has civil rights is the stop-and-frisk. and mayor bloomberg said that crime will go through the roof. what are your listeners saying. >> my listeners of color where stop-and-frisk are practiced are divided. some call and said i've been stopped 15 times in four years, i'm sick of it. i think there is an age demographic here thing. older people in the communities what are afraid of crime, who don't do anything to pull back, you talk about mayor bloomberg's
5:23 pm
warning we have to know the truth when we see it. that's part of building community. it's not just anything goes. i heard new the beginning of the show talk about global warming and the deniers, accepting a lot of different points of view doesn't mean that you can't recognize the truth when you see it. you have to recognize the truth when you see it. >> john: what do you mean by accepting different points of view. >> well, building a place where different points of view are respected, having debates on things not just putting your opinion out as the truth. nevertheless, science says there is global warming, and it has been said in studies, you don't have debates of is there global warming or isn't there global warming. but when it comes to stop-and-frisk, you also have to look at the data. crime in new york was going down about the same rate before
5:24 pm
stop-and-frisk under bloomberg as it continued to go down after stop-and-frisk. and there were fewer stops from the year before because of the blow back, and the murder rate went down in new york about by the same, 20%. so to take an eas easy equation about stop and specific. >> john: you know, when i interned for you, i admired you about that, with that in mind what do you see as being the future of public radio? >> the future of public radio is a lot of online content, the future of public radio are things like "this american life," and programs that really speak to people with the truth
5:25 pm
where they live, and that get you in the heart and in the head. >> john: brian, you're a new york radio legend. what is the best way to follow your show. >> go to wnyc.org . you can subscribe to the podcast. >> brian lehrer, host of the brian lehrer show and my former boss. thank you for keeping a respectful and intelligent debate alive o on the airwaves o balance out what i do. >> it's been great to see your success. >> john: what a pleasure. up next, how mad scientists are taking over the world, and you won't believe the congressman who uncovered the plot. that's coming up next. ç]
5:26 pm
5:27 pm
5:28 pm
>> john: welcome back to "so that happened." only one more show after tonight. sadly "so that happened" will no longerring--happening. the planet is heating up. look at science committee memb member. >> just so you know, global warming is a fraud. those at the local level wants the state level to do the work and make the decisions. then at the state level they want the federal government to do it. at the federal government they want to create government to control all of our lives. that's what their game plan. it's step by step by step. >> john: he's right. it's step by step by step. a stairway to hell. do you think those liberals are going to stop at the global
5:29 pm
level? no way! it's an easy step to go from the global to solar interstellar government. once the solar system is in the hands of the liberal overlords what is to stop them from turning the milky way into a blue galaxy and then the whole universe. i don't want my tax dollars to go to a socialist rebellion in a galaxy far, far away. the shortest begins tans between two points is through an insane twisted head. this guy is not a conspiracy theorist, my friends. he is a conspirecy rightist. ar. honest. they know that i'm not bsing them for some hidden agenda, actually supporting one party or the other. when the democrats are wrong, they know i'm going to be the first one to
5:30 pm
call them out. cenk on air>> what's unacceptable is how washington continues to screw the middle class over. cenk off air i don't want the middle class taking the brunt of the spending cuts and all the different programs that wind up hurting the middle class. cenk on air you got to go to the local level, the state level and we have to fight hard to make sure they can't buy our politics anymore. cenk off air and they can question if i'm right about that. but i think the audience gets that, i actually mean it. cenk on air 3 trillion dollars in spending cuts! narrator uniquely progressive and always topical, the worlds largest online news show is on current tv. cenk off air and i think the audience gets, "this guys to best of his abilities is trying to look out for us." only on current tv!
5:31 pm
5:32 pm
you know who is coming on to me now? you know the kind of guys that do reverse mortgage commercials? those types are coming on to me all the time now. (vo) she gets the comedians laughing and the thinkers thinking. >>ok, so there's wiggle room in the ten commandments, that's what you're saying. you would rather deal with
5:33 pm
ahmadinejad than me. >>absolutely. >> and so would mitt romney. (vo) she's joy behar. >>and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they thinking? >> john: welcome back to "viewpoint." more events happening in egypt and violence spread across the country wednesday. death tolls approaching 150 casualty. the state news agency is a tricky source said more than 1400 people have been wounded. so in times like these we're very lucky to have our next guest. jerry is a correspondent for the nation, and he's author of "dirty wars."
5:34 pm
jeremy's documentary "dirty wars" is available on demand and in select cities across the country, and the dvd comes out, write this down, october 15th. it is essential viewing to understand where america is at in what has been called the war on terror. we're thrilled to have him back for our final week of shows. jeremy. >> congrats on such a great run. >> john: it was rather unexpected. i signed a deal a year ago to cover a comedy show and then i took over eliot's show, and it's really raised my game, it's been an honor to work with you. i'm delighted you've brought your expertise here and i'm thrilled you were free the final week. when i watch the american news media, i got to be honest, i don't feel that i get from the corporate media a solid grasp of what is going on in the mideast, especially in egypt. i hear muslim brotherhood and i
5:35 pm
know those words are intended to scare me, except for the fact that they were elected. >> you know, it's christmas and hanukkah wrapped into one for nancy grace and there has been bizarro court tv, is that because summertime is slow news time? >> i don't think so. people who are into reality television, and the way news decisions are made more having to do with advertising dollars. our media culture is largely bankrupt. the anthony weiner story still dominates. there is very little coverage of i didn't want. ofegypt on the news.
5:36 pm
hundreds of civilians have been killed. perhaps thousands of others have been wounded we had secretary of state john kerry, who is supposed to be representing the united states around the world praising the egyptian military for restoring the rule of law and democracy in egypt when a military man has just stood on national television and announced the only democratically elected president of egypt would no longer be president. and that's a coup. we have not had the white house respond in utter failure to the crisis. >> john: the fact that their entire economy is based on tourism do you think the white house has been diplomatically sending envoys. when you have a guy who has been democratically elected like morsi, it would be nice to see a
5:37 pm
recall or impeachment, were you price surprised to see him driven from office. >> no, i wasn't, and the reason why the white house is not callincalling it a coup, they wd have to cut financial aid. the reason why they give so much aid to egypt it has to do with israel. >> john: 1978 camp david. >> yes, egypt is the main stronghold that the u.s. has in that region to defend israel's interest. that's why you see president obama refusing to call it a coup because it would be high stakes to israel. >> john: and it's in israel's great interest to see things become more tranquil and see a sustained government. >> i think they would like to see a military government in egypt. i don't think they want to see
5:38 pm
the muslim brotherhood in power because the military is a more predictable force. it's sort of the mentality that kissinger had all the way through bush, george w. bush, that saddam hussein was our s.o.b. you know, a strong man, and. >> cenk: and mubarak. >> yes, the white house held on to for dear life to mubarak. it was a military game when they said it's over and now when you look at what is happening around the region. you have syria which was utterly destroyed and destabilized by bush's foolish war. then you have iran and the u.s. citing a proxy war, hezbollah is in syria. you have this drone war going on in yemen. i thought it was impossible for an american president to governor over an era where our popularity i in in arab would be
5:39 pm
lower. we don't know how many iraqi civilians were killed. the fact that that country was destroyed, a place that has great significance in the history of arab culture and the muslim world, it was unprecedent and rage-inspired. what i think about the drones, john, is that we're--and i've said this before on your show, i think we're making more enemies than killing terrorists with the drone program. it's not that there aren't insane terrorist that are dedicated to killing american citizens. the question is how do we as a democratic society keep our values intact and have a smarter foreign policy. we're giving no motivation for them to stop. we're encouraging their propaganda. >> john: and counting anyone killed in a strike as a militant
5:40 pm
whether they were or not, we create a blow back, and then we create a new village of american haters. >> when bush and cheney were in power. they were murder inc. the issue with obama, he made a big deal with transparency in history, training the direction that the u.s. were heading in the middle east, and i think the in some ways it has inflamed it beyond bush era levels because some people expected more than obama. there was a great amount of hope by obama's presidency. i think the impact is more visible there when you knew that bush and cheney were cartoonish villains. >> john: i know they want to reduce broken strikes they know it's a loser deal, but i have to ask you, we only have a minute left, about yemen. are they like pakistan playing both sides of the fence, trying to appease their constituents while taking money from us? >> absolutely. the yemeni government is
5:41 pm
notoriously corrupt. they say they're fighting terrorism. they need u.s. training and u.s. navy seals and we need all these weapons. when al-qaeda gives them trouble for it saying you're using this for oppression, then a prison break happens. there is a lot of evidence to suggest that the yemeni government is playing both sides. they've played the u.s. like a piano on both sides. the counterterrorism we've given them a has been used to oppress their own people. we're the only ones who haven't seen them for doing it. >> john: i have a whole list of questions to ask you. i got to none of them. >> take a picture of it, and we'll tweet it. >> john: one of the smartest and most honest journalists out there. see his movie please. >> thanks, a graduate run. >> john: thank you for coming back. it's been a pleasure to have you.
5:42 pm
coming up next, the clinton rage makes a comeback. stick around.
5:43 pm
5:44 pm
>> john: welcome back to "viewpoint." time now for the summer's biggest sequel. hillary hate. it's back and more bitter than ever. and as new week's michael tomasky points out today, it's an equal opportunity pastime for liberals an conservatives alike. hating hillary was all the rage when the clintons ruled the white house. then she pulled a fast one as senator from new york. she co-opted many of her
5:45 pm
enemies, lining up with the bushies on both the iraq war, "no child left behind," the tax cuts and supreme court nominees. she was a rock star until the benghazi was turned against her and speculation over her run for the white house in 2016 began. as if on cue, the clinton rage machine once again. three of the best tea people i'e had on this show, democratic strategist mr. rick unger. syndicated columnist and editor in chief tina dupuy and host of ring of fire, sam seder. it's been great doing the show with you guys. since we're being nostalgic let's talk about hillary.
5:46 pm
is this a rage against a personality that's been around for more than 20 years now say more about hillary or. >> she is by all accounts least presumptive contender and perhaps presumptive lead on the democratic side. you know, i think this was to be expected. this is part of the reason why i think some people were seeing replay in many respects of 2008. it's not going to abate. let's put it that way over the next two or three years. >> tina, it's brought out that much of the vitriol against hillary does not come just from the right but from the left as well. >> yes, she's been able to bring
5:47 pm
the right and the left together. the full name of citizens united was citizens united not timid. cunt. >> john: you're kidding me. >> no, check out. that is a supreme court decision. >> john: i find more of the right wing hate has been more policy driven. their response to her healthcare plan has been moment care. the progressive an taggism towards ms. clinton has been policy driven, her support of the iraq war, would you agree? >> yes, but there is a special. there is a special standard just for hillary. which things stick to her when they don't stick to other people. this started right in the very beginning. i mean, she was more successful than her husband when he ran for president. she was making more money than him in the 80s. she was a ceo and this was something that women did. she wasn't demurrer enough for
5:48 pm
the media then, and things that other people could get away with, it really caused her problems. >> john: rick, back in 2001 a terror attack meant united we stand. and in 2012 terror attack means smear the president we don't like. when it didn't work for obama, they turned the benghazi hate to hillary. now she threw her presidential hat for 2016, you never know how this could play out, this ranker, does this pose a hillary hate? >> what i enjoyed about michael toe matomasky's article, they hd eight years to decide they were okay with her, that will quickly vanish, but the article reminds us how much trouble she had for the left. that will pay off for her.
5:49 pm
>> john: as it did for an obama. >> i think what is happening that was recently published by richard cohen in times, and i forget her name. >> maureen dowd? the post? >> where is she? "the new york times." last time i checked, one of those. the emotion is just eating at me coming to the end. these are the front spear of what is going to be more liberal journalists setting their sights on hillary. it makes for great press for them, but it's really helpful for hillary? >> john: sam, do you agree? >> look, obama won the primary in 2008 in large part because he was perceived of being more to the left than hillary in the war. there were legitimate policy concerns about hillary clinton
5:50 pm
that maybe in some ways still the shadow of the clinton administration. the best thing that hillary has going for her is that a lot of people voted for obama in the democratic primary because they didn't want bill clinton's economic team. they ended up getting bill clinton's economic team. larry summers may be named chair of fed. these are the people that people were voting against. if it wasn't the iraq war, it was voting against the rubenites. i think hillary clinton will benefit from the fact that there is a certain inevitability that meese people are not going to vacate the position of economic power. so unless there is a really legitimately viable contender to the left of hillary, i don't know if she's going to be hurt by these criticisms. but if someone does show up, and i don't know if joe biden is that person, quite frankly, i don't think he is. i don't know who that person would be.
5:51 pm
it's tough to know. a lot of people would love to see elizabeth warren, but i don't know that she's considered too left. i think it's considered too early in her career, and i don't get the sense that, look, she'll be in that seat for many years if she wants, elizabeth warren, and she's doing a lot of things in the senate all right. so i don't know--i don't know who that person on the left is at this point. >> john: folks, i just want to say we are, of course, winding up current tv, and it's very sad. of course, al gore intended this to be an independent liberal news channel. i'll let people debate how successful because. i think a lot of good programming happened. i thank each one of you for being part of this experiment and for being part of this show when i got to gig. i intended to surround myself with people who are smarter than me, and i thank you for being part of that. >> i don't think any of us would
5:52 pm
agree that we were better on tv than you. >> john. >> john: a present? >> i got you this because there is nobody who deserves this more than you. >> john: you brought me a gift? oh, no way. >> yes. >> john: i can't believe this. can i get this on camera? we always use these mugs with "viewpoint" with eliot spitzer, they still deliver these every week. >> for ten months. >> john: look at what tina dupuy just got me. look at that. "viewpoint," and even spelled my name right, wow. i can't believe you did this. >> you have earned it, and that is a thank you from me and everybody here who has been employed for the last ten months because of you. >> john: i do want to say again one of the great joys doing a show like this is to work with people i respect, admire and learn from and that i'm entertained by. all three of you fit that to a tee, and it's great for you to
5:53 pm
give up your time to be regulars on this show. >> we'll do it again somewhere. >> john: i think we might. the great rick unger, the luminous tina dupuy, and the great sam seder. i look forward to doing this again elsewhere. the art of hate, christian style. it's the final f-bomb. don't go away. this show is about analyzing, criticizing, and holding policy to the fire. are you encouraged by what you heard the president say the other night? is this personal or is it political? a lot of my work happens by doing the things that i am given to doing anyway. staying in tough with everything that is going on politically and putting my own nuance on it. not only does senator rubio just care about rich people but somehow he thinks raising the minimum wage is a bad idea for the middle class. but we do care about them, right? vo: the war room monday to thursday at 6 eastern
5:54 pm
(cenk) it's go time! it's go time! it's go time! go time. you know what time it is. go time! it's go time. it's go time. what time is it rob? here comes the young turks go time! it's go time. oh is it? oh, then it's go time. anybody? anybody? what time is it? oh, right. it's go time!
5:55 pm
>> did anyone tell the pilgrims they should self-deport? >> no, they said "make us a turkey and make it fast". >> (laughter). >> she gets the comedians laughing. >> that's the best! >> that's hilarious. >> ... and the thinkers thinking. >> okay, so there is wiggle room in the ten commandments is what you're telling me. >> she's joy behar. >> ya, i consider you jew-talian. >> okay, whatever you want. >> who plays kafka? >> who saw kafka? >> who ever saw kafka? >> (laughter). >> asking the tough questions. >> chris brown, i mean you wouldn't let one of your daughters go out with him. >> absolutely not. >> you would rather deal with ahmadinejad then me? >> absolutely! >> (singing)
5:56 pm
>> i take lipitor, thats it. >> are you improving your lips? >> (laughter). >> when she's talking, you never know where the conversation is going to go. >> it looks like anthony wiener is throwing his hat in the ring. >> his what in the ring? >> his hat. >> always outspoken, joy behar. >> and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they >> only on current tv. >> john: ever notice how nobody hates other americans like a right wing american who brags about how american he he is. but no one likes a right wing watch like a right wing christian. one of the things about a fundamentalist is you can't be wrong. you speak on the side where god
5:57 pm
speaks for you, and everyone elselse is satan. you're going to hate everyone with opposing views as much as possible because clearly god hates them as much as you do. people who grew up religious but now consider themselves spiritual, here is one last f-bomb for right wing american christians especially the nasty ones who have not mastered the whole your-you're thing yet. i'm a child of an ex-priest and ex-nun, and if you discriminate against gays you're not being christian. jesus never said anything about gay people. and this show has debunked every tired argument you've used. gay people, if god really hated
5:58 pm
them, he would stop create something many. illegal immigration is now at a net zero increase. obama has had a record number of deportation and he sent national guard troops to the border. since white people are the original illegal immigrants to these parts maybe you ought to direct your scorn to the people who keep hiring. there are two signs an our border, keep out and help want wanted. you're like a pharisee telling jesus romans are the job creators. jesus wants to help the poor by killing programs that would help the poor? the second their tax dollars go to help the less fortunate, they lose their damn minds.
5:59 pm
if you don't want your taxes to help the less fortunate stop basing your government on christian values because you don't. in matthew 25 jesus let's you know when you reject the lowest criminal in jail, you rejected him, too. he's constantly talking about not killing sinners. jesus also never told to you hate other religious, women who have chosen to terminate pregnancies or liberal who is liberals, because jesus was a liberal who said to forgive your enemies as you forgive yourself. and the good samaritan paid out of pocket for an immigrant healthcare. if you grow up in america, you're allowed to hate.
6:00 pm
because if you're an american christian who hates or discriminates against others, you suck at being christian, and you suck being american. that's our show. thank you for joining us, this is "viewpoint." we're here for one more night. roseanne is here tomorrow. good night, mom, i'm john fugelsang. >> gilbert gottfried has made a career out of fending everyone, and tonight i'm sure he won't disappoint. plus i'll ask andrew dice clay how the hell he ended up starring in woodial len woody -w film. all of that and more on "say anything." [♪ theme music ] >> joy: andrew dice clay has been called the

240 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on