Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  November 10, 2016 12:00pm-1:01pm PST

12:00 pm
unusual bruising or tingling. if you have had spinal anesthesia while on xarelto watch for back pain or any nerve or muscle related signs or symptoms. do not take xarelto if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. tell your doctor before all planned medical or dental procedures. before starting xarelto tell your doctor about any conditions, such as kidney, liver or bleeding problems. to help protect yourself from a stroke, ask your doctor about xarelto. there's more to know. xarelto. and we're live here in washington, d.c., beautiful pictures, happy to be here for the week here overlooking the white house, the washington monument. what a day, what a week it has been. i'm brooke baldwin thank you for being here on this day after day
12:01 pm
after election day. so much happening in this town today, donald trump getting his first up-close look at the presidency. he and his wife soon to be first lady melania trump just met with republican leaders of the senate. we just saw him there with senate majority leader mitch mcconnell earlier in the day, the trumps and vice president-elect mike pence met with house speaker paul ryan, he ushered them out to the balcony for a view of the city and to walk them through where he'll be for the inauguration but before president-elect trump's trip to capitol hill came one of the most significant and perhaps most uncomfortable meetings this nation perhaps has seen -- barack obama and donald trump, the president and president-elect, meeting in the oval office for 90 minutes, the first step in this great american hallmark, the peaceful transfer of power. >> well, i just had the opportunity to have an excellent conversation with president-elect trump. it was wide ranging, we talked
12:02 pm
about some of the organizational issues in setting up a white house. we talked about foreign policy, we talked about domestic policy. and as i said last night, my number-one priority in the coming two months is to try to facilitate a transition that ensures our president-elect is successful and i have been very encouraged by the i think interest in president-elect trump's wanting to work with my team around many of the issues that this great country faces and i believe that it is important for all of us regardless of party and regardless of political preferences to now come together, work together to deal
12:03 pm
with the many challenges that we face and most of all i want to emphasize to you mr. president-elect that we now are going to want to do everything we can to help you succeed because if you succeed then the country succeeds. >> well, thank you very much, president obama. this was a meeting that was going to last for maybe 10 or 15 minutes and we were just going to get to know each other. we had never met each other. i have great respect. the meeting lasted for almost an hour and a half and it could have, as far as i'm concerned, it could have gone on for a lot longer. we really -- we discussed a lot of different situations -- some wonderful and some difficulties. i very much look forward to dealing with the president in the future, including counsel he
12:04 pm
explained some of the difficulties, some of the high-flying assets and some of the really great things that have been achieved so mr. president it was a great honor being with you and i look forward to being with you many, many more times in the future. >> talk about a sacred space in the oval office and how words and body language and tone matters. karen tum miltie is the national political correspondent for the "washington post," mark preston is here, he's a cnn politics executive editor and david, the senior politics writer for "u.s. news and world report." great to see all of you. not a dull moment in this town, the two men sitting there, the
12:05 pm
president-elect, the president-elect it is a nation divided for every person who is bummed out this week someone is elated. do you feel hopeful after watching that? >> i think the thing that was most heartening is that these two men -- the outgoing and incoming president had their attention exactly where it should be sps an is zant sfausy after zavt, on as -- on the continuity of government, president obama knows he yes tos a lot to george w. bush's for making that transition as easy as possible for him and, you know, again i think that the healing of the differences of the country is something that is going to have to happen. it's going to have to take a long time but right now these two men have something very important and urgent in front of them. >> appreciated president-elect trump saying "i thought this would last 15 minutes and it lasted 90 minutes." that has to be a good sign. i'm wondering beyond chatting in
12:06 pm
the oval, did president obama give him a tour? do we know any more about the visit? >> we don't have specific details and i suspect we'll see those in the coming hours. probably not as much as we would like. but one thing is donald trump said he expected to be talking to him several more times before he takes office. and you have to wonder what exactly -- what was the conversation. did president obama say listen i understand you want to get rid of obamacare, here are some things that could be fixed on obamacare. gloria was talking about this last hour did he give him the advice of don't think you have a mandate where you can change everything because if you do in like that you'll be a failure. there's no such thing as a mandate anymore in american politics, it's an overused word. the fact is donald trump and he won decisively and he should have the respect of the office but the fact is in washington, d.c. it's divided government, we are a divided nation and while they won't always agree on things, you have to agree on some things.
12:07 pm
>> as we're talking about the two, the president and the president-elect, david, to you. we know at some point very shortly the vice president and the vice president-elect will be having a conversation and donald trump has never spent a day in his life -- yes, he's a businessman but he's never pent a day of his life working in politics and government so how integral will governor pence, or i should say vice president-elect pence be? >> he could go down as the most powerful vice president in history, even more powerful than dick cheney, i mean, donald trump won on a populist movement on people's fears, on change, but he doesn't understand the levers of government, the way this town works day in and day out. mike pence was a house member, he was a governor, he understands the mechanics of government, how you put together a budget. that will be a big deal, donald trump's first budget presenting that to congress. mike pence can go up there and
12:08 pm
direct him on who you need to talk to, the committee chairman, the staffers, pence has those relationships. i think he continued to forge the relationships in the campaign when things were going wayward for trump so i can't overestimate how important pence is going to be to trump to guide his legislative agenda through. >> so in addition to all of that, looking at pictures, tim nafta naftali, i know i have you now, we're watching speaker ryan with donald trump and melania trump who as we watched walked holding hands through the halls of congress along with mike pence and senator mitch mcconnell. but when you look at these pictures and we were eavesdropping he was saying "this is where you'll be inaugurated, this is the view from my office." what do you make of all this. >> well, first of all it's real, it's going to happen and president obama made a decision almost immediately to raise no doubt -- >> let me jump away.
12:09 pm
ohio governor john kasich at the white house. >> frankly, every sunday in the church where i go they pray both for the president and for the governor and i happen to be the governor but whether i am or not and when i leave that office they will still be praying for the governor and today i said my prayers on the plane for the success of donald trump and i think as americanings we all need to come together because it's the lives of our children. my daughters here that a president of the united states can really have success, we know there are a lot of people in this country that struggle. a lot of people who are hopeful things will be fixed, well, they won't be fixed overnight but what we can all do as americans is join hands, join arms, say a few prayers for the success of the next president of the united states i want to also compliment the president himself, president
12:10 pm
obama and also secretary clinton who i think were really inspirational in the way in which they embraced the outcome of the election. so for those of you in the streets, think about the fact that america works best when america is united. it doesn't work best when we are divided. that's been my message and it will continue to be my message as we move forward in this new time. so thank you all. >> let me back up two steps because i know you're thinking -- actually, here's donald trump, president-elect trump trump, forgive me still on capitol hill walking alongside his wife, the first lady to be. let's listen. >> we have a lot to do. we're going to work very strongly on immigration, health care and we're looking at jobs, big league jobs.
12:11 pm
>> reporter: are you going to allow congress. [ inaudible question ] >> thank you, everyone. >> here's what i made out and hopefully manu raju was sitting there. i think i heard something about health care and jobs and perhaps a question on banning muslims and that's when the president-elect said thank you and walked away. so let me just remind all of you, let's back up a step. why is ohio governor john kasich at the white house? good question. it's because he came with the champions, the cleveland cavaliers, their big wins this a man who within his own state refused to go to the republican national convention because he did not want to see what is reality a president-elect donald trump. tim naftali, pack to you just
12:12 pm
listening to governor kasich's words, a message that has reverberated through the town, a message of unity. >> nobody wants a return to 1952 when president-elect with dwight eisenhower and president truman didn't talk to each other. after a bitter election campaign these two men refused to show in their actions the kind of unity the country needed. clearly president obama put aside what personal feelings he must have to move forward. i wanted to mention one other point. i believe just been listening to donald trump today that he gotten a intelligence briefing from the president. he mentioned at one point the capabilities -- he stopped himself, he is going to have to learn about how to do that but i suspect the president laid out for him the incredible intelligen intelligence. >> anxious to get going early and so are we.
12:13 pm
>> reporter: [ inaudible question ] >> so just total transparency, it's tough, we catch some of these quick gaggles, reporters are waiting for these -- for the president-elect or the senate majority leader to stop by so we caught the tail end of that. sorry tim for cutting you off constantly. >> those people have power, it doesn't matter, cut me off. the point was listen to what donald trump said. i suspect the president laid out for him the immense capabilities that the u.s. has in intelligence so that he understood that what he was receiving now -- because he's getting a full presidential briefing now -- is based on superb information i think the president was trying to encourage him to be more empirical and reality based. i'm guessing but listen to what trump said. i believe the president-elect did get an intelligence briefing from the president of the united states today.
12:14 pm
>> i can't confirm that. i know that he could have starting yesterday begun getting these classified security briefings as he is now officially the president-elect. kwa karen, turning to you and watching these powerful men and some women walking around the halls of congress, perhaps this is the trump motorcade and we can catch a glimpse of him hopping in the suv, how are you feeling? what are you thinking? >> i am going to be fascinated to see what style of transition this is. we've seen -- for instance, president clinton's transition was very chaotic, he was very anxious -- he focused a lot on his cabinet because he wanted to send out the symbolic message his that his cabinet was going to look like america. in retrospect he didn't focus on his white house staff so he had a chaotic first year. by comparison president obama did the opposite, they built the white house staff meticulously during the transition, donald
12:15 pm
trump, as he told us during the campaign, really didn't have much focus on this question he was too busy trying to win the race. so i think in the way he manages his transition, we are going to get some hints as to how he's going to approach the presidency. >> i know you wanted to jump in on this. your dark horse pick for the trump administration? >> a couple things, when we're talking about donald trump and his campaign, he doesn't have washington behind him, he didn't have hiss party behind him, had it been hillary clinton it would have been a seamless transition, many people have stayed in similar roles perhaps not in the cabinet level but roles below. he'll need people who understand how to work with capitol hill. david talked about how the vice president was a leader on capitol hill, a governor who understands it but here's one name to keep in mind, a lot of people don't know who it is. >> his name is david urban. he was arlen specter's chief of staff. he went through impeachment with arlen specter, he went through
12:16 pm
the 50-50 senate, which i know that was a long time ago. talk about a chaotic time in washington and david urban is well known by democrats and liberals, they trust him. he's also a decorated war hero from desert storm and a west point guy. so when we're talking about chief of staff or who they'll put in there to try to get things done, this is going to be the type of person they need and i know the trump's like him, he won pennsylvania for them. so let's look at the people doing the work, pence, in many ways. >> thank you very much. coming up next, we will talk about the fear many people across this country are feeling. it's real, it's raw, we will go hearing from all sides. plus the man who helped george w. bush joins me live on what is going to happen behind the
12:17 pm
scenes in preparation for the trump administration. i'm brooke baldwin in washington and you're watching cnn special live coverage. will your business be ready when growth presents itself? american express open cards can help you take on a new job,
12:18 pm
or fill a big order or expand your office and take on whatever comes next. find out how american express cards and services can help prepare you for growth at open.com. won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. find out how american express cards and services the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company.
12:19 pm
with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
12:20 pm
>> i'm not an angry white old
12:21 pm
man. i just feel that i've been through -- well, i've been alive for 65 years and i've seen a lot go on. and i just thought there's -- this may be the first time i've seen something we can change. >> a lot of people are -- kept quiet about a lot of things. as to what the government was doing, they wouldn't open their mouth or say anything about it. and they want a change of their lives and they voted for donald. >> two donald trump voters explaining why they think he is what america needs in the white house. a lot of people think he's an agent of change but when you talk to other people in this country they truly fear what flex trump could represent. there have been multiple
12:22 pm
protests across the country, there's one in san francisco right now. dan simon is there walking with protesters. dan, what is their message? >> we are here on van ness avenue. it's a major thoroughfare. we have approximately a thousand high school student s students e a thousand high school students who decided to skip school and marge together. many of these people here are not old enough to vote but as you hear them chant anti-slogans, they are disgusted by what happened and the election. i i'm joined by a couple of the organizers, this is victoria. you are a high school student, what does a donald trump presidency mean to you. >> it means a lot to me right now because a lot of my family, a lot of my friends are undocumented and it's not fair. it's really not fear that he said that he will deport, every mexican, every central american.
12:23 pm
he said that -- basically mexicans are drug dealers and that's not true. it's very not true. we are a working class, we are struggling in this city and it's very hard, especially with the house prices and everything else so this means a lot to me right now. >> what do you feel you can accomplish by having a rally like this. >> having our voices out here. telling the mayor to help us out. at least something you know. having our voice out on snapchat and ins grm. >> thank you very much, appreciate it. these are peaceful protests brook. these are people who want to make their voices hear loud and
12:24 pm
clear. they said they feel like strangers in their own country and they wanted to express their outrage over what happened. i suspect we'll see it again tonight. >> thank you for that young woman's voice. we're hearing from all sides here in america. dan simon, appreciate it. let's have a big conversation. angela rye is here, former executive director of the congressional black caucus. steve cortez, a member of trump's national hispanic advisory council. paris dennard, cnn political commenter and trump supporter and amman ismael who wrote an article for slate called "i'm muslim, i'm afraid and i can't afford to show it." but angela, was that young woman making you emotional? >> yes. i grew up in a house with an
12:25 pm
activist, brook i was privileged to grow in seattle where there was a jesse jackson rainbow coalition. one of my mothers is a former college administrator, one of her colleagues was a native american man who i got to learn firsthand from what it meant to be a part of a country that took so much from you. and to hear this woman talk about borders that we've established that didn't used to exist is heart wrenching. i think about the man who drove me home election night and talked about being a muslim american in this country and saying to me -- i was sobbing in the car as the results came in. >> why? >> because i was shocked and so disappointed. it wasn't even about hillary, it was about -- it wasn't about partisanship. all the rhetoric donald trump
12:26 pm
used this campaign that was so anti-american, so the opposite of what this country is supposed to represent and he said to me is there another pathway? because i'm muslim. and i broke down in tears again and i said i don't know how to console you in this moment because i don't see a pathway. now, the donald trump that showed up today perhaps that's who he'll be as commander-in-chief and one can hope but the fact that we're not sure is i think the most dangerous thing period. >> i'm listening to you and i want to make sure i listen to the other side. you heard that young demonstrator with dan. what did you hear? how would you respond to her? >> i want to say a couple things, first of all i represented the campaign but since that's done i want to be clear the viewers i'm not representing the transition team now. i'm speaking as a supporter of donald trump and as a latino conservative. one thing trump did in this campaign and a reason he's so hugely outperformed by the way, among latino voters, massive surprise on election night, one of the reasons is that he spoke to the american people and said
12:27 pm
the media and the left have this twisted. they want to act like people who are here illegally are the victims and that's not the case. the victims are legal americans, many of them, by the way, latino themselves, who had to deal on the front lines with the pressures brought by so much illegal immigration, particularly wage pressure because they have to compete with them in the labor market in some cases, they have to deal with violent people who we refuse to deport because they live in sanctuary cities and he said they're not the victims, the american people here are the victims and, by the way, for all americans, latinos, people of every color, every creed, what we need from muslims, what we need is economic growth, that's why there's so much anxiety and anger in the country. he tapped into that but not just exploiting it, offering solution s and today he did a wonderful job, he and president obama, two men who have disparaged each other, both of them acting gracious and presidential. >> i think though, so much of this, and i'm listening to you
12:28 pm
very closely, is just emotion. this is still very raw for a lot of people, for every one person who is elated, the other person is crushed and amman you mow this piece in slate "i'm muslim and i'm afraid and i can't afford to show it." explain that to me. explain how you're feeling. >> i want to say first quickly that i'm not here to complain about my feelings. i do believe that we elected someone who does not understand that his words have have consequences and just in the past two days since he's claimed victory we've had violent attacks against muslims on college campuses and other places. in louisiana a woman was beaten up by two trump supporters, one of them wearing a trump hat so i do want to separate the emotion bit from the danger bit as well. because this could be very dangerous and this is what we're afraid of. we're afraid of the trump supporters more than we are of his rhetoric. >> so why are you -- why do you say you're afraid and you can't
12:29 pm
afford to show it? >> the reason i said i can't afford to show it is because we need to be strong for each other at the end of the piece i came to the conclusion that we can no longer depend on people in positions of power to help muslims and make us feel more comfortable or call off people who might resent muslims and act on it. we can't depend on that anymore. we've had -- how can we trust someone who spoke to anderson cooper on this network and said "i think islam hates us." that puts american lives at risk, muslim american lives at risk and we can't depend on that. we need to depend on each other and be strong for each other. >> paris, let me turn to you, we've talked multiple times and you say this loud and proud, i'm an african-american man who supports donald trump. can you also appreciate the fears from the young woman or from angela or the muslim man who drove her on election day? you're also not donald trump so
12:30 pm
you can't respond for him but what can he say to the country in this precious time to say i will unify? >> i think it's important to point out a few things. one, as an african-american trump supporter i have had death threats, people have called me out of my name and things i couldn't repeat. my mother called me and said paris, don't look at your facebook page, the things they're putting on there makes me sad. and my mom stopped watching some of the networks. not trump supporters but african-american clinton supporters because of me being a free person. but there are people on both sides that muslim and african-american and that aren't afraid. many are part of the national coalition for mr. trump but here's the point you wanted to make. are the fears that others have justified? yes because you saw a lot of people on i think -- that supported secretary clinton that
12:31 pm
were talking about and i think ratcheting up a lot of the fear and tactics and words and phrases that were pushed on them to talk about mr. trump in a way that i think did not accurately reflect his character and his record and so are the fears real? yes, they're real. but do i think they're valid? no, the opportunity for mr. trump is he's not candidate trump, he's now president-elect donald trump so he's going to have to show that he's making america great again not just r for. >> but paris -- >> hold on, one second. when i was at the white house i would tell my colleagues all the time when i was director of blackout reach, president george w. bush is the president of all americans, not just black republicans that support him but every single one so we had to have reverend sharpton there, jesse jackson, people who were adamantly opposed to his agenda but we brought to them to the table. >> paris, here's the problem with what you're saying.
12:32 pm
these are donald trump's own words. people are afraid because of his rhetoric. because of the ways he ratcheted up people at his rallies and events. perhaps there will be a distinction between candidate trump and commander-in-chief trump but the biggest thing we can rely upon is his records, his decades of years in prison and how he treated employees, contractors, the central park five. we don't just continue to talk about the central park five because there were five black and brown boys who were a part of this, it's because it's representative of a larger issue. the fact the cca, their stock went up yesterday when he was elected, right? like we have real issues in this country and he has to say "everything i've said for decades and everything i said on the campaign trail i didn't mean." and that's the issue. steve cortez, who is on this segment with us, shame on you for invalidating this young woman's feelings, real fears
12:33 pm
about what it means to be undocumented in this country. shame on you for calling a human being illegal. shame on you. >> i did not invalidate her. if you are here imlegalillegal. if somebody breaks into my house i say they are a burglar. words matter and we have to use words properly and if you don't respect the immigration laws of the united states then you don't belong here. by the way that's most ill subtling to legal immigrants people like my father like millions of latinos who went through the process to become americans the right way and we love im -- steve, i'm not sure you should be talking about human beings with words like that. >> but at the end of the day we are a country of laws and even the current president of the united states has deported more -- >> true. >> they call him the departer in chief. >> true. i think language matters. >> i think it was ratcheted up by the clinton -- >> no, it wasn't. >> i want to go there, when tim kaine went to an hbcu and said
12:34 pm
donald trump represents kkk values -- >> he was endorsed by a kkk paper. >> so you're telling me there wasn't one -- >> david duke celebrated his election. >> he's irrelevant. >> he got 55,000 votes in louisiana, that's relevant to me. >> he's irrelevant. but there are democrats who are kkk members who supported secretary clinton so to make blanket statements and assume there's no racists or people who don't askieb to republican values that i do is wrong. >> you know me and i never said there aren't racists on the american party and that's a different rabbit hole. the main thing we have to talk about now is how this commander is chief is going to be responsible for the rhetoric on the trail, he had to sit down in if oval office today with someone who he questioned their birth in this country and whether or not he went to harvard. he asked for him to produce his harvard crypts. >> and you saw him there he
12:35 pm
called president obama a good man. >> he rose above it. >> they both did. let that be a symbol because it's a symbol on what he says moving forward. thank you both so much. this is such an important conversation and steve and amman, thank you as well. many moving on, president-elect trump will fill cabinet positions and make that transition to the white house. my next guest knows what that process is like. we'll pick the brain of george w. bush's former press secretary ari fleischer. ari joins me live next.
12:36 pm
♪ approaching medicare eligibility? you may think you can put off checking out your medicare options until you're sixty-five, but now is a good time to get the ball rolling. keep in mind, medicare only covers about eighty percent of part b medical costs. the rest is up to you. that's where aarp medicare supplement insurance plans insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company come in.
12:37 pm
like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, they could help pay some of what medicare doesn't, saving you in out-of-pocket medical costs. you've learned that taking informed steps along the way really makes a difference later. that's what it means to go long™. call now and request this free decision guide. it's full of information on medicare and the range of aarp medicare supplement plans to choose from based on your needs and budget. all plans like these let you choose any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients, and there are no network restrictions. unitedhealthcare insurance company has over thirty years experience and the commitment to roll along with you, keeping you on course. so call now and discover how an aarp medicare supplement plan could go long™ for you. these are the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp,
12:38 pm
an organization serving the needs of people 50 and over for generations. plus, nine out of ten plan members surveyed say they would recommend their plan to a friend. remember, medicare doesn't cover everything. the rest is up to you. call now, request your free decision guide and start gathering the information you need to help you keep rolling with confidence. go long™. ♪
12:39 pm
breaking news on cnn, aaron
12:40 pm
schock, former illinois congressman, has been indicted for defrauding the government. a federal grand jury making the call. an ethics investigation revealed he used taxpayer money to fund lavish trips and events and, according to that indictment, it happened as far -- from 2008, actually, to last year. it's a long-held tradition to assure americans that even the most bitter political rivals can peacefully transfer power from one administration to the next president-elect trump met today with president obama. the very first time these two have ever met happened just today in the oval office. president obama said the conversation in a word was "excellent." president-elect trump said they talked about challenges and differences. let's talk with someone who has seen, been part of a major transition of power at the white house from the inside, ari fleischer, a former white house press secretary for george w. bush. ari, nice to see you,
12:41 pm
congratulations for you and your part y party. >> thank you. >> you got it. let's begin with the pictures from within the oval and seeing the president-elect and the president, a conversation that president-elect trump said would have lasted 15 minutes, lasted a solid 90 minutes. what do you make of all of this? >> well first and foremost it's awe inspiring. i don't know that donald trump has ever been inside the white house before. maybe they was in the mansion for some type of ceremonial function but to go into the west wing, the roosevelt room, the cabinet room, the oval office, i had never done that despite being on clul fapitol hill for years before i went to the white house with george bush. it's the most inspiring feeling because of what the white house represents for the entire country. when you step food into those hallways and sit in those chairs and occupy those offices. >> probably humbling to anyone
12:42 pm
walking into that say credit space, in terms of behind the scenes at a meeting like this, ari, do you think president obama would have taken him on a tour? or just a conversation? >> i would anticipate just a conversation although i have no insider information but if i was barack obama i would recognize this is a unique chance to get in the ear of the next president of the united states and to say to him about a whole series of policies which get short shrift in the campaign, here are the substantive facts you have to look at. for example, the debt limit, an issue that forced crisis upon crisis, here are the implications if we have another debt limit crisis in 2017, the iran deal, i know you want to withdraw from the iran deal but here's what will happen if you do, a, b, c. this is president obama's unique opportunity to try to get a couple layers deep into the reality of policy, my hunch is probably probably spoke for three quarters of the meeting, donald trump was a good listener
12:43 pm
for 25% of the meeting, i think that's what president obama probably did on issue after issue important to him. >> what about cabinet picks, ari? our reporting is team trump wants to fill the chief of staff as soon as possible. they want cabinet officials named as early as two weeks from now. if you were advising the president-elect, what would you say about the chris christies and the rudy giulianis of the world for cabinet positions? >> pick outsiders. donald trump won because he ran to change washington and that is what he has to deliver on. you have to promise on the things you promised to deliver on and you need an outsider's perspective want washington, surround yourself with people who are outsiders. >> we know also he can start getting those classified briefings, barbara starr at the
12:44 pm
pentagon said he will be receiving daily intel briefings shortly. do you remember when president-elect bush had his first briefing and do you remember the look on his face when he walked out? was he overwhelmed at all? >> well, i wouldn't say overwhelmed but i do remember and there's two levels two this. president-elect trump right now is now receiving what they call the pdb, the presidential daily brief, the written document give on the the president of the united states and an extraordinarily small group of people around the president but there's another briefing president trump is not getting and won't get until shortly before the inauguration and that's an oral briefing which is a discussion about our covert activities around the world. hets not yet getting that and there are reports i heard he was getting everything president obama is getting. not true. he won't get that until shortly before inauguration day. >> there was a quote. i think you retweeted it from september, peter teale in the
12:45 pm
atlantic wrote -- it's relevant now, he wrote the press takes him literally but not seriously, hiss supporters take him seriously but not literally would you agree with that? >> absolutely, brooke. you put your finger on why the press coverage was so flawed. the press many of whom are writers, they're literalist. you said this, i will cover what you said. the american people aren't like that. when donald trumped talked about thousands of people on roof tops in new jersey celebrating the 9/11 attacks, the press took him to task, there weren't thousands. but the american people heard the larger point was that some people in the united states celebrated the attack. whether the number was 303 or 3,000. and this is a huge -- >> >> but ari, words matter. you gave that as an example but building a wall, banning muslims, words matter. >> again you're separating what the media does for a living from how the public interprets public
12:46 pm
events, the press is literalists and this is the job of the press but don't miss the bigger story at the same time, so trump was wrong on certain facts but he was right around the bigger truths and that's what the american people heard and this is why so many reporters have a cultural disdain for donald trump kbhiel so many american people have a cultural disdain for the media and people have to figure this out. the media ha to figure it out because it's vital the media is accurate and relevant. trump figured that out, the media needs to figure it out, too. >> i keep saying it and i'll say it again, we need to listen to one another moving forward. ari fleischer, thank you very much. a short time from now donald trump's lawyers are due in court for a hearing and lawsuit against trump university, we will show you the cnn interview they ear fighting to keep out of evidence.
12:47 pm
12:48 pm
12:49 pm
just a short while ago here in washington, house speaker paul ryan refused to share a stage with donald trump after the comments revealed on the hot mike tape. that was a while ago. today the two met as partners in a republican-controlled government in a matter of weeks. with me doug hi political commentator. and ben ferguson, cnn political commentator and cnn radio talk show host. with all your years on the hill,
12:50 pm
first talking about speaker ryan. it was amazing looking at the pictures of him on his balcony showing president-elect trump and melania. what a difference days have made. >> absolutely. >> between him not even saying his name when he voted, to this. >> you used the perfect word. partnership. if you look at what paul ryan said today and at his press conference yesterday, i would use also the word eager. he is eager to enact conservative legislation and has the opportunity to do so now, which in divided government we've seen six years of tough gridlock. now washington will be able to do big things. not just obamacare, which we know is a big issue. also, tax reform, which wasn't going to happen in a divided government. the little things like an appropriations process that actually works. that's a big difference. >> here is what i am wondering, ben ferguson. you have a speaker, ryan, who loves to crunch numbers and is this policy wonk. then you have donald trump, who
12:51 pm
has never served a day in political office but he is a guy who closes a deal. what do you think that relationship will look like? >> i think it will actuallywork really well for two reasons. one, donald trump is more of a big idea kind of guy. i think he'll say this is my big idea. this is what i want to do. if you want to get into the nitty-gritty, knock yourself out and i'll come help you close it. i think they have a lot of common denominators that bring them together automatically. they may not have agreed with each other during the campaign or even in their style. right now they both have things they can agree on. you have the debt ceiling coming up. they'll probably deal with that sooner than later. obviously obamacare. then you have things like the supreme court. so i think you'll see this be actually a really good marriage. because donald trump is not going to want to micromanage everything on the hill. if he can find an ally in paul ryan, let him do those things, i think the american voters will be shocked how many things can
12:52 pm
actually get done in congress. >> i love to hear that. i think that's so positive. doug, let me ask you. not only is not this country feeling kum ba yah between dems and republicans. there are a lot of republicans down the street here who did not support donald trump. what potential fights could break out even just within the republican party on capitol hill? >> well, look, obviously capitol hill has been divided. i lived through some of those wars, have a lot of scars still from that. this is an opportunity for republicans to come together. paul ryan crisscrossed the country campaigning for republican members and promoted a legislative agenda called a better way. that's a blue print for what the house and senate could do well. >> what could be the biggest difference? >> one, turf wars. if you look at the first two years of the obama presidency, the house often fought with the senate, the house and senate often fight with the white house. those are inevitable. but this is why we talked about earlier in the show the chief of
12:53 pm
staff and secretary of defense and those positions. one of the problems that the obama white house had, not just was its attitude towards congress, but a legislative shop that really wasn't interested or known on capitol hill. that's going to be one of the real important places for obama is to appoint a legislative director who is going to work hand and glove with house and senate republicans. >> we have to point out, someone else said it on the show, that mike pence could be the most powerful vice president. he served as governor and in house leadership and now will be the vice president of this country. doug and ben, thank you so much. i'm out of time. i have to go. as president-elect trump and his budding administration focus on plotting out the transition into power here, there is one glaring distraction for the president-elect. on the monday after thanksgiving, a trial is set to begin in san diego in a class-action lawsuit against trump university. trump could be called as a witness by both sides. the suit alleges trump misled and defrauded students enrolled
12:54 pm
in his real estate program. and today there was a hearing to decide what type of evidence each side can present. so, to drew griffin we go, our investigative correspondent. what can we expect from that? >> we can expect the president-elect trying to defend himself in not one but three lawsuits coming up here. there have been big developments in advance of the hearing which takes place in half an hour. the judge seems poised to eliminate one of the biggest defenses of trump's university, one that we have heard so many times, especially on the campaign trail that the student evaluations in which trump claims 98% of students were happy with the seminars they were attending, judge ruling earlier today that is irrelevant to the case. he is planning not to allow it. the judge may allow everything else trump said on the campaign trail including tweets, statements and, brooke, maybe even the flare-up in which he criticized the very judge himself for being of mexican heritage. judge gonzalo curiel says in a
12:55 pm
preliminary hearing he's incolliinclin inclined to allow that evidence into trial. >> one of your stories -- your actual story here on cnn. part of the evidence in this case. >> reporter: the plaintiffs wanted to get in -- it's a candid and honest interview we did with one of trump university's top instructors, james harris. the plaintiffs say they can't find him to drag him into court, so they wanted to play our story instead. her it here it is james harris. >> do you remember when you said i am a former license agent broker at 29 i became the top 1% broker in the country, i build homes in atlanta, georgia, and i used to live in beverly hills. >> yes. i -- if i said those things, they are true. i did live in beverly hills, and i -- >> we have no record of you ever living in beverly hills. >> okay. well -- >> we can't find your broker's license anywhere. >> okay. >> and i have no idea what homes
12:56 pm
you have built in atlanta, georgia. you build homes in georgia? >> i am not prepared to answer those questions today. >> brooke, you can see why the plaintiffs wanted to use that, and especially wanted to get that guy into court and perhaps why nobody can find him. the judge says, you know, that -- playing that tape is basically hearsay. i think he is correct on this and plans to deny the motion to play the tape, says he wants to know more about where james harris is and why the attorneys cannot get him into court so they can question him themselves. >> all right, drew. thank you, on the three cases. you'll be following it. you' you're watching cnn's special live coverage mere in washington. i brooke baldwin. back in a minute. ... only allstate sends you a bonus check for every six months you're accident-free ... silence. it's good to be in, good hands.
12:57 pm
what makesheart healthysalad the becalifornia walnuts.r? the best simple veggie dish ever? heart healthy california walnuts. the best simple dinner ever? heart healthy california walnuts. great tasting, heart healthy california walnuts. so simple. get the recipes at walnuts.org.
12:58 pm
turn the trips you have to take, into one you'll never forget. expedia plus rewards. earn points on over one million hotels, flights, and packages.
12:59 pm
1:00 pm
president-elect donald trump, meeting with the guy he once called the founder of isis. "the lead" starts right now. president-elect donald trump meeting hours ago with president barack obama. i think it's fair to say the respect they have for one another knows bounds. what was side inside that oval office? trump now tasked with building an administration that could decide the way forward for this country. where could rnc chairman reince priebus land? we'll ask him, live. plus, after months of allegedly messing with our democracy, does vladimir putin see a partner

115 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on